Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: tmj  (Read 3561 times)

gina123

tmj
« on: April 11, 2015, 07:46:16 PM »

anyone got tmj problems/

gina123

Re: tmj
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 10:40:09 PM »

its been bad  of late..sore,tongue feels tingly and ear feels sore

milly

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 12:41:57 PM »

Yes I had this 2 years ago and my dentist referred me to GP who referred me to a dental consultant, seemed a strange way around, but I had a CT scan and it showed a wilkes stage 3.. their terminology.

I had 3 mths of physio, and she said it was originating from my neck muscles. I went from only being able to eat  slop, to normality and still ok now.

gina123

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 06:15:23 PM »

did your tongue feel funny milly?

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 06:22:52 PM »

I have general jaw pain. I first thought it was my teeth but it extends up my face as well as down and along my jaw. I think it's because I clench my teeth at night and waken most mornings with a stiff jaw. I try to keep my tongue in the right position and I rub on an anti inflamitory gel night and morning. My jaw also clicks.
Of course this is all self diagnosed  ::) and I just tried rubbing the gel on to see if it helped and it did.

Honeybun
X

milly

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 07:10:01 PM »

Not so much my tongue but my ear on that side was sore

dahliagirl

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 11:35:05 AM »

I have had trouble with a clenched jaw since I came off the COC pill 2 1/2 years ago.  I remember my Grandma complaining about this. ::)

babyjane

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 10:26:36 AM »

Yes I have this.  I was referred to the hospital by my dentist.  I had a mouthguard made to stop my clenching my teeth at night but I bit through it!

I was also given exercises at the physio clinic.  then I went to a chiropractor and it has not been so bad these last 2 years.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 12:24:02 PM »

I thought of you at mid-night when I had SUDDEN, very sharp pain in the ear and down the side of my face - gone as soon as it happened fortunately!

Morwenna

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 01:25:23 PM »

I have been subconsciously clenching my teeth for the last four or five years. I read somewhere it can be caused by low Magnesium levels?! Not sure how a mineral deficiency can manifest itself as a physical habit? I'm more inclined to think stress is involved as I do it more at work. Although it did coincide with the start of menopause?! So maybe hormones play a part...   I had x-rays and a consultation at a maxillofacial clinic following prolonged jaw ache and TMJ was the diagnosis. They reckoned it's just 'one of those things' that sometimes happens. One of the good bits of advice they gave was to push the tongue into that fleshy lump just above where the two top front teeth meet and keep it there. It's just about impossible to teeth clench with the tongue in this position but of course you need to remember to do it which isn't easy when you're distracted! My GP also advised not to eat big baguettes which made me laugh  :D