Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Heartburn  (Read 38874 times)

Dyan

Re: Heartburn
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 02:41:21 PM »

Will do HB  :thankyou:

Dyan

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 09:58:45 PM »

Seem to be doing well on the lansoprazole.
Such a relief to be free of heartburn.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 02:19:21 PM »

I swallowed my AD too quickly last night and had symptoms for about an hour  :-X managed to get to sleep.

Angel45

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 09:15:55 PM »

Hi
I have been taking lanprozole in a morning for about 3 months now due to really uncomfortable indegestion, after taking it for a few days felt loads better, have recently been the doctors to see how safe it is to keep taking and on repeat prescription for 12 months.

Was horrible before felt very uncomfortable with it and got all anxious that it was something worse, which in turn made it worse, never really suffered before until hitting this certain age and stage of life!!

Dyan

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2015, 02:11:06 PM »

Was going ok with the lansoprazole but boy! the heartburn is back today with a vengeance.
Had it since after breakfast and much worse.
Phoned Drs and they have got me in this afternoon.

Like you Angel45,I keep thinking it's something else,which doesn't help the situation.
I don't really want to eat and drink because it hurts but I'm hungry so have had lunch but it's no better :-\

SadLynda

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2015, 02:58:16 PM »

oh fgs, had no idea this was a symptom too, I just mentioned somewhere else I had heartburn last couple of days.

Hope you get some help at the docs Dyan.

Angel45

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2015, 04:18:07 PM »

You heard it more in my voice than a cough, which did take a few weeks to go, I find now that u avoid certain foods and the healthier I eat the better it is. The doctor did also help to put my mind at rest as I felt really worried about it, hope your visit to the doc helps

Dyan

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2015, 04:51:30 PM »

GP update:
He is sending me to have a camera( can't remember the name) :-\ put down :-\ and mentioned another test that will take  2 weeks to come through. He couldn't say how long for the camera though.
He said to carry on with the lansoprazole and to take gaviscon inbetween when needed.
Because of the symptoms I have he said he wasn't worried,but because I've had this for more than 5 weeks on & off it is time to have a camera down.

My DH has had this camera put down twice. The first time without sedation but the second time he was sedated and he knew nothing about it.
I think that's the option I'll go for.

honeybun

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2015, 04:57:10 PM »

It's an endoscope Dyan. I've had it done with sedation and didn't remember a thing about it. Cup of tea and some toast and home.
I was diagnosed with nervous dyspepsia. That was years ago. I was also tested for H Pylori infection which they can treat with ABs. I was clear for that.

I would suggest Gaviscon Advance, it's much better than the regular stuff. Don't take it with a couple of hours of your Lansoprazole.
What strength are you taking of that. I'm on 15mg but if I'm having a bad day I double up.

Your test can also pick up a hiatus hernia.

Honeybun
X

Dyan

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2015, 05:48:54 PM »

That's it HB! H pylori infection!  :thankyou:
Couldn't quite understand the GPS accent :-*
Just bought the normal gaviscon but liquid this time. I usually have the tablets but not keen on them.
Took 2 spoonfuls when I got home and the heartburn is better. Still there,but better than it has been all day.

Sparkle- :thankyou:

Unhinged

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2015, 06:44:22 PM »

Hi Dyan,

I'm another hernia/GERD 'ster! Mine came on at around the same time as meno; reflux, gastritis, awful burning pains in stomach. 3 gastroscopies/endoscopies, H-Pylori tests, a 24hr PH test at Barts - that's where they feed a tube down to your stomach which tests the level of reflux over 24 hrs, downside is I had to travel there and back on the train with the tube taped to my face, I got some looks I can tell you! So the diagnosis is definitely GERD/GORD and I'm eligible for the operation. Tried all the over the counter meds, all far too weak, Lansaprazole didn't work on me, only thing that did was Omeprazole (the other PPI), but the side effects were grim - anxiety, blurred vision, generally feeling unwell.

The only relief is if I have a liquid only diet for a couple of weeks (no not beer & wine unfortunately, but vitamin shakes like Cambridge diet for example). If you've got any to spare, losing just a few pounds can make a difference.

So now I'm waiting for hernia repair and anti-reflux surgery (Nissen fundoplication), where they loop the stomach back on itself and stitch it to prevent any reflux coming up. BUT, since I have taken HRT my reflux has decreased a bit! I thought it would be the opposite but no. So, I am thinking of postponing the op.

It has taken me since October 2012 to get this far on the NHS so don't be frightened to really push for what you want - I've found you have to! Good luck and I do hope you get some relief soon.

honeybun

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2015, 07:11:21 PM »

You have to get the Gaviscon Advance from the pharmacist. It works so much better than the other stuff.

It's like swallowing a gold fish but taken at bed time it really helps. Sparkle recommended it and it's great. Try propping yourself up overnight. That can really help too.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2015, 09:01:52 PM »

I find that not eating nor taking medication within an hour of going to bed helps avoid heartburn at night time.  Some times it can feel background heartburn in the afternoon so try to walk a bit - sitting around doesn't help my gut  ::)

honeybun

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2015, 09:16:59 PM »

I'm not sure how to lie at the moment. I still have a sore back but my heartburn is troublesome....is something going on here, so many of us have it.
The only way I can get comfortable enough to sleep is to stick a pillow between my knees, along with another pillow to prop me up I may as well sit in a chair all night.
I wakened up in the night and my knee pillow had gone missing. Hubby had it on his head  ;D ;D

It's not the first time things have gone missing in bed recently. I took a hot water bottle with me a few weeks ago. I wakened up feeling so hot and unwell with sweat running down my face. Far more than a hot flush. The blooming hot water bottle was on my head.......how ? why ?  ::)

I'm looking forward to bed and my medicine before I go....god I know how to live.  ::)

Honeybun
X

Dyan

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2015, 09:20:51 PM »

Thankyou everyone for your advice & support.
I've just had this most horrible pain in my stomach which took my breath away.
I came over hot and I'm very bloated.
The pain only lasted a few seconds.

Was just going to post this when I saw you had got there first HB ;D
Just adding a  :hug: for you and hope you have a good night.
You're right there are a lot of us with this horrible heartburn at the moment. >:(
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8