Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Neck and shoulder pain anyone?  (Read 43816 times)

Irishangel

Neck and shoulder pain anyone?
« on: May 19, 2015, 07:50:44 PM »

Hi, I am peri menopausal and recently went 4 months without a period, then 2 weeks ago had one.  That wasm't too bad, but since it finished I been getting aches and pains.  On friday I have had neck and shoulder pain, (almost like having scatica pain but in neck and shoulder)  It got bad last night so have started taken ibuprofen and alternating with paracetamol but not really doing anything.  Was just wondering if any others have suffered with this? Read somewhere low estogen can cause muscle pains.
Just wish it would go and I can get some sleep!

Joyce

Re: Neck and shoulder pain anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 08:51:02 PM »

Had this off & on for ages. Think it's more wear & tear TBH. I now swim & have massages from time to time. Helps me.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 09:13:58 PM »

Yep.  As oestrogen levels drop the muscles can become lax = various aches and pains.

Might be time to check your sleeping position though?

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 09:58:15 PM »

I've bought so many pillows. Support ones, ones for side sleepers, you name it. Now got a shelf full of unused pillows. Makes no difference.

Annie0710

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 10:13:22 PM »

I've got it, and it's making me cry at times, I've been in so much pain especially since last Thursday.  I looked up disc problems near neck and shoulder blade level and it seems the closest diagnosis (suffer with disc trouble lower back already) I'm hoping to make an appt Thursday with GP as ibroprufen and paracetamol aren't touching it. Feel like I've had an injection in my my tricep and its sending heavy tingly feeling all down the arm and making my neck sore

Oh and I have high oestrogen levels

If it's not one painful ailment, it's another

Annie xx

DebsMK

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 08:51:07 AM »

I have had this on and off for about a year.  I was in so much pain it ruined my holiday last year because I'd felt fine so started dragging cases around.  After reading up on it I decided to try HRT to see if it helped with this and other symptoms.  I am now 9 months into HRT and together with self enforced rest, i.e. no hoovering or lifting heavy items, it seems to have subsided at the moment.  I have been about 6 weeks without pain which is very unusual, so fingers crossed it's either gone or I've learned to subconsciously not do things that will upset it.  When it did flare up no pills would shift the pain, the only thing that helped for me was ice packs and heat packs alternately and rest.  x

rebelyell

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 09:12:07 AM »

A couple of years ago I had sudden bout of frozen shoulder - it was incredibly painful and debilitating.  Doctor said to rest it, after three days of pain I went to a physiotherapist who gave me an exercise band and exercises.   Doctor had told me that it could last 3-6 months and surgery might be an option.   Physio cured it in two weeks!   I have had pain on and off in neck shoulder since then so started yoga and pilates.  I also notice that my shoulders creep up with tension during the day and am very conscious of pulling them back down.

At the time I didn't associate the problem with meno, but now realise it was the start of my body falling apart!  But on the very bright side - physio would always be my first port of call for any issues like this.  Might be worth a try.

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 10:07:35 AM »

Hello Irishangel.

A friend of mine had this a few years ago and also a frozen shoulder. She had physio on the NHS but her GP said this probably wouldn't be sufficient so she paid for some extra sessions privately and she is now fully recovered. She has never been on HRT but she says that she is often aware of tension in her neck and shoulders and tries to relax those muscles when she can.

Hope this is of help to you.

Take care.

K.

dahliagirl

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 11:18:36 AM »

Joint aches have been my biggest problem (apart from the urogenital stuff  >:( ) since I came off the pill.  It is hands and feet, wrists ankles knees and hips.  But the neck bit is bad and made it difficult to relax.  I used to wake up in the night in pain.

I have tried hrt, which helped but then progestogen part made it much worse than ever.  Changed type and it gradually subsided.

Meanwhile, I had to start vitamin D and that certainly helped too.  I keep taking it as if I stop for a couple of weeks, it comes back again.

Keeping hydrated helps.

I still have problems with my neck if I have to use the computer for a while.  I have tried exercises and improving posture, and keep doing that.  I think the varifocals contribute but I am due some new ones soon and will try and get them adjusted better.

I get cold if I sit for long and that makes me hunch up, so I tried wearing a scarf on the computer.  Then I tried my wheat bag round my neck.  That certainly does help  :)  I spent a day wearing it and microwaving it.  I took it to bed and lay it along the bottom edge of my pillow, and lay on my back doing relaxation exercises.  I am using it as a preventive measure now.

I also get a lot of muscle tension in my jaw.  It seems to be a thing with lower oestrogen.  The heat helps me do the relaxation exercises - otherwise, I relax and it justs pings back.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 11:35:02 AM »

HORMONES  >:(

Frozen shoulder is common in ladies of 'our'  age.  Without treatment it can take 2 years to heal, that is without any movement - but of course we breath, eat, yawn, sneeze all of which affect the neck etc..  Both Mums had exercises to do regularly. 

Annie0710

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 11:51:59 AM »

I've just got the number for a local chiropractor , will call this afternoon, taking 3x ibroprufen every 3 hours but was crying in pain this morning before work

Annie xx

Irishangel

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 02:04:10 PM »

Thank you so much for all your replies ladies.  I am amazed how common it seems to be! I work in pharmacy so sent my other half to get a box of epsom salts and co codamol. Had a soak in the bath with salts and lavender and amazed how I couldn't feel any pain whilst I was in the water.  However, as soon as I got out and started moving around its come back.  I haven't taken any pain relief today other than ice pack, which also seems to help.  Seems to be mainly side of neck and deep into my shoulder now. If I rest my arm on a pillow it relieves it a wee bit.  Hope you get sorted too Annie, I know what you mean that it reduces you to tears.

Take care everyone and thanks again xx

Annie0710

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 02:45:21 PM »

The only bit of non meds relief I get is if I tuck my arm into my body and kind of lean on it on the side on the sofa (propped up with cushions) but of course I can't take all that with me everywhere

Annie xx

Irishangel

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 07:15:01 PM »

Annie, thats exactly what I am doing too! And Sparkle, yes my shoulder clicks too!  my neck clicks too (above the bone bit at base of neck) I know its not nice that we are all suffering like this, but it is good to know we are all here to support and encourage each other. Thank you    :) xx

Annie0710

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 07:35:59 PM »

Not to be left out.... Mine clicks too !

I can have a chuckle at the minute because although it hurts, it's not excruciating, and then suddenly it will be and that's when a tear drops :-(

Chiropractor didn't call me back so I'll try docs in the morning

Also, my muscle at the back near armpit keeps twinging quite strongly and rapidly !

Hope you all have a pain free evening

Annie xx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4