Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ok! Enough! These extra few pounds have to go!  (Read 6270 times)

Blakeygray

Re: Ok! Enough! These extra few pounds have to go!
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2016, 08:58:54 AM »

Correct and well done  to you Ju Ju.

Ju Ju

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2016, 10:43:16 AM »

My motivation was the threat of diabetes. Strong family history and I was warned that being cause there was little difference in measurement between my waist and narrow hips, I was in as great a danger as if I was obese. Difficult when friends thought I didn't need to lose any weight.

ellie

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2016, 03:34:42 PM »

My motivation was the same as yours JU JU,  doctor told me I was pre diabetec, that was enough to scare me into loosing weight   ::)

dangermouse

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2016, 07:17:03 PM »

Is it this one?
http://www.skinnybitch.net/the-3-day-military-diet/
Day 1 and 2 sound okay, but day 3 would break me. Seems odd to have so much ice cream!

I'm not sure why but that really made me laugh.  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2016, 07:23:51 PM »

My Mother in Law weighed everything.  Each evening she would decide what she wanted to eat and weighed the appropriate amounts of butter, sugar etc. according to Weight Watchers.  The saucers went into the fridge and once they were empty, that was it for the day.  It meant that she could see what she was actually eating.  It worked *and* she kept the weight off.

Blakeygray

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2016, 07:47:34 AM »

Ok so after day 2; 12st 3.

I didn't do day 3  the  work's team lunch put paid to that,  so I'm doing it today.

The sugar and all things sweet cravings are going,  I'm down from 2 sugars in my tea to 1.

nearly50

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2016, 09:57:50 AM »

The sugar cravings do go quite quickly, don't they? I've not eaten any rubbish all month and really don't want to now. Social situations are awkward though - I've found that some people get strangely offended if you refuse cake.

Hurdity

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2016, 11:45:59 AM »

Keep it up Blakeygray. I did think the idea of these diets was to do the 3 days at once so maybe having had a day off the weight loss might not be as much as you hope - but it's still there all the same ie some weight loss :)

Also to add to what has already been said. Yes it is about reducing sugars, but also unnecessary carbs as these are all metabolised into sugars!!! It is important to clarify and distinguish between low carb diets which is used as a blanket term to cover various types of diet. The true "low-carbers" are extreme - the eschew any form of carb whatsoever or drastically limit them - even those found in normal fresh foods like carrots! Instead they eat lashings of fat including fatty bacon, mayonnaise and cream - ugh all that fat - that would really upset my digestion!

What I mean by low carb is firstly eliminating all added sugars (most of the time) and concentrated sugars ie fruit is OK but only a small amount of juice or smoothies. In addition eliminating or drastically reducing most of the time all foods which are mainly carbs - ie bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, pastry, cereal etc but obtaining carbs naturally from foods such as vegetables ( other than spuds) and beans etc. Also drastically reducing fat - so, eating lean meat and fish, not using butter, keeping fried foods to a minimum but using some olive oil, and not avoiding oily fish avocados and coconut like some low fat diets. In others words if you just eat what you need from fresh unprocessed foods ( except for spuds) you can't go wrong. It does go without saying you need to limit alcohol.

I have done so many diets throughout my life and this latest is perfect for menopause as it controls blood sugar as well as helping weight loss. I  have to be on this permanently now in order to keep my weight low and I only have to take my eye off for a couple of days - have a few drinks - and the weight goes back on. However I'm not boring about it - I do have the occasional bit of cake and will defo eat choccies over Christmas and I like my G&T and a glass of wine!

Somewhere on the thread (can't see it now) someone said it's a question of input and output but actually although this is counter-intuitive - it is not! This is why weight-watchers is based on a points system and not total calories. They have even said something about this on their website ( well they did a couple of years ago or so). Different food types are metabolised differently so some foods you can actually eat to a higher calorific value than others if you see what I mean. I have never counted calories with any weight loss regime I have ever been on (I've never joined any slimming programme though) - and as long as you understand the principles and know when to stop eating ( when you've had enough!) you should not need to go hungry.

Hurdity x

Charlotte ...

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2016, 05:44:44 PM »

I'm the same as you Hurdity, I have to stick to my regime all year round to keep my weight down, I just can't take my eye off the ball at all. Still, I'm happier and weigh less now that I did in my teens, 20s and early 30s.

abbyH

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2016, 08:08:36 PM »

Just adding to this discussion. I've lost 6 lbs in a month following the 5.2 diet (intermittent fasting) and eating a quality high protein/balanced good carbs diet... I've even been able to have wine (11% prosecco mainly)

My energy levels are increasing and I do feel as if I'm turning a corner....

hoping to get to my goal weigh of 57kg (down from 61 presently) safely and easily by January...

Blakeygray

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2016, 08:09:06 PM »

As always Hurdity yours is a  concise informative reply. 

Yes this will have to be a permanent change. Thankfully most carbs bloat me to buggery so I only eat wholewheat pasta,  rice and bread but there's room for improvement in other areas.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2016, 10:07:33 PM »

:-\ not white bread though ?  :-\

I had a worrying evening  :sigh: - I decided that I have put on weight because I could feel that my belt wasn't comfy, felt too tight …… however, having been to a facility in total darkness I had in fact tightened the belt to 3 notches instead of the usual 2  ::) >phew< travelling over an hour always makes me feel uncomfy around the waist so I was pondering on how to shed 'weight' - I will however, step on the scales this weekend, in case ……...

Dyan

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2016, 04:02:30 PM »

I tried the 3 day diet and by midday on the 2nd day I felt awful.Really bad headache, weakness,just awful. Didn't continue with it.
Perhaps I shouldn't have started it as I have an underactive thyroid. Learnt my lesson now :sigh: won't do it again.
Pages: 1 [2]