Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Reiki  (Read 18261 times)

Autumn

Reiki
« on: November 15, 2015, 12:25:41 PM »

A couple of ladies on this site have asked me to explain a bit more about Reiki and how it helps in menopause. (Hope it doesn’t sound too formal but it’s the only way to explain it!  :))

Reiki (pronounced ray-kee) is a natural and totally safe method of hands on healing. It brings balance and harmony to the mind, body and emotions. Reiki helps to speed up the body's own natural healing and is a gentle but powerful complimentary therapy. Reiki is effective in alleviating menopause symptoms because it helps to balance various systems in the body, including the body's hormonal system.
Reiki gives a ‘time out’ when you can just relax in an hour that is just about you and your well being.
It’s so important when you’re going through a process that has such a huge effect on your body, emotions and well being to have something to look forward to each week, fortnight or month.
Reiki makes you the best you can be at any given time.
We need to be gentle with ourselves and kind to our bodies when going through all the stages of menopause.
As women, we tend to be everything to everyone and feel guilty if we take time for ourselves or pay out for treatments for ourselves. Around the menopause is when we have to learn to let go of that a little and actually start being kind to us! We all need a little nurturing!
We can learn to be patient and gentle with our bodies, brains and feelings, not scold ourselves every time we forget something or we find another pain or feel too exhausted to do move.

It’s easy to’ lose’ who we are as our bodies change and we are coping with hot flushes, mood swings, exhaustion, anxiety, pain, lack of libido, fuzzy thinking, emotions that are all over the place and all the other things that can happen during menopause.
Reiki can help with everything in one way or another.  It calms, comforts and soothes and can help you find your way back to ‘you’ again.
If the mind is calm, the body tends to follow.
It is really worthwhile learning Reiki for yourself as you can then give yourself healing as and when needed. I found it really helped me to cope with things
I have been a Reiki practitioner for 14 years and know what a difference it can make to anyone who has treatments – people and animals!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 01:03:34 PM by Autumn »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Reiki
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 02:10:11 PM »

:-\    -   'hands on' - the REIKI teacher in our street explained that there is no physical contact  :-\

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 02:21:25 PM »

Thanks Autumn, what a lovely post.

How easy is it to learn a little Reiki. Would it just be the relaxation element that you would suggest.
Are there any books available to have a look at.
I find Mindfullness meditation very difficult as I have a grasshopper brain that I find hard to shut off so other ideas would be great.

Honeybun
X

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 04:05:22 PM »

I've had Reiki before - it is really relaxing.

Taz x

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 04:17:15 PM »

:-\    -   'hands on' - the REIKI teacher in our street explained that there is no physical contact  :-\

I'm guessing that "hands on" is used to suggest actually doing something oneself.

Autumn

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 04:21:39 PM »

CLKD - there are no right or wrong ways. Most practitioners use both very gentle 'hands on' or just above the body depending on need. 'Hands on' is not heavy like massage, but very gentle touch and the client is fully clothed. The hand positions are usually left in the same place for anything from 2 - 5 mins.
I for one don't like the 'hands off' treatment but everyone is different and if you said you didn't want any contact then your Reiki practitioner would do as you asked. It's all about you feeling relaxed and calm. :)
It's important to find a practitioner that you like and trust.  :)

Autumn

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 04:31:02 PM »

Thanks Autumn, what a lovely post.

How easy is it to learn a little Reiki. Would it just be the relaxation element that you would suggest.
Are there any books available to have a look at.
I find Mindfullness meditation very difficult as I have a grasshopper brain that I find hard to shut off so other ideas would be great.

Honeybun
X

Thank you Honeybun - I hope it helped a little! :)
The subject of learning Reiki is quite big as you need to be attuned so that you can start the energy flowing into yourself for yourself. There are three stages to learning Reiki: Reiki 1 is for self healing and treating friends, family and pets. Reiki 2 is so you can be a practitioner and charge. Reiki 3 is Master level, which shows that you've dedicated yourself to learning and practicing Reiki and can also teach it to others. A very good book is Self-Healing With Reiki: by Penelope Quest which explains a lot more than I can here about self healing and energy work.
If you had Reiki treatments, they might help you to be calmer and so be able to do your meditations if you wanted!
Hope this helps. X

Autumn

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 04:33:38 PM »

I've had Reiki before - it is really relaxing.

Taz x

That's great Taz, I absolutely love it.  :) x

Autumn

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 04:37:50 PM »

I'm guessing that "hands on" is used to suggest actually doing something oneself.

Hi Limpy,
Sorry, but I must have just missed you post. I just replied to CLKD about the meaning of 'hands on' and it is putting hands very gently on - but not moving them.
I think your suggestion of it meaning 'actually doing something oneself' is great though, as having Reiki or learning it is a great thing to do for yourself! :)

Joyce

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 04:58:51 PM »

Always something I've fancied having done. Someone I know used to practice it, but has since given up her business. She said it was wonderful to have done. Maybe have a look into as a treat to myself.

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 05:22:49 PM »

That's what I was thinking. I do have a relative that does it but she is too far away.

I can see a Xmas gift coming up.

Honeybun
X

bramble

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 06:32:55 PM »

I used to have Reiki once a month - very relaxing. Unfortunately the girl I went to moved away but I thoroughly recommend it.

Bramble

Ju Ju

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 07:41:50 PM »

Thank you, Autumn. Reiki is something I would love to try. You have explained it so well and your love of it comes over.

Night_Owl

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2015, 08:22:38 PM »

Thanks Autumn for the explanation - and welcome to the forum, great to have a Reiki Practitioner on board.

I've had Reiki sessions and loved it - the effect was so powerful - I remember feeling very emotional (tearful) not in a bad way though, a release, particularly when my ears were cupped.

Thinking about suggesting Reiki to my elderly father (he's very close minded though) my lovely Mum died last year and he's not coping very well emotionally, it may help him.

J x

groundhog

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2015, 09:30:25 PM »

Autumn - I felt relaxed just reading your explanation,  sounds wonderful.  I've had some reflexology sessions recently and I loved it - so relaxing I fell asleep.  I think she does Reiki too - I will make enquiries xx
Pages: [1] 2 3