Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Wicked pleasures...  (Read 12039 times)

Rebelyell

Wicked pleasures...
« on: June 23, 2015, 11:18:38 AM »

I don't know how many of you will relate to this, but it has absolutely made me feel better.

OH tends to be cautious on the clothes buying front - his words.  My words - he never buys anything new unless forced, and that happens only about once a year in a big burst.  He is careful with clothes - his words.  My words - he has a wardrobe full of old tat.   So - I managed to persuade him that he should buy new boxers at the weekend - it was Fathers' Day after all, and his birthday is looming.  He would only go to the shop where his last boxers came from and was very worried that they had changed the type of elastic [I explained that they tend to have at least two 'collections' every year.  Meaning his boxers are probably 8 collections ago..].  But I insisted on a purchase.   However, the old ones are being kept as they are 'comfy' and 'you never know'.   [Never know what, for God's sake??]

We don't have much washing now it is just the two of us, so I tend to wash twice a week.  That is four pairs of boxers in the wash today. 

Just put out the washing and I can now see it from my office window while working.  I can also see the green wheelie bin.   No prizes for guessing why I am smiling.   It has totally got rid of my anxiety and I thoroughly recommend this approach.

Does your OH have anything he tends to hang on to?  And how do you handle it?

dazned

Re: Wicked pleasures...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 11:25:56 AM »

I don't ,I give up ! ;D

I'm always saying you need a this that or other.........he always says no its fine . So be it.

Rebelyell

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 11:31:58 AM »

All old boxers are in the wheelie bin!  And it will be emptied tomorrow before he realises!!

;D

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 11:58:10 AM »

Wish mine would wear boxers, apart from to bed! He likes to feel "held in." I've explained he doesn't need to wear the baggy variety, there are nice bottom hugging ones! 😂 But no he's not having them.

My hubby has t-shirts which have seen better days & jumpers & trousers &......... I will occasionally throw everything onto the bed & help him to sift through it all. Last time we got rid of two black bin bags of stuff to charity shop.

Men look at clothes very differently to us ladies. They are functional & so long as they can still wear them, they do.

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 12:21:20 PM »

Good for you rebelyell - I've done similar with some stuff of my husbands that was past its best......  :)

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 12:40:53 PM »

Oh my hubby is the same. Zero interest in clothes,hates clothes shopping of any kind.
I buy most of his stuff.
I asked him if he wanted new jeans for holidays. No says he these are just fine....he had been gardening in them and they were awful. I just went to the shop and bought new ones and presented them to him ....he knows better than to argue  ;D

As my daughter says....if dad is co ordinated it's by pure accident and not by design  ::)

He will throw nothing away....I sneak things into the bin.

One thing that does drive me up the wall though...is when he does buy anything he then turns into Mr Picky and it has to be perfect. Shirts have to have a button down collar and a pocket. Jackets have to have the requisite number of inside pockets for wallet and phone.....really  ;D

Honeybun
X

Galadriel

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 01:06:00 PM »

:rofl:

Not just me then ladies.

My dear DH is just the same. He'd wear his undies till you could see daylight through them! Same with socks. And it's not as if he is short on either of these things.
I've been sneaking the worn out ones into a secret bag in the garage for years - every so often I empty it in the rag recycling bin.

Last month, I made him sort out his wardrobe and make two 'out' piles and one 'keep' pile - one for charity and one for rags.
I watched him as he kept adding tat to the 'keep' pile. We looked at the tat together, holes and fraying seams, and I persuaded him to reallocate the offending articles to one of the above 'out' piles.

Amazingly, we found brand new shirts still in their wrappings, while he's been wearing stuff fit for a tattie boggle!!! ::)

I think he found the whole experience quite traumatic but me... I was in my element. And just to show solidarity, I did the same to my wardrobe - although you will never find worn out undies in my drawers  ;)

Funnily enough HB - my kids can always tell when he's 'put himself together' and when I've chosen his outfit.

Thank goodness I'm in charge of packing suitcases for our holidays!!

Galadriel x

Dulciana

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 01:16:56 PM »

My hubby's much the same, Galadriel.  He comes to bed in a tee-shirt tucked in to his totally-non-matching shorts  :o.;  wears socks with holes in the heels (his philosophy being, what the eye doesn't see, the heart doesn't grieve over); has a very nice pair of tailored, flattering, not-so-short navy shorts that he almost never wears, in favour of a pair of very-shorts that make him look like a little boy (he's long-legged); and only buys shoes from M 'n S. 

My Dad, on the other hand, always makes sure his shirt and socks match, and that his jumper tones with whatever else he's wearing.  And he's 90!  He's got style.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 01:18:58 PM by Dulciana »

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 03:24:33 PM »

And,and  ;D

When he buys shoes he does the funny walk in the shop and that really cracks me up. I have to fight to keep a straight face.
When Michael McIntyre did the sketch of himself in a shoe shop I asked hubby if it rang any bells...nope  ;D

Honeybun
X

babyjane

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 06:25:54 PM »

Mine has things in his wardrobe that are 10 years old but still functional so they stay there. He just adds to them from time to time so his wardrobe is a bit cramped.  I would never dream of making him clear out his wardrobe but I do ask if he has anything when a charity bag arrives.  Neither would it occur to me to buy his underwear, if he needs it he gets it because he knows what he likes and he is a grown man not a child.

Mind you, sneaking the pants with holes in out of the washing sounds like a plan  :)

cubagirl mine wears the jersey boxers not the polycotton ones.  they hold everything in nicely and look quite sexy with a vest top  ::)

Joyce

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 09:21:50 PM »

I know babyjane, just try telling hubby that. Much sexier than briefs he insists on wearing. However, as he has stated he doesn't force me to wear uncomfortable, sexy thongs so why should I do likewise with him. I guess at our age, comfort becomes paramount!  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 04:23:10 PM »

I long ago stopped throwing DH's clothes, twice a year we open a sack and decide if anything needs to go for the rag man …… and recently he treated himself to a compete set of new socks.  Nothing goes into the dustbin as Charity shops sell rags for funds.