Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Referral to Gynaecology for Fibroids - considering private care  (Read 3437 times)

BrightLight

Referral to Gynaecology for Fibroids - considering private care
« on: December 17, 2015, 05:58:01 PM »

Hello - after my ultrasound this week where I was told I had multiple fibroids and told I need further assessment by a gynaecologist I have been fairly anxious.  Both about the potential treatment needed, perhaps worsening of what are mild symptoms right now but also the referral system that seems to have made me fixate on thinking things are serious etc  Perhaps because I have only been referred once and that was for a simple cervical polyp.

My GP just phoned to say the report from the ultrasound was in and if OK with me he is going to refer me and I should hear in the next few weeks but the appointment could be a way a way.  He asked me what my symptoms were and that was it really.  I asked if this was urgent - no. He said it was routine and they would decide on treatment and MAY want to look further at the fibroids but they may not.  I asked if watch and wait was an option and he said maybe.  I said I had looked at the NHS website for fibroids but haven't got many symptoms but there is a list of treatments and is that what my options are, he didn't really reply and just said the referral would discuss things but when I mentioned that menopause can shrink them, he said yes they can.  I asked what size and he said 4 medium and smaller ones.  I guess he is referring and his opinion isn't relevant really.

I think I am reading into things and assuming that the fibroids are so big that surgery is the only option and that is why they have refered me - I realised this is the assumption I am making after putting down the phone.  He didn't say that and I didn't ask.  Do we have a choice in these matters?  Can you say no to surgery if it isn't urgent?

I rambled away to the Dr saying, I think I have an understanding of what I want to know; which is where they are and are they near anything that will be compromised if they grow and to discuss the fact that at menopause they might shrink, but that obviously I want to be aware of the situation and all possibilities.  Putting down the phone I started getting anxious that perhaps I have no choice and that no one is telling me surgery is the only treatment.  I didn't however mention surgery at all!

I have investigated private consultants and could see one next week.  Does anyone know how this works, if I see a consultant for an opinion of what they would suggest, do I then have to stick with them and do I then lose my NHS 'place' as it were?  I read on the internet that many women refuse surgery for fibroids as long as they can cope with symptoms but I think in my case, the symptoms are not an issue but perhaps the size/position and potential for growth is and a professional might advise removing now to avoid problems. 

I need some help managing the process of getting to a treatment plan - I am used to having medical issues that are given one solution and that's it. In this case, I have presumed it is surgery and quite frankly I am upset about that possibility.  Do you think this is a process of deciding a course of action and not just one course - is that the role of a consultant as opposed to a GP who makes more clear cut decisions? I wonder if they would tell me straight that surgery is likely?

Oh golly, I know no one but the consultant will be able to answer me really, but it's useful to write it down.  I feel a bit overwhelmed and black and white thinking has taken over. I really hope this process is collaborative and I have options. I think that would feel ok, right now I feel there is only one option which in reality hasn't been said. 

I am hating my mid 40's right now  ???

BrightLight

Re: Referral to Gynaecology for Fibroids - considering private care
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 06:06:06 PM »

Health anxiety through the roof - when he said they might want to look at them again, I didn't ask why, I just said they couldnt see the ovaries etc (that's because I am still worried it's something else) and he said no, because the fibroid is in the way.  I need to trust these people and that a routine referal does not mean they are still checking me out - they have diagnosed fibroids and need to decide a treatment plan. I do wish Doctors were explicit for health anxiety sufferers.

I am almost crying here - might get back to decorating the Christmas tree which isn't going well either, as my cat is trying to eat it! But it does make me smile

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 06:18:03 PM »

Poor you BrightLight. I understand that you feel anxious but my advice would be to wait for the appointment and then see what is offered and go from there. You wont be rushed into surgery but will be able to make an informed choice. It's not as if you are having horrible symptoms and so need to act quickly i.e. going down the private route. I think that if you do decide on a private consultation then you can still return to the NHS route if you want to.

At the end of the day the choice is yours. If you don't want surgery and they are not causing any problems then you can just leave things as they are. I think it would be useful though to go along to see what they suggest. Nobody can force you to have surgery if you don't want to. What surgery do you think they might advise?

