Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: "Pre existing conditions, holiday insurance and hospital referrals"  (Read 13812 times)

Katejo

Re: "Pre existing conditions, holiday insurance and hospital referrals"
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2016, 12:50:02 PM »

Usually meno is covered except if you have osteoporosis, I guess you are more at risk of breaking something.

Many conditions even if you have medication are covered unless you've been hospitalised. Although I called my usual co once I knew about the gallstone and they wouldn't cover even when I offered to pay more! So had to call another one who noted it and no extra charge, however, I doubt I'd get covered now after the attacks.

One of the questions is have you had gallbladder surgery, I'm assuming there is a period when they won't cover you in case of stones in the duct or complications? I'll need insurance at some point this year but it's always scary asking the question to these people!

I know someone who has a injury and can't get insurance on that part of their body even if they got ran over or something happened that wasn't a fault of the condition. Surely all insurance is risk based and you should be able to get it even if it cost more? Travel insurance is very pricey in Oz, twice as much for a single trip as I used to pay for an annual policy in the UK.

Isn't it the case that they won't cover you after surgery of any type for a specified period? I have never seen a question specifically about gallbladder surgery. What type of injury does the person have who can't get cover for that part of the body? I declared a wrist fracture last Summer but I'm not sure whether I would have to declare it again now as it has made a good recovery.

limpy

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2016, 03:31:02 PM »

It's difficult to know what to declare,
Ok your wrist has recovered but insurance companies always seem to look for a reason not to pay out.

dazned

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2016, 03:56:38 PM »

Each company asks different questions all you can do is answer them all truthfully. If it asks what hospital appointments you've had it usually says over specific time scale.

Katejo

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2016, 12:00:39 PM »

Ok your wrist has recovered but insurance companies always seem to look for a reason not to pay out.
True but they also want an excuse to charge you more  ???

dazned

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2016, 02:04:03 PM »

Yes but better than them not paying out or covering anything that you need  :D

wombat62

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2016, 10:12:11 PM »

Gallbladder surgery seems to be a question over here on a few forms. Stones (from the liver) can still cause problems for some people after it's removed so perhaps it has a waiting period....will have to ask the question, under an assumed name lol...

I'm amazed that insurance pays out on anything, some of the guidelines on policies here exclude cover for; being treated for anxiety and/or depression; any doctors visits for back problems so it won't cover you for any damage to the spine. So if you have been to the docs for back/neck ache and you get run over by a bus and break your back, your back may not be covered. So those two conditions alone probably exclude a good percentage of the population being covered.

I'd rather pay more and be covered but with one company even that wasn't an option, just didn't want to know. Being Brit/Aus does cover you for emergency treatment in quite a few countries who have agreements but of course it's always the plane journey that needs covering as that could get expensive.

limpy

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2016, 10:50:55 AM »

True but they also want an excuse to charge you more  ???

Do you, or do you not, want cover?
Pages: 1 [2]