Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Sage doesn't work any more  (Read 34330 times)

zodiac

Sage doesn't work any more
« on: June 17, 2015, 09:45:17 PM »

Hi
I have been  taking sage for probably over a year now, and over the past month it seems to have stopped working as my hot sweats have come back , also i get the hot flush, which is horrible as my face goes really red n feels very hot, and i can feel sickly when it happens, luckly the flush doesnt happen to offten but the sweats are through the day n nite,
I was taking black cohosh but had a reaction to it were my boobs were very sore from Armpit rite down to my boob on both side, doctor said it was my glands swolen up as the black cohosh had to much eastrogen in for me, and my doctor said to come off it,and it took a few months for the soreness to go,  so ive been trailing the web to find anything about sage not working anymore, but no luck lol, so was wondering if anyone else has had this happen and what they did, also whilst trailing the web about sage found some saying that its not that good to take long term like i have as it can cause seziures n liver probs and that was a nhs site, also saw that folic acid was good at stopping hot sweats  if any one knows anything i would appreciate hearing about it
Thanx Zodiac 😀

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Sage doesn't work any more
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 09:56:16 AM »

I would suspect that your hormones are over-riding any benefits you felt from the sage.

Greenfields

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 01:49:09 PM »

If you're drawn to herbal remedies, have you thought about consulting a professional herbalist?  They might be able to give you some advice and would be knowledgable about herbal prescriptions.

Here's a link to finding practitioners: http://www.nimh.org.uk/

peegeetip

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 02:33:23 PM »

"black cohosh had too much eastrogen"
Just where is your doc getting this?!

I really must admit this comment takes the biscuit, no medals here :)

The sage working for a while is likely just to have coincided with a lighter time in your roller coast peri/meno experience.
Your now past that and probably need to top up on the hormones now to head off the heat/sweat/flush symptoms.

A lot of pain that woman experience around peri/meno is due to the changes going on in your breasts due to sudden loss of estrogen hormones. The breast will go through changes if we don't use HRT.

http://www.healthline.com/health/aging-changes-in-the-breast#Overview1

So the pains in your breast could also just be your fluctuating hormones themselves.
Since taking HRT, my own breast pains have receded and feeling much better now.

As others have said, if the herbal route actually worked then they'd be prescribing it.

Hope you feel better soon.

:-*
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 04:39:52 PM by peegeetip »

zodiac

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 05:32:26 PM »

Hi
I have bern suffering for 8 yrs and the breast soreness has never happened only the usual fullness when i was due on, but this only happened when i took the cohosh, i have seen a meno doc and i can not under any circumstances can i use hrt, i cant use antidepressants either as i have the side affects they cause as ive tryed them,
I do go to a herbal practitioner n ended up buying loads of stuff that only wrked for a while, lol , but  think my body is gona do somert soon as people are naffin me off very quickly
But i know im over the worst as im not suffering from depression , like i did at first, i can now eat cheeze n oranges n dark chocolate n drink coffee not that i drink much tea or coffee only the one brew to wake up with , n life is good, 😀 and after looking at the link i was sent anout aging breasts i can honestly say mine still sit were they were yrs ago , no streatch marks no saggin , or nipples pointint in different directions no crinkly skin saggy skin, i have none of the stuff it says on the site i was sent a link to  im very lucky to still have the figure etc i had yrs ago n never got streatch marks after 3 kids soo im one of the lucky ones but im a younge 48 yr old nana, n mum, very active n think the pec deck n chest press machines at the gym help keep my chest on my chest hahaha :))
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 05:44:50 PM by zodiac »

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 07:11:49 PM »

If a herbal 'practitioner' suggests that you buy the products then maybe it's not the route to go ?  How about H&B for advice? I know they sell stuff but there isn't the pressure.

At your age you probably need HRT of some kind to protect heart and bones  ;)

zodiac

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 04:18:29 AM »

I am not allowed HRT, and i am not prepared to take the risk, i am very fit n healthy n very active, but i have a high risk of that all changing on HRT, and i cant put somert in my body that has the potential to ruin my health n life so sorry to everyone but HRT is not an option
Its ok for you all that can take it but NO i aint goin that rout  n im not forced to buy the stuff from the health food shop either lol
Sorry but hrt is not a option 😀

libby1

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 07:32:08 AM »

Hi Zodiac

I've also used sage for over a year and it's worked really well but the past week I've been suffering at night. Not sure if it's the warm weather or the sage not working  :-\  I've not yet had problems during the day, only at night but I've probably got that to look forward to  :o

