Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Sage doesn't work any more  (Read 34332 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Sage doesn't work any more
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2015, 08:09:10 AM »

>wave< Morning Zodiac!

As I dropped off to sleep at 11.40 I had 2 thoughts: 1, do you stick to the same manufacturer of sage? 2, do you take it at the same time? and 3, how is your diet over-all?  Sometimes flushing/sweats can be caused when the body is hungry!

I haven't watched This Morning for years but always valued Dr Chris' opinions and when Jan de Vriess was on The Jimmy Young Show he always gave good advice without being pushy.

Quality of Life is what is important to me and if I find a product which works, then I go for it.  Sorry you don't feel that I am listening to you ………. whether that equates with not being understanding, because the written word is static, is a different issue. 

I took The Pill for 11 years then opted for sterilisation as the chemical was causing depressive episodes.  Up until then the drug had done it's job for me  ;)

mandy43

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2015, 08:31:22 PM »

I'm just happy that ladies take the time out to reply to my posts, whether they push the wonders of hrt or not.  And I am very thankful for all input I am given :)

libby1

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2015, 07:55:00 AM »

I think that there maybe more of us not taking hrt than we think but because we don't post so much because we can't advise on hrt we're less visible?  :-\
Just a thought  ;)
Libby
x

honeybun

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2015, 09:55:03 AM »

That is precisely the reason I requested a dedicated alternatives thread where woman who chose not to or could not take HRT for whatever reason could come and post about their individual experiences and be comfortable doing so without being told that alternatives don't work. Not exactly helpful for someone who is struggling.

Unfortunately despite having a lot of support our request was.....well not denied but quietly ignored with no reasons being given

It's a real shame to be honest because the forum looses members over this and there are a lot of women who need support who are not getting it.

Honeybun
X
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 09:56:48 AM by honeybun »

libby1

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2015, 10:51:40 AM »

Hi Hb

I think that a lot of our members have strong views on hrt because it's been such a life saver for them, which is great. But we're all different and it's good to get different views. I choose not to take hrt because I'm coping at the moment but I wouldn't rule it out if my symptoms became a lot worse.

I don't feel intimidated on here, I read all the fantastic advice and I'm grateful for the support but I can see that sometimes opinions get a bit full on and it would be good to have a thread for us lot not on hrt  :)

Libby
x

Greenfields

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2015, 07:23:12 PM »

Zodiac - just thought, this is not herbal but have you tried acupuncture?  Prior to my menopausal symptoms becoming impossible, I managed for a long time very successfully with acupuncture - it really really helped.  That and exercise and massage.  So if you haven't tried it, it would be worth a try. I've had a variety of different acupuncturists over the years - I've liked the one's who have studied at Reading the best (ie graduated from there).  If you decide to try, make sure you pick someone who is properly licensed etc.

Hurdity

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2015, 08:00:33 PM »

I'm just happy that ladies take the time out to reply to my posts, whether they push the wonders of hrt or not.  And I am very thankful for all input I am given :)

What a lovely thing to say mandy! I know that most women who post on here are gving freely of their time to try to help and certainly not "shoving" things at anyone!

zodiac - sorry to hear you are not feeling too good. As the others have said the reason the remedies are not working is because your body is probably changing anyway. The reason you can't find anything about these other remedies is because there isn't enough information on them nor evidence (yet) that they are safe and effective treatments for menopause. As you have found some remedies are not advised in the long term like Black cohosh etc.

Have you seen the information on this website about alternatives treaments to HRT? There is also a leaflet produced by the Royal College of Obstetricians summarising what is known about different treatements - it is due to be updated soon I see!
https://www.rcog.org.uk/globalassets/documents/patients/patient-information-leaflets/gynaecology/pi-alternatives-to-hormone-replacement-therapy-for-symptoms-of-the-menopause.pdf

Regarding not taking HRT - ie whether you are medically able or not to do so - here is the information on this site about the situations where women are normally not advised to take it : http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/contraindications.php

Contraindications for HRT.

Pregnancy
    Undiagnosed abnormal vaginal bleeding
    Active or recent blood clot or myocardial infarction (heart attack)
    Suspected or active breast or endometrial (womb) cancer
    Active liver disease with abnormal liver function tests
    Porphyria cutanea tarda

I don't know your particular circumstances in detail but you may find that nowadays the advice has changed and there shoukld be no risk in your case especially as you are still younger than the average age of menopause when the risk statistics start to come into play.

