Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Anxiety Medication  (Read 3347 times)

Cassie

Anxiety Medication
« on: September 04, 2015, 08:26:25 AM »

Good morning ladies, I need some input esp from those that are on anti anxiety meds.
My mum is now 87 and for as long as I can remember, I would say, the good part of 40yrs, she has been an extremely anxious person and has taken Valium tablets all these years.
She is physically and mentally, lucky enough to be in excellent shape apart from this debilitating constant anxiety, which varies from her being afraid to fall, she has a walker, to various other issues.
A friend of mine suggested that after taking Valium for so many  years, perhaps she has become resistant to it and nowadays there may be something more suited to her, I am afraid of her taking anything too strong @ her age, but would appreciate any feedback from ladies whose parents are on anti anxiety meds, so that I can take her armed to my GP and perhaps he would agree to change her meds or do you feel that Valium is better suited in this case, sorry am not very clued up on these sort of things at all, thus the questions.....

Thankyou

honeybun

Re: Anxiety Medication
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 09:07:10 AM »

I really don't know much about ADs but I would think you would have the devils own job weaning her off Valium after all these years. It would take a long while of tapering off and the side effects could be awful.
Personally at her age I would leave well alone but you GP is the one to advise.

Honeyb
x

babyjane

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 09:11:30 AM »

My gut feeling agrees with Honeybun especially at your mum's age but I would suggest talking to her GP certainly as we are not medically qualified to really advise regarding your mum.

Cassie

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 10:05:22 AM »

Thx ladies not looking so much for medical advice, that I can get from the GP but to hear if anyone else has had experience in older people and anxiety meds....

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 01:02:26 PM »

No, sorry Cassie, can't help with your question.  good luck though  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 02:26:36 PM »

How much Valium and how often does your Mum require it?  What dose does she take and when?

This can be discussed with her GP who could probably suggest her taking an AD along with a reducing dose of Valium.  It can be done. 

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 04:05:03 PM »

You may find this odd, but my mum thought she still needed her meds for anxiety in her late 70s & her GP happily prescribed them. She was on what my brother & I referred to as her "uppers & downers." She was on so many meds for best part of 30 years. However, there came a point at around 78 or so that a psychiatric doctor thought she was on too much. Meds were stopped & for first time in 30 years my mum became more human, albeit confused due to Alzheimer's. 

Not saying your mum is the same, as everyone is different, but has she been  assessed as still needing her meds?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 04:30:54 PM »

I found during withdrawal from an AD that symptoms were worse for the day and a half after dropping a slight amount.  Once I realised that the effect didn't get worse and eventually went, I was able to wean off - took 9 weeks  ;)

How does your Mum feel about it?

Cassie

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 10:32:05 AM »

She takes a valium 5mg half twice a day. Havent discussed with her yet, she tends to get anxious about such discussions but will happily take what I put in her pill box doesnt really question in that respect.