And I too have chosen not to take hrt  ;)

Libby
x

annettanagle

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 08:42:55 AM »

Hi, I was recommended Sage and Dandelion by a friend of a friend who said it worked for them in getting rid of hot flushes. I have been on a tincture of both now for two weeks and they have started to go (They say it can take up to six weeks). I was having them all day and night but have only had one in the last few days. Have you tried Dandelion? The health shop said a tincture was the best so I have 15-20 drops of each 3 times a day. I also don't want to and can't go down the HRT route as I have had breast cancer. I hope this keeps working, and I hope you find something that helps. The tinctures are expensive so I may start digging up the dandelions in the garden and use them.  :)

Annetta xx

zodiac

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 03:49:17 PM »

Hi Libby and Anneta,
At last someone who understands and whos useing the herbal route, yeh its prob the weather but its gone like winter here in morecambe lol sooo cold, lol but its good that someone understands and has read my messages and isnt all HRT this n HRT that lol as was feeling like noone understood or read my messages, but yeh prob is the weather only its gone like winter here incostadel morecambe lol
But thanx feel like someone actually listened n understood lol will look into the dandilion
:)))

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 04:00:07 PM »

Sorry you felt like that zodiac. It's unfair when you ask questions re alternatives you get HRT shoved at you by less than understanding members.

Please don't let that put you off posting because we are not all the same.

Although I do take HRT I have an interest in alternative medicine and am really interested to read what others are trying to alleviate meno symptoms.

I hope you continue to contribute to the forum as we need to listen to all points of view.

Honeybun
X

mandy43

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 06:00:42 PM »

My gyno told me the other day that sore boobs is from high progesterone levels and not estrogen.  So that doesn't really fit with what you were told.  I have this problem and was concerned I have too much estrogen and he said no, it;s the opposite?

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 09:34:20 PM »

Why are you unable to take HRT?  Sometimes alternatives can be un-reliable as they don't give a 'measured' dose as medication approved by NICE would do.

Zodiac said: "sage found some saying that its not that good to take long term like i have as it can cause seziures n liver probs and that was a nhs site ……. "

However: she also said:  "i cant put somert in my body that has the potential to ruin my health n life ……… "  :-\

It is probably your own hormones having a surge = over-riding the benefits you have had from taking sage.  Are you taking the optimum amount?

zodiac

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 10:18:34 PM »

Hi hunnybun,
I  dont know if i will continue yet posting on here as theres not that many understanding members lol, i feel like noone is reading wot i have said, as i cant n wont take hrt, its because of family medical history that i cant take hrt also my mum took it was only one tablet like but it sent her blood preasure skyhigh n if my dad hadnt got the doctor she could have had a heart attack, i know theres gona b members who will say that it minght not hapoen to me but 5 doctors have said no way am i allowed anything hormonal i had to stop the pill when i got to 30, coz it didnt agree with me even the mini pill didnt so got steralised,
I only came on here to find out if anyone else had gone herbal and  if sage had stopped wrking for them but just had a few saying hrt this n hrt that, n i dont ferl like ive been listened to if i could take hrt i would be lol, n like i also said im over the worst the depression has gone, sex drive is on its way back, anxiety aint as bad n i can eat cheeze n oranges they dont trigger my migrains anymore :)) n its goiod goin mths without a period lol,
Im thinking of goin on redclover and see how that goes again
Also been looking at the Neutrition FX that dr chris steal of this morning program endorses, the reviews are good thats a mung bean n like i said reviews are good dont know how to get a link to it but just google FX menapause :)) anyway off to sleep nite x

thorntrees

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2015, 07:50:49 AM »

Hi Zodiac.
I do sympathise with your point of view re HRT. I too can't have it for various reasons and have felt that  those for whom it is a solution tend to think it is the only way forward. All our experiences are different both peri and post menopause and MM should be a forum where all approaches to helping at this difficult time can be discussed equally. I haven't tried sage personally but have used Kalms in the past for anxiety, given up caffeine in the evenings and found tisserands lavender very calming also. I wouldn't dream of suggesting that any of these will work for anyone else but hearing about things others have tried can be useful.
One of the most important aspects of the forum is knowing that others are going through the same experiences, it can be comforting on the bad days to know you are not alone and sometimes easier to discuss problems and possible solutions in a semi-anonymous way if you see what I mean.
Do hope you feel you can continue being a part of the forum, we all need support on this journey.

Thorntrees
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5