Taz x  :hug:

BrightLight

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 06:49:23 PM »

Poor you BrightLight. I understand that you feel anxious but my advice would be to wait for the appointment and then see what is offered and go from there. You wont be rushed into surgery but will be able to make an informed choice. It's not as if you are having horrible symptoms and so need to act quickly i.e. going down the private route. I think that if you do decide on a private consultation then you can still return to the NHS route if you want to.

At the end of the day the choice is yours. If you don't want surgery and they are not causing any problems then you can just leave things as they are. I think it would be useful though to go along to see what they suggest. Nobody can force you to have surgery if you don't want to. What surgery do you think they might advise?

Taz x  :hug:

Thank you so  much, I needed that calm steady perspective.  This is all so very knew to me, I haven't had any operations since I was about 4 years old or even had to stay in hospital.  I have been fortunate, but unfortunately I do have memories of bad experiences when I was 4.  But that was then and this is now.   

I think I will wait for the NHS appointment but also check with my surgery as to returning to them if I do decide to get a private consultation sooner.  I am worried about a hysterectomy being offered, from what I read online (and I do know that every woman and fibroid situation is different) this is the main offer for large symptomatic fibroids and although I don't have major symptoms, I am clearly showing signs of mild pressure symptoms, which is due to the growth and size.  I definately want reassurance about their position before I choose to watch and wait, because I wouldn't want to do that if there was any chance of compromise to other structures or maybe more complex surgery later on. Hopefully a consultant can give me guidance on that.

I have read about other surgical options that are less invasive but not sure they are appropriate for the type of fibroids that I think I have - which are at 4 large ones on the outside of the uterus but maybe some inside, the ultrasound could not see.  I think I am still a bit freaked out to discover the weird sensations I have been having and the tight lower tummy are infact masses in my uterus - maybe that is partly why my head is thinking surgery, because despite my massive fears, I do have a small part of me that might like to 'get them out'.  I feel a bit conflicted to be honest - part of the process I guess.

I really appreciate your reply

BrightLight

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 12:27:11 AM »

Thank you Sparkle - I feel calmer now and more able to just wait and see without too much anxiety about a) the fact I have this issue or b) what will happen to sort it.  I feel more confident that everything will be ok, whatever happens.

Ask me again tomorrow and I might be a nervous wreck again;)

Your post is really helpful.  I would be more comfortable with the least invasive surgery possible and it's useful to hear you were able to have this. I have jumped the gun and catastophised thinking mine are sooooo big or this or that and it will all go wrong etc.  However, when calm I am able to accept all outcomes and think a bit clearer and your words 'informed choice' is something I am going to remember when I next get in a pickle - the consultant will hopefully help me feel more empowered about this by explaining things etc.

Can I ask how long the fibroid took to grow back - I have this in the back of my mind as well.  Being 45, it could be that shrinkage is a way off with post menopause hormone drop but according to my Dr earlier this year, I was well on the way (but in hindsight I think I might as well forget that) but.........it's tricky really.

Thankfully I am not in major discomfort and all the mild symptoms come and go, though the consultant might advise the size is close to causing an issue.  In an ideal world I think I would ask for 3 months and a rescan to see if things are growing or not, maybe there has been a growth spurt and things will stabalise.  What I don't want is to do nothing really, action to remove or wait and watch carefully. 

Gosh, I feel like I am thinking straight again :)  This forum is so crucial for sharing concern and hearing of others wisdom and experience.  Thank you x

BrightLight

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 04:56:05 PM »

Please don't apologise for brief response - I hope your dog is OK. 

I am having that ovulation type pain again today - that has happened all year, mind you I used to get it years ago - perhaps when the 'old' fibroid that I knew about was 'active'.  I know they say they regress at menopause but I think they must go through changes the whole time. 

I am understanding from all this that the journey through peri can include these types of issues and like hormones, it is all a bit unpredictable (damn!) I am glad that you are experiencing a plateau of sorts and long for that day myself.  I guess it's all part of learning about our unique bodies - but as you said before, some days I would rather not know.