Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Has Black Cohosh or Red Clover helped sweats?  (Read 17609 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Has Black Cohosh or Red Clover helped sweats?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2015, 04:00:36 PM »

They eats lots of fish too apparently  ::)

Many ladies who choose the Veil suffer lack of VitD too  ::)

Mary G

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2015, 06:59:50 PM »

Jaki T, sorry for the belated reply.  Yes, you do have to get oestrogen gel from your doctor but if they refuse, you can get it online. 

I have been round the block on this and can tell you that the gel has worked the best for me by far.  It is bio identical and works best when unopposed by progesterone.  However, if you still have a womb, you must take progesterone for either 7 days per month or for 20 days every three months.  I am severely intolerant to artificial progesterone (I never had a problem with the progesterone I produced myself, only the artificial stuff) so I have to limit the use to the barest minimum but there is no reason why you should have the same problem.  Most doctors recommend using Utrogestan for the progesterone part.

All the bad press regarding HRT was from the old stuff they churned out years ago which was mainly oral, not much good and too high in progesterone.  The newest bio identical HRT is a different kettle of fish altogether and does not carry the breast cancer risks - it is the progesterone side of HRT that causes all the problems so that is why its use must limited.

Hope that helps.

Jaki T

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2015, 09:24:11 PM »

Hi DG

My blood pressure was normal more or less after I came off the pill.

Blood pressure goes up with age plus I have more weight on either due to the menopause and because of anti-depressants but they have helped me enormously with anxiety so it's a trade off. My bp isn't excessively high, but I was told it was bit high when I had my last two readings.

The thing is I have other conditions. I walk as I don't have a car but I have Fibromyalgia so I have debilitating fatigue. Diet is good. Could be better. I wouldn't use beta blockers again, they made be blackout.

What is an srri? Do you mean SSRI?  As you see I'm already taking a low dose and was told this can help some people with sweats but hasn't helped me!

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2015, 09:27:22 PM »

Buy a blood pressure machine and take it before breakfast every morning for 3 months.  Make notes.  Bet your readings are within normal limits and that when taken in the Surgery, you have White Coat Syndrome  ::)

Jaki T

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2015, 09:31:12 PM »

I used to get white coat syndrome but after having had so many normal readings the main worry was the pain of having my blood pressure taken (the automatic ones hurt me too much). But it'd still be normal. Last time I wasn't worried and then it was up.  ???

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2015, 09:34:16 PM »

The exam. shouldn't hurt, it can be uncomfortable but that goes as soon as the pressure is let off.

Jaki T

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2015, 09:51:15 PM »

That's the Fibromyalgia which means it doesn't hurt most people but hurts people with FM because of the way pain is processed  :(

Dana

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2015, 11:08:41 PM »

Jaki I understand your concerns about your past experience with the BCP, but it was probably the progestin that you reacted to and the dose of progestin in the BCP is much higher than in HRT. There are alternatives of a natural progesterone called Utrogestin. I've chosen not to use Utrogestan and stick to a progestin, but I only have to use it for 10 days a month. If I was to take a higher dose of progestin or take it for longer like on the BCP I would have problems too, but because I only need to take a fairly low dose for on 10 days I have no problem with it at all.

As for "white coat syndrome", I definitely have that. If I donate blood my blood pressure would always be fine, but if my doctor took it it would be up, and of course that can ring some alarm bells with HRT. So my doctor suggested I start taking it at home, so I do and every time I take it it's fine. I just write the results in a note pad and show it to her when I see her and she's happy to trust me.

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2015, 03:58:16 PM »

Ah Jaki T - thanks.

Jaki T

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2015, 01:33:06 PM »

Dana

I have taken progesterone in cream form (Serenity) and Projuven.  Maybe that explains why my bp has risen after being normal for years!

Even when they attempted to take my bp with one of those auto ones that strangle your arm (I have had to stop them before now) my bp wasn't up in spite of the anxiety about the pain.

I'm not convinced anyway that it was the progesterone in the pill that was the problem and not the oestrogen.  I spoke with my GP about it again the other day and yes there are risks re blood clotting and thrombosis with HRT even 'bioidentical ones' so I don't want to go down that road

Progesterone cream hasn't really helped with the sweating anyway.

Sorry I am missing replies as I've not worked out how to link with my emails.

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2015, 03:11:31 PM »

How large are the risks though?

Jaki T

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2015, 03:27:23 PM »

I don't know, but there is some risk and because of my history of bp it's not a risk I'm happy to take

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2015, 04:24:24 PM »

Did your GP not tell you the exact risks  :-\ - they are sometimes good at picking problems out of the air without being explicit!

Jaki T

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2015, 10:23:01 PM »

Hi CLKD

No, I said I was worried about increased risk of clots and strokes etc because of my past experience on the pill and my GP said there was a slight risk. I know it's probably low but I have to take into account my previous bp problems and also the fact that I'm thirty years older now and bp is more at risk when you're older.

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2015, 03:12:07 PM »

Your GP should have discussed this further with you  >:( not fobbed you off with 'small risk'. 

However  ::)
Pages: 1 [2] 3