Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: A returning bug, hormones or something else?  (Read 3803 times)

Briony

A returning bug, hormones or something else?
« on: December 29, 2015, 12:13:31 PM »

Since I know I'm prone to health anxiety, I'd really appreciate your views to knock a bit of sense into me.

Early Nov my partner and I both had a horrible bug, stinking cold, tired, head ache, cough etc. It seemed to clear up, then days before Christmas I had another cold and cough. It was less severe, but coincided with really bad fatigue (woke at ten on Boxing Day, then fell asleep on settee late afternoon!) and shivering, even when heating is on. Yesterday my cold had totally gone, but I still felt tired, lightheaded, had random chills and felt a little nauseous. Has anyone else had this? How long did it last? I  can't work out if my hormones are playing up, if it's just a long lasting bug, or something else?

What's made it worse is that I also have the worst ulcer I've ever, right under my tongue. Often get one here, I think because of a sharp tooth, but this time it's been horrible - can't speak or eat properly. Usual treatments haven't touched it  >:(

Full of joy, aren't I??? Sorry! Just hoping others have also found the bug lasts ages and includes fatigue, so that I can at least stop worrying!

B x

star35

Re: A returning bug, hormones or something else?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 03:55:44 PM »

Hi iv`e had just the same into my 3rd week now. Cough and cold has gone but just not feeling well yet. As soon as I start to have a little potter I feel exhausted my legs are weak and I have to rest again.Also no appitte. Husband has been just the same.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 05:08:03 PM »

Sounds like the warm weather is allowing bugs to have several 'goes' at us  >:( - we had the cold/cough in late Oct., 9 days break then again through November and I coughed for weeks followed by annoying irritation in the throat.  No temperature but was really tired the 2nd time around.

Lots of fluids.  Rest.  Sleep when your body needs to!  Slow release foods ………..

Sunnydays

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 06:35:16 PM »

Briony you're not alone. Im going to call December the month of illness. My husband had what I would say was flu early December that lingered. He got better then 2 weeks later had an horrendous head cold ( and he's not the man flu type, rarely gets unwell). I think I've been fighting something for a good week - at one stage couldn't get warm just like you said, ear ache on another day. I kept it at bay until 2 days ago and I'm now in bed aching all over with streaming cold!

Briony

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 07:14:57 PM »

Thanks so much (not that I should  have pleasure in your suffering, but you know what I mean!).

So wish I didn't worry so much at the slightest hint of something different  ... in the past week I have diagnosed myself with hypothyroid and mouth cancer (though luckily last month's tumour seems to have miraculously disappeared thanks to some decent probiotics, laxatives and the first period in a while  ;)!).

Aghhh! I never used to be like this. Damn hormones! My NYR is 'not to google anything health related'!

Hope you all feel better soon,

B x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 07:17:41 PM »

There are lots of preparations to treat mouth ulcers  ;)

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 07:28:37 PM »

Hello Briony.

Both my husband and son have had something similar but I seem to have escaped so far!

I do remember being told by a GP that some viruses do linger while others appear to ease but return weeks later. When my daughter had 'slapped cheek' as a child I was told that she would have symptoms six weeks apart as the virus became dormant before resurfacing.

I sympathise with your health anxiety but try not to worry too much, impossible I know but worth a try!

Take care.

K.

Briony

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 07:32:05 PM »

Thanks so much for your understanding replies.  :)

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 10:32:08 PM »

Once you start to feel more yourself you'll stop a'worritin

LW44

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 11:29:43 PM »

snap Briony !  started with headache over a week ago.. by xmas day banging head streaming eyes.. ulcer... drained lightheaded... which turned to tearful.. "whats wrong with me?"  boxing day was my birthday - dragged myself out for meal... yeaterday spent in bed.. still not 100 %  -  and underlying anx about whats wrong with me ?? i know whats wrong - ITS A COLD/VIRUS -  Just need my brain to accept that 😊  hope yr feeling better soon xx