Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: "How a vitamin cured my anxiety" - long but definitely worth a read  (Read 8222 times)

Night_Owl

This is a long article, although not too scientific, about treating anxiety / depression with Folinic Acid, B12, Zinc, B6. 

It is also refers to migraine.

http://m.couriermail.com.au/news/national/how-a-vitamin-cured-my-anxiety-elisa-blacks-story-of-lifelong-struggle-and-new-hope-for-the-future/story-fnii5yv5-1227251037624

rosebud57

Re: "How a vitamin cured my anxiety" - long but definitely worth a read
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 10:40:52 AM »

This looks interesting.  I've heard before that vit D deficiency can cause depression so it goes to show you need a healthy body for a healthy mind. :)

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 12:05:48 PM »

Vitamin D works because you need it as part of the thyroxine pathway.  Once it has entered the cell and converted (to T3 I think), it needs vit D3 to connect to where it is used.  If you do not have enough, then you get symptoms of low thyroxine, ie lethargy and depression.  It is easy to get low on D3 in this country, because there is not enough sunlight between October and March, so you have to get out a lot in the summer!  We have had a few cloudy summers recently.  Vit D3 has helped me  :)

You need Vit B12 to make thyroxine.  I am taking B vitamins to see if that helps too.  It is always better to get your vitamins in your diet, because they absorb and work much better.  B vitamins are one of the ones that people don't get so much of.

rosebud57

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 12:21:08 PM »

I tend to buy tablet, rather than capsule vits, for the same reason.  At least with a tablet you can crunch them up.  Take mine with milk to offset any tummy irritation. 

SueRoe

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 12:59:35 PM »

Apparently our habit of wearing face moisturisers with sunscreen to ward off the wrinkles means that the only bit of our skin that's exposed to daylight in the winter can't make the Vit D that we need because the process needs UV light. It's not always made clear on the packaging that a facecream contains sunscreen/filters/block/whatever. I suppose we have a choice - wrinkles or Vit D (though I suspect that in winter light levels are so low that we're not going to get UV damage anyway).

Night_Owl

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 01:37:05 PM »

I take Higher Nature Vitamin D, can't say it has made any difference though.

Some while ago, I stopped taking B Complex and after reading this article, will be starting it again.

Sparkle, I've taken Biocare Vit B Complex in the past - they weren't too bad size-wise, slim.

The Higher Nature B Complex could be broken in half as they are solid.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 03:37:32 PM »

:thankyou:

Dad was on certain anti-depressant medication which meant he had to avoid VitB12 - can't remember why  :-\.  His Psycahiastirst at the time [who has been slammed since  :(], believed that depression can be due to a chemical imbalance in the brain [organic].  Having suffered myself, I KNOW it to be true for me i.e. pre-menstrual tearfulness, I also have clinical depression [situational].

I know that if I don't eat property I get the shakes, nausea etc.; also lack of exercise makes me feel sluggish.  So if we lack mineral deficiency it figures that other parts of us can suffer.  Certainly late F in L had beriberi which is a mineral deficiency …….

We are what we eat! 

rosebud57

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 05:18:16 PM »

'We are what we eat!'

Well, I'm pure chocolate then!!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 07:39:34 PM »

… and me - I melt when ever DH looks my way  :-*  ;)  ;D

Winterose

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 12:37:39 PM »

We have also stopped eating enough fat to help process the Vit D - low fat milk , spreads , cutting fat off our meat  etc so that with sunscreen has exacerbated problem

BrightLight

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 03:41:43 PM »

Interesting.  I am thinking of looking into this myself.  My sister has had my nephew tested and he has both MTHFR mutations and my sister has one of them.  In which case I think I might have problems with absorption and processing of these nutrients. I switched my B vitamins a couple of months ago to ones that methylate more easily.  It makes sense of continued low level anxiety and hormone imbalance.  It isn't easy to get these tests and a good doctor to explain it all - my sister is over in Australia, which seems to be a bit more used to these sort of genetic discoveries.