Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Opticians or Not Yet?  (Read 1358 times)

Machair

Opticians or Not Yet?
« on: June 20, 2020, 02:04:11 PM »

I heard today my local Vision Express is open as are a lot of opticians now in England. I am due- well overdue for a contact lens aftercare appointment. How do you all feel about resuming normal life and attending things like appointments that are routine?
I had a pelvic scan last month that was important to get done so took the risk,  but routine things are less urgent and obviously carry risks from a Covid point of view. What are you all doing - booking up for things like opticians or waiting a few more weeks?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Opticians or Not Yet?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 02:13:52 PM »

Most opticians have been open for emergencies throughout.  I would wait a while, same with dental appts..   Probably until end of Oct..

littleminnie

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 02:33:52 PM »

Personally I would wait until the infections come down the the rush has gone.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 07:30:50 PM »

My husband is very cautious, he's 58 with high blood pressure and a bit over weight. He has an appointment with the opticians on Wednesday they rang him in the week as his appointment was cancelled due to lockdown. His eyes have deteriorated so badly recently that I'm getting anxious about him driving so reluctantly I think it's worth the risk. I'm suire they have to have robust systems in place

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 07:32:24 PM »

He would be seen as an emergency.   I believe that most are having a 1 in 1 out policy, do ring to ask?

Sparrow

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 07:35:00 PM »

Hi Machar,

I think if you wear contacts it's more important to keep regular appointments than if you wear glasses.  If you are worried I would call and have a chat first.

Joaniepat

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 08:07:41 PM »

I've had two routine chiropody appointments since lockdown started (the last one was yesterday). It felt quite safe as there would only be me and the chiropodist there, and it's not as though they need to be as close as a dentist or optician. I'd visit the optician, dentist or osteopath now though if they've opened. These maintenance type things are important and may help to keep people out of acute care, and I would trust the practitioner to take the appropriate precautions. What's more important is the journey, and whether you have to use public transport to get there. I've got to venture into central London at the end of the month  :(

JP x

Machair

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 07:59:01 AM »

I had an appointment in central London last month.It was eerie- so quiet but that was before the lockdown was lifted slightly and non essential shops were opening. My local station was deserted and I was alone in a train carriage. The only problem I had was the underground, as although slightly more busy the station I needed was closed so I had to walk from the earlier one. I have no sense of direction but it was fine and still very quiet.