Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Any quick fixes for 'anxiety' ?  (Read 12865 times)

dahliagirl

Any quick fixes for 'anxiety' ?
« on: November 23, 2015, 11:46:41 AM »

Hi

I think I have an anxiety problem.  That is - I am not anxious, but I have a few things on my plate at the moment, a rushed deadline (just finished yesterday) and woke up this morning to a feeling of dread, adrenaline, palpatations.

I made myself a lovely cup of coffee mid-morning  ::)  which was really nice, until I got half way through it and realised it was not the best idea  :o

I am being super-chilled, doing my breathing exercises and relaxing every few minutes, wearing my wheat bag round my neck.  This afternoon, I am off to ballet. Any more tips?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Any quick fixes for 'anxiety' ?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 02:58:36 PM »

You R probably doing too much.

My anxiety can strike at any moment.  Currently it's background but don't know why  :-\ ……… I've had 2 weeks without any.  Bliss. 

Rescue remedy.  Deep breathing.  Regular yoga.  Emergency medication. 

dazned

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 03:54:32 PM »

A long soak in Epsom salts bath ,works for me. Not much help in the daytime but.........a good night's sleep should follow hopefully. ;)

dahliagirl

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 04:18:49 PM »

I think I have a backlog of stuff brewing - I am writing a list and make a start on the things that are bothering me.  There is one of my activities that I think I want to step back from, so I will have to think carefully about that.

You are right - too much stuff and a good night's sleep needed.  ;)

The ballet was good, but did not enjoy the drive.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 04:20:25 PM »

Making a list can get the worry out of your head and away - I found journalling really useful!

Make a list of 'must do' and 'hobbies'?

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 05:04:54 PM »

What's a wheat bag?

A while ago someone posted this on my FB so I book-marked it - was going to start a thread but it seems appropriate to post it here if it is helpful - more about thinking positively so not sure if it's relevant to anxiety but have a look anyway?
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/healthy-living/these-two-minute-daily-habits-will-make-you-happier-immediately-researchers-say-10364823.html

Yes I agree that at this point in one's life it's good to take stock and if you can, as you say, step back from things that cause you stress or try to change them in some way so that they don't. Easier said than done because I am a terrible worrier and if I have something significant coming up (usually work related) I will just keep worrying until the date has past or task completed - and it is always perfectly OK and I wonder why I worried! It is very energy sapping!

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 07:15:45 PM »

I put 2 into charity recently, not been used for over 12 years  ::)

Rebelyell

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 07:23:09 PM »

Huffily, I have just read the happiness article you posted the link for.   Am desperate for an end to my health anxiety so am going to try the 21-day 3 gratitude  fix and the double it idea.

Anybody else reading this - take a look at the article.

I'll start with you Hurdity, thanks for posting so often and so helpfully, I am very grateful.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 07:42:18 PM »

Taking time to breath can help too.  Everyone is in a rush  ::).  we had a positive thread somewhere  :D

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 09:14:30 PM »

Thanks Rebelyell - and I don't get in a huff very often - hilarious autocorrect of my name there  ;D

Really hope it helps :) and do report back!

sparkle - oo-er I've not heard of that - doesn't it cook or go mouldy/get mites etc, and stay hot? I don't have a microwave so I guess it wouldn't do for me - is it as big as a hotty? Much safer though I can imagine, but when I do use a hotty (occasionally) I do love the comforting feeling of the water wobbling around....

Huffily Hurdity x :)

Dulciana

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 06:45:30 AM »

My anxiety definitely builds up when I try to solve all the day's issues in one go.  Like today.  My new technique is to make myself take a step back and deal with things one at a time, as they come up.  Not easy, as I've always been like this, but it does seem to help me relax a bit.

dahliagirl

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2015, 08:58:21 PM »

I have been trying to sort out my breathing - when I am anxious, it all goes wrong.

Taking time out in the moment to do it helps.

Dulciana

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 11:27:46 AM »

I started today feeling almost overwhelmed with anxieties.  I didn't want to move and things seemed rather black.  So I made myself take a walk to the shops to post my niece's birthday present, then when I came back I did some yoga, using the book my daughter had given me for Christmas.  My black and hopeless mood has lifted and my get-up-and-go has got up and come back.   

dahliagirl

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 12:17:25 PM »

That is good to ear.

I am making a concerted effort to relax every morning, and every night before I sleep.  It is just for a short time - then I enjoy the moment.  I am getting better at it and it is lasting longer.  I was getting frustrated before, because I would get one bit relaxed and the previous bit would clamp up.  I am having to relearn.

I think I have been holding my diaphragm tight, so that I appear to be resisting the last bit of breathing out, and the first bit of breathing in.  I also try and breath and relax this during the day if I notice I am breath-holding.

So far, it seems to help.  At least, when I start to feel it relax, I can welcome it and it feels nice. :)

I have done yoga off and on since I was a student.  I cannot remember anything properly without a class, but the breathing awareness/relaxation awareness is really worthwhile.

Dulciana

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 12:41:49 PM »

That's interesting, Dahliagirl.  There does seem to be a correlation between breathing and muscles being relaxed.  And you're right - it is nice to do.   :)
Pages: [1] 2