Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 45

Author Topic: Haemoragghic disease warnings  (Read 122174 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Dog Breeds
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2015, 01:35:48 PM »

Well Mazzy and Mrs J now have puppies  :o ……..  ;D

Irish setters never grow up  :P ……… do add all the fun as you go along!

hellen

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2015, 01:56:10 PM »

no i dont think there is a chocolate st bernard, most likely a newfie as you though xx

CLKD

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2015, 02:02:49 PM »

I know there isn't, I've been in touch with a breeder  ;)

honeybun

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2015, 03:31:29 PM »

I used to have an Irish setter. Great dog who looked beautiful. Impossible to train. Let her off the lead and she was gone.....a red tail in the distance. Loved her to bits but she was as mad as a hatter.

I even paid for her to go to training school...did it work did it heck. Hubby was the only one who had any control. Lovely dog though,but wild.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2015, 09:15:59 PM »

Irish then  ;) ………. red headed wild child ………. she wasn't deaf though?  They are hunt, point, retrieve so should have that pointing attitude, i.e. they 'set' at scent.  Like pointers - my cocker would go to point for ages - usually it was a shrew, long gone  ;D

honeybun

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2015, 09:55:17 PM »

Selective hearing, and she was gun shy  ;D

Good for patting though.  ;D

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2015, 01:09:31 PM »

Gentle are the Irish  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2015, 06:32:05 PM »

Just when I think I've seen it all:  2-day I met a very calm Czechoslovakian Wolfdog.

Brindle in colour.  Standing the height of a well-bred GSD.  Lives with 2 others dogs and apparently, apart from not allowing them to share his bowl he is laid back and very much a pack animal.  Do we really need another breed in the UK though, having looked at CZEC Wolfdog Rescue we don't  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2015, 12:00:24 PM »

I can't own pets any more.  They cause too much anxiety  :'( which is why I enjoy being a 'fairs' I get to stroke and walk away  ;)

oldsheep

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2015, 10:38:29 AM »

I miss my cats so much don't think I could ever get another.

I've been researching dog breeds that can live in flats. A friend's mum is having a litter of either norfolk or norwich terriers. He says they are great characters and don't bark.
Q: would they (as a rule, I know each dog is different) get on with a fox terrier as we have one that lives downstairs? Would they also be driven nuts by smells of foxes in the communal garden? Neighbour should've got a labrador or something that isn't hard wired to think fox all the time.
I want a dog that's gentle, plays and I can cuddle. Soppy eyes. The fox terrier isn't cute at all; just runs and chases what he thinks is a fox. Hates being petted.

CLKD

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2015, 11:49:16 AM »

Think what terriers were initially bred for.  Most were put down holes after badgers, rabbits, rats, stoats …… so the chase instinct is high as is the nipping tendency.  My JR would run off with an ear cocked my way, like 'I'll be back in my own time'  ::) ……… she would also fight with anything larger than herself.  Fox terriers kind of bounce along on their toes somehow.  Have a word with the owner downstairs to see what her dog is like with others, go for a walk with them to see how it reacts!  How often do you meet on the stairs?

However, Norfolk (ears down), Norwich (ears up like the Cathedral  ;) ) terriers are 'flat sized'.  A dog is to an extent is what the owner makes it, you are aware of the chase tendency so you could be absolutely fine with one.  They are a nice size.  Friendly.  Need cuddles and grooming, regular walks and should be kept occupied. 

Go and have a look at the breeder/potential litter? 

honeybun

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2015, 01:09:03 PM »

A Bichon would be great in a flat. One draw back is they can be a bit barky. Apart from that they are great little dogs. They love company, are sociable and love nothing better than sitting on your knee at night all cuddled up. They have big personalities in a little body. Oh and they don't cast so no hair everywhere.

They are also happy with as much or as little walking as you want to give them.

I just love mine.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2015, 01:48:08 PM »

Most dogs will bark if allowed to  ;) except the Basenji which apparently sings  ;D

Mini poodle - they don't shed, are active and happy to be with people

kerrieann

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2015, 03:50:14 PM »

i keep looking for a little scruffy cross breed, but i will not pay the money they are asking for a mongrel  >:(  i just dont know how they can charge 500 for a cross, we know someone with a cross bichon, he is so cute and full of character but 450, no, thats not right surely  :-\

honeybun

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2015, 07:17:39 PM »

I paid more than that for mine 11 years ago but her mum was a breed champion. I've never regretted the money. She has paid us back with fun and affection for all these years.
My last dog was a Golden Retriever, she cost me 450 over 20 years ago. If you go to a breeder then those are the prices you will pay.
I have a friend that breeds the most wonderful Dobermans....not my kind of dog but these are stunning. She travels all over Europe with her stud dogs...,that's how good they are. When she has a litter that she is selling she maintains if you have to ask how much they are you are not the person she wants to sell to  :o
They sell for in excess of £1200 each.

Have you thought about a rescue dog. You might be able to get what you want and give a little dog a loving home.
If it's a specific breed you are after then most breeds have a website that re homes dogs that have been handed back to the breed society.

Honeybun
X
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 45