Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Christmas - a story of love and hate  (Read 21161 times)

gilaray

Christmas - a story of love and hate
« on: December 23, 2015, 05:56:45 PM »

THINGS I HATE ABOUT CHRISTMAS
 The intolerable build up 
 The retail frenzy, the buying of items that are just fripperies. We have everything, a lot on the world have nothing
 The media portrayal , there are so many for whom this is the most depressing period whether it be due to loneliness, or war and everything in between
The planning,  food shopping, cooking, cleaning. All extra at xmas, I would prefer to be waited on hand and foot and have someone else do all the prep and hard work. Perhaps the Queen could invite me for the xmas period, I dont think she has to go to Sainsburys!!
The crap TV over the entire xmas period
As for xmas day its no big deal, just a Sunday roast with paper hats and tinsel

THING I LOVE ABOUT CHRISTMAS
 The no mans land week of xmas is the perfect chance to get together with family and friends, and only at xmas would you ever drink champagne in the morning!!!

Dulciana

Re: Christmas - a story of love and hate
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 06:30:13 PM »

I hate the secularisation of Christmas.
I love the Christmas services.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 06:40:17 PM by Dulciana »

gilaray

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 06:42:36 PM »

YES Christmas carols - love them

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 06:42:59 PM »

We don't bother with all the rubbish. I ignore all the hype as much as possible. We don't like over eating and feeling rough or eating rich foods. We don't drink a lot. I don't bother with decorations any more, just the lovely tree and cards. Low key. Relaxed. I hate the crowds when shopping, but this year I had food delivered, did my shopping early as I knew I would be convalescing. My daughter cooks the meals.

This year will be a bit more special, as my grandson is now 3. He's excited about Father Christmas, advent calendars and presents.

My son and his wife really want to be here with us. My son says he wants his daughter to love Christmas like he does. He says I made it magical. We didn't have loads of money and kept it simple. We made our own traditions. The plane fares are really hiked up at Christmas, but he's talking about coming next year. I hope so. Then we would have 2 children running around to make it special.

I have missed singing Christmas carols this year. Dulciana, you must be immersed in all the music at the moment. How lovely.

Dulciana

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 07:38:11 PM »

Dulciana, you must be immersed in all the music at the moment. How lovely. 

Mm-hmm!  There's a lot of it, Ju Ju, but it is lovely.  And I'm going to play the Hallelujah Chorus at half past midnight......   ::)

I bet you're glad you're having your food delivered.  That must have helped you so much, at the moment.  Your family Christmasses sound wonderful - what  joy to look back on.   And what a joy to look forward to your little grandson experiencing Christmas!  Have a happy time.

Dulciana

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 08:25:29 PM »

Thank you! I am looking forward to it. My grandson is wonderful to give presents to, as he loves everything we give him. He plays with everything and on his birthday, opened presents to the cries of ' I like it! I like it!'  And he automatically says thank you. Suffice to say, it is easy to spoil him. We spread present giving over both Christmas Day and Boxing Day, mainly because my parents come on Boxing Day and GS is not overwhelmed.

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 08:56:58 PM »

I don't dislike Christmas, I hate the New Year. Just hubby & I to cook for this year. He said not to go to any bother, so am doing some cheating. Shop bought prepared veggies which I just put in oven. Hopefully catch up on Skype with granddaughters.

clio

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 04:19:50 AM »

TBH im unsure about christmas, I put up the tree and decorations at the beginning of christmas and try and get excited, I hate christmas shopping, never know what to buy people, to many people about (dont like crowds).  Since getting married and buying our own house our familey christmas changed, my parents and brother come to our house which is good as parents in there 80's so they like to be waited on which is fine.  87 year old Auntie who lives on her own has joined us the passed couple of years which is nice.  I think ive come to dislike christmas because it more for children and I dont have any.  Infact yesterday after everyone had gone home I got very emotional and started to cry, mum and dad look so old and I started to think of past christmases when I was little and growing up.  Im not good with change and dad made a comment on living on borrowed time which made me sad as im close to my dad.  I think thats why i didnt sleep too well last night and one the computer with a brew so early.  I hate New Year and Jan, Feb, Mar depresses me alot.  Basically im not in a great place mentally at the moment.

Clio

Louisa

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 08:28:09 AM »

Hate,
Not seen my kids since 1996 (they are now 32,34 and 36) coz of a controlling manipulating ex. Don't ask me what or suggest what I can/could do as I've done it already  :'(Yes I've done all the usual regarding trying to see them, have given up).  So I don't like Christmas, then it's my daughters birthday on New Years Day, so don't like that or New Years Eve either.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 08:44:15 AM by Louisa »

Ju Ju

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2015, 08:40:16 AM »

Louisa, I'm so sorry about your situation. I hope it helps to 'talk' about your children and to be heard here. I can understand how this time of year is the most painful time of all. I hope you are experiencing love at home now.

Louisa

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2015, 08:44:43 AM »

Louisa, I'm so sorry about your situation. I hope it helps to 'talk' about your children and to be heard here. I can understand how this time of year is the most painful time of all. I hope you are experiencing love at home now.

Yes I've a very loving and caring husband.

Ju Ju

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2015, 08:58:23 AM »

Good. You deserve unconditional love. And what is there not to love about you! I send you my love too.

Louisa

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2015, 09:06:20 AM »

Good. You deserve unconditional love. And what is there not to love about you! I send you my love too.

Thank you Ju Ju, what you say is appreciated  :thankyou: :hug:

clio

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2015, 08:46:12 AM »

Sorry to hear that Louisa, you seem to be in a worse place than me.  If you need to chat about it we are all here for you. :hug: :hug:

Clio

Louisa

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2015, 09:03:47 AM »

To cut a very very long story short.  I suffered domestic violence - not really physical, more mental.  We decided to get divorced, the kids were adamant that they wanted to stay with their father  ( heaven knows why) therefore they needed the house to live in, one of had to leave and as the kids wanted to be with him I left.  I went to a womans refuge and was there for a year.  He must of influenced them not to see me, heavens knows I've tried to see them.  I did find one of my daughters a few years ago, I went round to seen her, was told to go away and received a solicitors letter tell me never to contact her again .  I was a very devoted mother, I didn't do drugs or booze, they were my life.... I've given up, I'm staying positive in case they ever do decide to see me sometime way off in the future then I will be in one piece, not an emotional wreck etc.

Oh, it's my eldest daughters birthday on New Years Day too. :'(
Pages: [1] 2 3