Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Flu Jab 2015  (Read 14589 times)

honeybun

Flu Jab 2015
« on: October 09, 2015, 08:16:20 PM »

Has last years slight failure put anyone off.

Hubby gets his tomorrow and the kids and me will have ours later this month. Sons work pays for his.....he has to get one because days off with flu are frowned upon.

Daughter in her finals year doesn't want to take the chance and I need to be able to do what I do....so my family are going for it.
Also as the jab is not 100% effective I don't want hubby up close and personal with any of the family if they have flu.

All precautions being taken as usual. Also the older you get...ie....over 60, the harder it hits.

Honeybun
X

thorntrees

Re: Flu Jab 2015
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 08:26:24 PM »

Hasn't put us off, hubby and I had ours a fortnight ago at the GPs(we are both over 65 so free for us) any protection is better than none, no reaction to the jab not even a sore arm this time.

Thorntrees

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 08:30:09 PM »

Yes my opinion too.

Better some protection than none at all. I don't fancy hubby having flu at all being diabetic....or my mother at 93.

Honeybun
X

Limpy

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 08:31:08 PM »

We've got ours booked for later this month.
There's no way I want to risk flu.
Had it once it was truly awful, and that was when I was 17, no way I'd be able to cope with it now.
I know the jabs are not totally reliable, they can't be, the virus mutates. However they will give some level of protection. The other thing is OH hit 70 last month, so what with that and his heart issues, flu jabs it is   ::)
I wouldn't forgive myself if I got flu and gave it to OH.

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 08:36:01 PM »

It's the weeny ones and the over 60s and those with health issues that most benefit. I've only had true flu once. Fell asleep in the evening feeling not great, woke up an hour later with flu. I was 25 and have never felt so ill in my life before or since. Hubby had to take time off work to look after me....then he got it  ::)

I hope the uptake this year is really big. Less chance of people like my hubby and my mother coming in contact with it .

Honeybun
X

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 08:49:06 PM »

Better book mine on Monday as I'm having an op at the end of November. I had flu twice in my early 20s and my parents had to take me to their house as I was so ill. I wouldn't want to get it now with asthma complicating things.

robotwars

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 08:51:57 PM »

I had mine in September, little bit of a sore arm when you laid on it for a couple of nights, apart from that fine!

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 08:57:29 PM »

My one has come up in a big lump this time. However, it would never put me off having it done.  I get because of asthma.

peri

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 09:33:23 AM »

I always thought I didn't need a flu jab however after having flu last winter I have changed my mind it took me weeks to get over it and I certainly don't want to go through that again, luckily work pays for it so I will be having the jab for the first time.

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 10:50:27 AM »

I'd have it done if I could but have had previous allergic reactions to eggs which are involved somewhere in the vaccine production!

Taz x

Joyce

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 11:52:59 AM »

Is there not an egg free version? Sure you just have to give them some notice so they can order it. Of course I could be talking rubbish.

Just found this Taz. If you scroll down you'll find piece about egg free vaccines.
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/pages/vaccine-ingredients.aspx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 03:24:17 PM »

Don't believe in it ……….. had 'flu twice, recovered.  We've had this conversation before  :-\

Joyce

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 03:49:42 PM »

Yes, we have CLKD. However, there are many on here who, if they were to get a full blown dose of flu, would become seriously ill or worse! I suffer with asthma & bad chest cold can be horrendous for me. Some have other long term ailments, which can be exacerbated by flu.

I could rant on, but I won't.

Joyce

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 04:20:43 PM »

I can understand that Prajna. Once bitten, twice shy as they say.

I've been having flu jabs ever since getting pneumonia. I'd been coughing & spluttering for years before & did nothing about it. I'd more than likely had asthma & I just thought it was a cough, nothing to concern doctor about. Now I'm never away from the blooming place. If they're not checking one thing it's another.  ::)

Limpy

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 04:40:22 PM »

Don't believe in it ……….. had 'flu twice, recovered.  We've had this conversation before  :-\

Gosh CLKD you must have had a mild version of the "flu" to dismiss it so lightly.

Yes, the subject has come up before but some of us really don't want to get it and give it to those closest to us, especially when they are vulnerable.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5