Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Has Black Cohosh or Red Clover helped sweats?  (Read 17611 times)

Pollie

Re: Has Black Cohosh or Red Clover helped sweats?
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2015, 03:50:22 PM »

Hi jaki

you're damned if you do and damned if you don't !!  :)

Oestrogen can be beneficial in that it can help prevent bone loss/osteoporosis, it can improve deep sleep which in turn can help with muscle repair/recovery and give you more energy allowing you to excercise, it can improve mood which can lead you to  being more active and eat more healthily rather than crave sugar or alcohol, and it can improve skin and hair allowing some women to feel better about themselves.

There is also some research that indicates that some women with fribromyalgia have benefitted from oestrogen therapy but you will have to obviously search the Internet to see that for yourself.

Yes there are risks - but each woman has to find the right balance .

You can't possibly know the risks with 'natural herbal therapy,' because they aren't researched or measured. Many natural remedies can be very potent especially when taken alongside prescription drugs.

HTH

Pollie

Dancinggirl

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2015, 05:21:06 PM »

Good post Pollie - I'd like to add a few more benefits that HRT brings: prevention of bladder problems, UTI type symptoms, vaginal atrophy and also HRT can reduce the risk of developing bowel cancer!!!!

Being overweight, smoking and drinking alcohol actually bring a higher risk of developing breast cancer than using HRT.

There are risks and side effects with almost anything we take. The notion that herbal remedies are a safer alternative is misleading and these should be used with caution - after all many of the prescribed drugs we are given by our doctors, that are tried and tested, are derived from natural sources like botanicals.
DG x

Jaki T

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2015, 06:46:18 PM »

Thanks for your replies.

CLKD, my GP didn't just fob me off and I'm sure she would have given me more info had I asked but I was seeing her about a lot of other things and I was aware how late washed was running because she gives people a lot of time. Plus she knows I am anxious and wary about HRT.

Pollie, yes I'm aware of the proposed benefits of oestrogen, People on thyroid boards will  also swear by the benefits of T3 and T4. I'm trying to balance other people's reports with my negative ones  :(

DG, I have had bladder problems all my life. I don't drink or smoke. Yes I'm aware of side effects of herbals which is why I've not taken those yet either!

Many thanks
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 06:49:13 PM by Jaki T »

Mary G

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2015, 07:00:43 PM »

Jaki T, you may be interested to know that although I have never had thyroid problems, when I increased my dose of oestrogen, my all my thyroid readings came out lower i.e. better than when when I was on the lower dose.  I don't think it's any coincidence so it might help you.  My cholesterol was also lower. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2015, 08:13:03 PM »

I'm glad that you didn't feel fobbed off  ;) ………

Pages: 1 2 [3]