Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Jogging or cycling? Which is best for new starter?  (Read 2199 times)

Rebelyell

Jogging or cycling? Which is best for new starter?
« on: December 09, 2015, 10:55:06 AM »

I am 55 and whilst I have no need to lose weight I would like to do something about my aerobic capacity.  I have done yoga twice weekly for over a year, and it has benefited my posture, stability and muscle tone hugely, but now I would like to make a new year's resolution to get aerobically fit.

Jogging is easier/cheaper - but people suggest it is harmful on joints [my husband is of this opinion].  However, will be best in terms of aerobic workout and stopping my heart thumping when going upstairs!
Cycling - expensive in terms of bike purchase, and am about to move to house on top of hill, but potentially more useful in terms of going places on bike.  But, might just tone thighs rather than be aerobic?

Answers from converts to both please! ;D

Rebelyell

Re: Jogging or cycling? Which is best for new starter?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 10:57:00 AM »

BTW - should have said.  Am totally not an exercise person.  I always used to joke that even after my hysterectomy I still kept to my exercise routines [walking to car/off license/fag shop].  Am now non-smoking, virtually teetotal and don't even drink caffeine!

Want to get rid of stress and be fit in terms of not puffing for breath.

Galadriel

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 11:12:07 AM »

Hi Rebelyell,

I used to run (did half marathons) and I now cycle instead. I just seemed to be more prone to knee and hip issues which would make some of my back muscles hurt. In the end I took the hint from my body and changed to a bike. No more knee and hip issues. ;)

The bike purchase looks like it would be the main issue but if you choose running, I would go to a proper running shop and have your running gait analysed. The staff can then advise and fit you with the correct type of running shoe (a Godsend if you want to avoid injuries) - be warned, some of those trainers can be as expensive as a new bicycle!! :o 

That said, we are coming up to Sale time so you might be lucky and get yourself a nice bike/trainers at a decent price.

Now that I cycle, I haven't grown a cyclists butt or thunder thighs but I do feel fitter - I can run up flights of stairs without breaking a sweat ;D ... added benefit is it also reduces stress. Yay! You could mix it up with cycle/run one day and brisk walking the next day.

Have fun deciding  ;D

Galadriel x

SadLynda

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 11:13:29 AM »

I do yoga too, and walk each day as I am a dog walker so think that is quite enough for me.  What about swimming? I hear that is very good.

From someone else who just used to drive to the fag/wine shop too - and is also smoke free, alcohol free and caffine free.  (not by choice I hasten to add).

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 11:28:15 AM »

Jogging/running is bad for the skeleton.  Cycling is good although it doesn't use the same muscles as jogging.  Cycling is more expensive if one goes into safety gear etc..  Skipping is cheaper and won't be as damaging as jogging because 1 doesn't skip for as long.

Brisk walking?  Nordic walking?

Swimming is good for weight less exercise.

I walked round town this morning, does that count  ;) and never forget housework!  Pushing the hoovery-thingy around, reaching up to dust, lifting books/crockery/ornaments up and down  :whist:

bramble

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 02:55:33 PM »

Brisk walking esp as you are about to move to a house on a hill, would do to start. Then cycling would be my next choice. Pick the lightest bike you can afford. Have you got cyclepaths near you as cycling on the road is no fun? I used to cycle along disused railway paths and canal paths.

B

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 02:56:47 PM »

Invest in an electric cycle - 1 that needs peddling to re-charge the battery ready for that final push up the hill to your new house  ;)

Dorothy

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 05:05:11 PM »

Walking up and down those stairs?  Free, easy, doesn't require going outside in the wet/cold/dark and you're right by the kettle for a restoring cup of tea when you finish!  I read something last year about how going up and down an average flight of stairs 6 times was a really good workout!

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 04:19:40 PM »

Very brisk walking is really good all round activity - although personally I want exercise to really get my heart thumping so something aerobic. Walking up hills fast does this though! Most housework these days generally doesn't, although is good light/moderate exercise unless you are on your hands and knees scrubbing floors (which I don't!). Dusting doesn't really count ( but I rarely do that  ;D ).

If it were me I would start with intermittent brisk walking and then do the odd bit of running eg run and count to 60 and gradually build up that way. I love riding my bike though too - but not round here because it's too hilly - not that keen!!

Hurdity x

Milamam

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 04:46:23 PM »

Good topic - made me think what I would prefer doing !  ::)
Due to slight incontinence issues, I cannot do running (or jumping, etc), and I love biking so if I were you I would chose that. My all time fav though is swimming, it just relaxes me mentally and physically so well that no other type of exercise can! In any case, congratulations for being persistent with exercise, so so important in this age for us!

Milamam