Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: itching and dryness  (Read 3750 times)

robotwars

itching and dryness
« on: May 04, 2015, 07:57:58 PM »

Hi! I just wondered if I could ask a quick question as im not sure what to do and just needed some advice. I have been suffering with itching down below and I have had a few water infections over the last few months but it is the itching that is driving me mad, the only other symptom I have been having just lately is sometimes my moods are awful and I can feel very down. I went to the doctor who prescribed HRT (cycloprognova.....) but im not sure if that is what I need as I'm not having any flushes etc. I'm just wondering whether there is any other option that will just deal with these symptoms.
I have had tests for thrush etc and they are all coming back clear..... I have also had a water test which was also clear. Will the HRT help with these symptoms?

Dancinggirl

Re: itching and dryness
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 09:23:59 PM »

You are experiencing typical Vaginal Atrophy symptoms. I am on systemic and local oestrogen for these types of symptoms and feeling much better. I also use vaginal moisturisers like Multi Gyn Actigel that help to keep things lubricated and healthy.  DG x

MrsMopp

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 10:30:05 PM »

I've been getting the same.  Cystitis - repeated attacks,  BV and now itching.  I am on Vagifem, Ovestin and EvorelConti.  I also use dermovate as a moisturiser in that area and never use soap down there, only Aqueous cream.

All these recurrent problems in the same area are dragging me down too so I can empathise.

I'm wondering now if I am washing too much.  In order to prevent the cystitis and BV I've been rinsing after every bowel movement.  I've had lots of bowel movements per day because I am drinking lots of water to avoid recurrence of the cystitis.  Now I have itching.  Grrrrreat  >:(

I've also noticed that the cystitis often follows on a few days after intercourse.  It's a vicious circle.   

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 08:44:39 AM »

Mrs Mopp - you are quite right about it being 'a viscous circle'. Once these things start it's very difficult to get it settled. I use those unscented moist toilet wipes after opening my bowels to try and keep really clean -  like you I go quite often and worry this will spread infection. Just one more thought for you though - do make sure you really empty your bladder every time - I realised that I was actually retaining some urine, possibly because I was so sore I couldn't pee properly and this can make things worse. I do use Multi Gyn Actigel which keeps things more acidic in and around the vaginal area and can help reduce BV and thrush taking hold - I also find it stops the itching. 
The burning and itching is truly miserable.   DG x

dahliagirl

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 09:17:46 AM »

I started off with just vagifem, which did not help with the up and downess of the symptoms as I kept having 'accidents', although it stopped my problem with BV and thrush and I could sit down again!

I tried oral hrt for another reason, and stopped the vagifem as the doctor did not give me a new prescription for it. It helped with the bladder, but I started getting wet discharge and uncomfortable sitting again, so saw another doctor who reinstated the vagifem.  Then I kept getting thrush  >:(  so tried the actigel, and stopped trying to only use 2 vagifem a week.

Now I have femodene 1/10, take 3 vagifem a week and use a bit of actigel every other day (used to be twice a day).  It is nice and stable at the moment.

I don't use any wipes or anything, but find that controlling my constipation helps with other symptoms that seem unrelated.  I have, however used my husband's dermol to wash outside bits if I have any external thrush symptoms.  It is an antibacterial moisturiser/soap substitute for people with skin problems and I discovered it when I had to wash off the thrush cream that seemed to be causing more problems than it was solving.  I don't need it now.

MrsMopp

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 11:36:10 AM »

Hi again

Dancing girl it did occur to me that I could be retaining urine, but not until 2 days ago.  I have to  lean forward after I THINK I have finished; this results in more urine coming out.  I have also switched to the unscented wipes now and keep some in my bag for when I am away from home.

Dahlia girl I have also had thrush in this cycle but not for several weeks now.  At the moment it's itching, soreness and recurrent cystitis.  Do you use the Vagifem on 3 different nights or use 2 together then just one throughout the week? 

I will search for Actigel.  At the moment I have doing a week of the Bio Activ which I believe is made by the same company as Actigel. 

dahliagirl

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 11:41:18 AM »

I use one every three days, which is 2 some weeks and 3 in others.  If things are iffy, I go 2 days.  Periods used to mess things up.