Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Anyone decided to retire and gone through with it?  (Read 12344 times)

lesh1

• First Flush
Re: Anyone decided to retire and gone through with it?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 04:34:22 PM »

Thank-you CLKD for the welcome.  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2015, 10:02:35 PM »

People really annoy me - we was sat outside in the sunshine earlier and 3 different people wandered by saying stuff like 'it's OK for some', 'I really envy you' and 'OK we know you're retired'  :-\.  DH and I worked hard to get retired early, also what these people don't know is that due to illness I was unable to work for a few years so it's a bonus to know be able to enjoy his company  :-*

Dana

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2015, 04:20:34 AM »

I sort of “fell into” retirement in April this year. I'd been working part time for a while, but over the last few years my hours had gone from 25 down to 10. So I decided to look for another job, but then my mother passed away leaving me with an inheritance that I could add to the retirement money I had already accumulated – so decision made. I had been planning on retiring in the next 2-3 years anyway, so it was just brought forward a bit.

The first couple of months I became really depressed because I didn't have enough to do. There are only so many cupboards you can clean out and shopping, gardening and housework you can do. I became really overwhelmed by this “what the hell am I going to do with the next 30 years” thing.

So, being someone who can't stand listening to myself complain for too long, I had to push myself out of my comfort zone and join some groups and meet new people. Now my weeks are almost too busy. I met a nice group of ladies at a local coffee group, I've also joined a couple of other groups. I've even found out that I have a knack for acrylic painting, and do a class every week, even though I'd always said I couldn't even draw stick figures. Next month I'm going to be learning how to play mah-jong because I have some friends who really enjoy it. I have now become one of those really annoying retirees who says “I don't know how I had time to go to work”.

The only complaint I have now are those people who feel they have a right to judge and make comments about other people's decisions. I'm 56, so I have retired early, and because I look younger than 56, it makes it even worse. So many people have rather indignantly told me "you're too young to retire" or "how can you afford to retire". I wish I could be just as rude and tell them to mind their own f***ing business. So basically I don't tell many people I'm “retired” anymore. I usually just say that I'm taking a break from work for a while. I don't feel that I should have to justify myself, or give them personal details about my inheritance, so if anyone has any ideas of a polite but cutting comment I can come back with to those people I'd appreciate it..lol...

Anyway, after that very rambling post, the one piece of advice I now give to working friends is that planning financially for retirement is only part of the equation. You also have to plan for what you're actually going to do with all that spare time. Most people still need to feel productive and active, and that can be a challenge when you've just spent the last 40 odd years working. Retirement depression is actually a very common ailment (or so Dr Google tells me), so make sure you allow time for the adjustment.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 04:25:50 AM by Dana »

dazned

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 09:10:42 AM »

How about a cutting remark such as

"Yes I'm so glad I worked really hard all my life and planned wisely so I could retire early and enjoy some me time ! "

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2015, 02:27:34 PM »

I had already stopped working, I looked after dogs for people at work and after a year into DH's stopping work, I handed the last one back.  Now we are able to lay in, have a leisurely breakfast by the pond, get up and go …….. or get up early and 'go' ……. housework, what's that  ;D : it was never a high priority  ::)

A cutting retort - like your suggestion Dazned ………  ;).  Could it be made into a large badge  ;D

DH has taken on more chores around the house, we garden together ………

Dana

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2015, 02:01:08 AM »

How about a cutting remark such as

"Yes I'm so glad I worked really hard all my life and planned wisely so I could retire early and enjoy some me time ! "

Thanks for that suggestion. I'll have to rehearse it so it rolls off the tongue next time...lol...

I sometimes also like to say "well I've just retired from work, not from life".

I've worked full time, and without taking any breaks at all, since I was 15. So that's a full 40 years, with only the last couple of years as part time. I think everyone has a right to retire from work after all those years..lol...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 02:05:34 AM by Dana »

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2015, 07:33:27 PM »

Thinking about the retorts, those people were at least 25 years younger  ::)

andius

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2015, 01:20:36 AM »

Just read the rest of the comments and a heartfelt thanks to all who contributed.

I gave my notice of retirement recently and really hate going to work now! I am ready!!!...been working since 14 even during college years and raising 3 children.  I deserve to enjoy these years and some quiet time to myself before I get too old. As far as things to do, I have a "to do" list that is so long I don't even know what is on it anymore but won't get to deeply into it for a while.  The upcoming times that will keep me busy are the holidays, first grandchild born in Feb 2016, child #3 getting married in May, and my elderly father still getting chemotherapy for cancer. Daughter (mother of first grandchild) has to go to 2 destination weddings in June as a member of the wedding party....one is in Jamaica and one is in Italy, so I will be taking care of my grandchild then as her husband's parents live thousands of miles away. It will be nearly a year before I will have no major "jobs" to take care of. Only then will I be able to wonder what I will do for the rest of my life.  LOL!!

Andius
Pages: 1 [2]