By the way most HRT if you choose carefully is as "natural" as you can get ie the hormones are the same as the ones produced in our bodies and they are made from plants - and safer in the long term than Black Cohosh!!

As I said earlier - all the women on here have given advice and suggestions based on their knowledge and/or experience - and are trying to help you!

Sorting out the reasonable from the dubious is difficult and there are many many "remedies" out there which tell you they are "good" for menopause. Many of them are food supplements which may or may not beenfit your general health or provide some nutrient which is lacking - which will make you feel better in yourslef but not actually work to reduce menopausal symptoms. The only real way to know whether to try something or not is to listen to the suggestions and then read a summary of the scientific evidence - from trials - which give an objective result. Otherwise you may well be wasting your money!

I am sure you are also looking into all the lifestyle and diet aspects (good fresh diet, more exercise, keeping to a healthy weight, taking more exercise, reducing alcohol, stopping smoking) which can only be of benefit at this stage in your life and will help you cope better with symptoms - lots of info here: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/diet.php

Do hope you manage to find something to make you feel better  :)

Hurdity x

mandy43

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2015, 09:46:55 AM »

thanks Hurdity! The ladies, like yourself, who have commented on my posts have helped me through some dark hours and given me the confidence to get through gyno appts.  We really mustn't lose sight when we are posting that everyone who comes forward to offer advice is doing so to help us. 

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2015, 11:12:16 AM »

I agree - but it seems that Zodiac isn't part-taking any more …….  :-\ ……….

mandy43

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2015, 03:36:43 PM »

that's a shame, but I suppose forums aren't for everyone :-\

peegeetip

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2015, 04:28:23 PM »

"I dont know if i will continue yet posting on here as theres not that many understanding members lol"

If this is how zodiac feels then that's a real real shame for all of us. 
Its also a bit of a slap in the face for people who post with care and support in mind.
Perhaps some are reading more into some posts than they should.
Just because people don't want to go down the herbal route or see it for what they think it is then that's their view too. None of the posts expressed on the forum are harsh or uncaring.
To state otherwise is somewhat extreme in itself.
I don't see what the fuss is about tbh.

No one is forcing her to do anything on this post either.
To have people imply this also is a bit low.

I see what she say's regarding her mum but I've no idea how she could even contemplate an exact same result for her? If she's willing to take that from 5 Doc's without trial or proof then that is her choice and one we must understand for now.

I hope she finds something soon to help her  :-\

honeybun

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2015, 04:36:28 PM »

The women only asked about sage.  :o

That was it and she was given advice on HRT.

It's not the first member we have lost and I suspect it won't be the last.

I don't think she even suggested anyone was forcing her she just wanted an answer to one particular question .

Of course we all try to answer sensitively but obviously not sensitive enough for some very new members.

If of course we had a dedicated thread.....but I'm repeating myself yet again.

This member was not asking about HRT.

Honeybun
X

peegeetip

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2015, 05:05:50 PM »

I agree there should be another folder/forum section for Vits/Mins/Herbal and other potions.

The trouble is if we look at these in isolation then there is a skewed view on what people can hope and expect to get from these other options.

In the case of zodiac the painful breasts is a classic sign that her own hormones are still up and down. Whether she uses a Herb or not.

The main issue was the comment on the black cohosh somehow magically containing estrogen too.

Either way there is a lot of hokum out there in relation to this topic and people need to take care.

???

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2015, 05:38:17 PM »

Also even if herbs help ease initial symptoms, once hormones take over  >:( : and on going to the GP some ladies are told that HRT isn't adviseable/allowed if family members have suffered certain cancers even though recent Reports are more positive: it is important that ladies are made aware that this doesn't necessarily mean that HRT is a no-no.  They may not have browsed all the Forum if they want a specific answer. 

Hopefully Zodiac is 'watching' ……..  :-\

honeybun

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2015, 08:32:02 PM »

Watching and probably thinking ......ooo err what have I started.

It's a very emotive subject because some have an open mind and others most obviously don't.

Honeybun
X
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5