Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Osteoporosis  (Read 3006 times)

Stellajane

Osteoporosis
« on: September 26, 2016, 02:31:44 PM »

Grrr very disappointed with GH magazine (November) and their article "How to prevent the Most Visible Sign of Ageing".

Despite clearly explaining that "Oestrogen plays a key role in keeping bones strong", there is not one mention of HRT in the entire three page article except to say that if you had an early menopause and weren't given it you are at higher risk.

If like me, your mother, aunt, grandmother etc had osteoporosis you may be interested to hear that "up to 80% of bone health is genetically determined".   Surely after that particular statement there was a case for suggesting women in an at risk group like myself should consider taking it??

Heck, some days I feel we're making no progress whatsoever.

Katejo

Re: Osteoporosis
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 02:26:05 AM »

Yes I remember you saying.  I think time may be of the essence - ie getting onto HRT early when menopause is just starting. Did you say you've got it in the family?

It appears to be working for me. I started while I was still having periods and 8 years on have no signs of it which is pretty amazing if you knew my family history!
But perhaps you wouldn't have got it anyway? I haven't taken any HRT but have had bone scans due to increased risk caused  by my medication. No sign of osteoporosis  yet.

Rozh

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 08:18:53 AM »

I'm new to hrt I am 47 had hysterectomy 4 years ago ovaries still in tact went to drs last week as been suffering 3 months with lower back pain that's painful in morning but eases as the day goes on I also get wrist pain occasionally I've been anxious and bit weepy also dry vagina itchy nose dr gave me 1mg of elleste can anyone please advise me on anything I can take to take pain away I've tried all painkillers none help  :(

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 12:23:40 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM  Rozh
Do start you own thread in newcomers - then more ladies will respond and help.
You are young and 1mg may not be enough to really do it's magic but its good to start low.
As an ex dancer, with dreadful joint damage, I can relate to your dilemma over this pain.  For me walking is the best thing for this pain - you just have to keep moving.  The oestrogen you have been given will help and you should get a  DEXA scan done to see what's going on with your bone density.
Omega 3 and Vitamin D will also ease joint pain.  Get out for brisk walks when you can and try some yoga and/or Pilates to keep the joints moving and muscles toned to support the joints. Keeping the weight down is also vital, so if you are carrying extra weight do try to tackle this.
I find Voltarol cream good for back ache - gives pain relief straight to where it is needed.
The dryness in the vagina needs local oestrogen - it's good to have this alongside the oral oestrogen - so ask GP for some Vagifem and buy some Sylk vaginal moisturiser to ease discomfort. DG x

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 03:16:35 PM »

I agree with the genetic link as mentioned.  Unfortunately my husband, both his brothers and our eldest son have osteoporosis.  My husband was diagnosed at 47, his brothers at 54 and 52 and our son at 34.  My mother in law had one of the worst cases of osteoporosis her consultant had ever seen confirming the genetic link.

Sadly I don't think any of the men would be allowed to take HRT  ::)

Husband and brother doing well on biphosphonates and son being monitored but not on meds yet.  All had extensive blood tests at diagnosis and no hormone or other deficiencies.

Rozh

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 05:10:22 PM »

Thanks for the reply I will start my own thread  :)