Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Salt in your diet  (Read 12343 times)

honeybun

Salt in your diet
« on: October 28, 2015, 08:26:40 PM »

I thought this article was really interesting especially as I like my salt.

What can too much salt do to you?

Too much salt is known to cause high blood pressure, which can then result in heart diseases.  A sudden hit of salt, such as when eating a packet of crisps, could trigger flushes/sweats and palpitations. Too much salt can also contribute to dehydration, which in turn can cause anxiety, flushes, palpitations, joint pains and dry skin. It is also thought that falling oestrogen levels can make women more salt-sensitive, so even though you may not be taking more than usual it could start having a greater negative effect on your general health.
What foods contain salt?

Just about all processed foods, ready meals, sauces, etc., will have salt in them, including things you may not suspect, such as cereals and tins of tomatoes. Are you aware just how much you are putting on your food at meal times every day on top of what is already in your food? The healthy limit is supposed to be 6g (1 level tsp) per day but many people are unwittingly taking way over this amount!
How can I cut my salt intake down?

The best thing to do is to avoid processed foods etc and slowly reduce your intake at the dinner table.

Here is something you may not know – When you eat a lot of salt, the salt receptors in your tongue start to shut down to protect themselves against the bombardment. This is why people often find that they need increasing amounts of salt in order to ‘taste' food. The good news is that when you reduce your salt intake the receptors eventually start to wake back up and you become far more able to taste the saltiness of mildly seasoned food. Give yourself a few days on a low salt diet and see for yourself.
Please be aware that not all salts are the same!

White table salt is the equivalent of white bread – it has been processed and all the goodness taken out to make it more visually appealing. Real salt such as Sea Salt, Celtic Salt or Himalayan Salt is very different and contains a huge range of minerals necessary for our health. These salts are what is called ‘unrefined', are not white, and are considered beneficial in small amounts.

Honeyb
x

Dorothy

Re: Salt in your diet
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 08:57:38 PM »

Interesting that your need for salt can change with age.

I've had more problems from lack of salt - several times I've had muscle cramps and once total collapse due to lack of salt, but the doc did say that is quite unusual!!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 09:04:11 PM »

Welcome back Honeybun!

Too much salt is quite a common problem however, GPs kept telling my M in L to cut her salt intake and it almost killed
her  :-\

When she complained of cramp and dizziness I told her to eat more salt, her response was that her GP had told her to reduce it ……… hey ho! when the Consultant saw her blood results he couldn't say how she remained upright!

DH cooks a lot of Indian dishes so uses spices rather than salts ……. we don't eat many processed foods apart from butter, cheese and pizzas …… I do add salt to my chips  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 11:49:19 PM »

Interesting article Honeybun. The only thing I disagree with is that sea salt is any better for us than table salt. The sodium content is the same so it is just as bad for our health. http://www.worldactiononsalt.com/less/how/other/index.html

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 08:46:42 AM »

Alternatives to HRT  :-\  ;D

My husband has reduced his blood pressure by drastically cutting down salt in his diet - and the effects happened quite quickly. He bought a monitor to keep track of it and I would suggest anyone who is worried should do the same - they aren't expensive.

Hurdity x

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 09:04:45 AM »

Maybe Emma could clear this one up....

I thought that part of the alternatives theme was general health tips that could help with meno. Ie...that by cutting down on salt intake could help with hot flushes.
Grangravy started a topic within the alternatives section about avoiding scented products to alleviate irritation.

r
Is that too in the wrong place.

I'm quite happy to ask for this to be moved if that's what everyone thinks.  :-\

A tad pedantic though I think.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 09:07:08 AM by honeybun »

Linsey44

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 09:50:46 AM »

Interesting HB.  I use pink himalayn salt. It contain lots of minerals etc and is one of the healthier salts, if there is such a thing.

Linsey X

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 12:30:08 PM »

Sorry Prajna but I don't think it is a good substitute - it's still salt with a little bit of flavour added in  :-\

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 12:55:33 PM »

Good topic!

Salt is salt  :-\ …….. and why is anyone importing salt from the Himalya when we have salt mines in Chester!!!  >:( it's a gimmick and certainly NOT GREEN!  ;)   (Did anyone see John Craven in the Salt Mines, they are HUGE!, cavernous spaces  :o )

The body requires salts in the same way as it requires food  ::).  Cutting down processed foods will help the body over-all.  As for drinking ……… we've had this conversation previously ……. the body takes in fluids from food as well as what we take from the tap  ;)

SadLynda

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 05:20:26 PM »

anything diet related interests me.

One of the things I stopped was my beloved 'crisps' I used to have one pack of cheese n onion a day.  I found it harder to give up than smoking was, but I have done it.  We dont eat processed either and I use himalayan salt which I just add during cooking, (sometimes) but that depends on what I am cooking.

I wonder how long it takes for an improved diet to improve overall health?

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 05:22:14 PM »

We are what we eat so probably not long.  One only has to see what weight loss can be achieved with hard work and a change of Life style  ;)

SadLynda

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 11:31:20 AM »

:thankyou:

Limpy

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2015, 07:10:54 PM »

Apparently salt is linked to osteoporosis - too much thins the bones

"A high-salt diet raises a woman's risk of breaking a bone after menopause, no matter what her bone density is"
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/06/130617110931.htm 

n.b  Didn't see a mention of copyright

Re the need to demonstrate a link to "Alternatives to HRT"
HRT is used to promote bone density - reducing salt could negate the need for HRT in that respect.

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 07:19:48 PM »

From the same site http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/07/120711100724.htm  moderate drinking can promote better bone density! Not sure I believe it but it's encouraging!

Taz x  :D

Limpy

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 07:38:31 PM »

From the same site http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/07/120711100724.htm  moderate drinking can promote better bone density! Not sure I believe it but it's encouraging!

Taz x  :D

Thank you Taz   :thankyou:
Trust me, it's encouraging   :cancan:
Pages: [1] 2