Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: BBC 1 'Doctor in the House' - Menopause  (Read 10924 times)

Jenna

BBC 1 'Doctor in the House' - Menopause
« on: November 20, 2015, 09:18:30 AM »

In last night's episode, the doctor stayed with a family where the husband suffered from Type 2 Diabetes and his wife had stress and menopausal symptoms, but did not want to take HRT. Interesting to see what was prescribed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06q6y95/doctor-in-the-house-episode-1

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: BBC 1 'Doctor in the House' - Menopause
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 10:08:02 AM »

In hindsight, I thought it a very wishy washy programme  :-\ - the basis of the idea is good.  However: the viewer wasn't told if the Family GP was on board; we weren't told if the scan which the husband went for was done privately or is available on the NHS; there weren't time lines for the various blood tests taken, nor were we told if they were NHS or Privately screened; acupuncture was shown but the viewer wasn't informed as to how many sessions she went for, nor how long they took ……..

Apparently the meno symptoms eased; however, the Doctor had suggested a complaint over-haul of their fridge and eating habits  ::) ………. he did point out that his suggestions, i.e. acupuncture had no proven basis and I liked his attitude.  The attitude of the husband though  :-\ ………… I think that if I started walking quickly between the houses down here, the Yellow Van would arrive  ;D …….. but it was a good idea to give a starting point for regular exercising - which I don't' do enough
of  :-\.

Wonder who his target will be next week?  I did see the 'other side' similar programme with Dr Xand (as stated in the TV Programmes thread) which was more detailed.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 11:09:11 AM »

I haven't seen the programme but will have a look when I have time so no idea what was prescribed! Was it acupuncture? If so presumably as a relaxation therapy?

It is vital that those who are unable to take HRT due to breast cancer or other medical contra-indications are able to have some relief for menopausal symptoms - why should they suffer when the rest of us do not have to? This is why it's so important for anything alternative to HRT ( and by that I mean everything from CBT, to ADs, herbal treatements and all) to be tried and tested properly - and particularly because anything these women may take must not worsen their condition.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 01:29:56 PM »

Do have a look on 'catch up'.  The programme tried to cram too many ideas into an hour so the viewer wasn't informed, the therapist put acupuncture needles into the lady's feet and ankles then removed them but we weren't told how long the needles remained in situ  ::)

If I remember I'll be watching next week's episode  ::)

bramble

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 03:24:39 PM »

We have to accept that programmes made for 'entertainment' will not be as good  in imparting deep knowledge as those made in the documentary style. As an 'enjoy and learn' type programme I thought it made quite a good fist of not coming across as too preachy but still imparting basic knowledge that people who were interested enough, could build on. But I did think that in the first programme where the chap drank a lot, they missed a trick by not breathalysing him in the mornings after. . That I think would have been just as useful a lesson.

Bramble

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 04:07:13 PM »

Bramble - the 1 on the 'other' side? he seemed destined not to take any notice of what was suggested  ::) - stroke and heart attack risks didn't seem to hit home, however, oesophageal cancer stirred his stumps!

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 09:20:12 AM »

what was the one on the 'other side'.  I can't find any reference to it?

lancashirelass

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 09:21:57 AM »

Acupuncture needles stay in for around 15 to 20 mins.  Try it !

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 02:25:10 PM »

It was on during Tuesday evening with Dr Xand  ;)
I did try acupuncture, it was too painful to tolerate  :'(

getting_old

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 10:31:06 PM »

Last night we ate out at one of those 'buffet' restaurants - and saw greeeeed in action. Not nice.

Some of those places are scary!! I usually take very little as I'm not a very adventurous eater, and have had several comments about not getting my money's worth  :-X

babyjane

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 09:59:04 AM »

I usually take very little as I'm not a very adventurous eater, and have had several comments about not getting my money's worth  :-X

It is my view that is you enjoy what you have had and feel satisfied then you have got your money's worth.

My mother used to hate things left on the plate, felt it was a waste of money and made us feel guilty but she lived through the war and rationing so it was understandable.  These days I don't like the way over indulgence is encouraged.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 03:09:14 PM »

Nor do I!  buy 1 get 1 free  ::) …….. OK as long as the customer doesn't read the 'use by' date and throw the 2nd packet away!!

Havne't looked at the schedules yet for this week ………

Night_Owl

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 03:03:09 PM »

I found this interesting - re: menopausal symptoms:  cortisol levels.

At 38:40 on the video the doc shows that Priti's cortisol levels (taken from saliva samples) were nearly 50 in the morning reducing down to 2.76 in the evening.

We've discussed it many times before, but there it is again - the explanation of feeling so cr@p in the mornings with panic, anxiety etc etc: high cortisol levels.

Priti found that meditation, acupuncture and magnesium helped to reduce her flushes etc.

The skeptic in me wonders how long the relief she experienced would last once she gets deeper into meno.

I'd love to have regular acupuncture, guess it must be great if you can afford it.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 08:32:11 PM »

It would have helped had we been told how long she 'did' the various alternatives and what relief was maintained.  Can't you get acupuncture on the NHS these days?  and I have no idea what it would cost otherwise. 

Cortisol is the one that causes early morning anxiety?