Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Response to the paper RE: Duration of Menopause  (Read 6481 times)

Emma

• Administrator
Response to the paper RE: Duration of Menopause
« on: February 20, 2015, 04:08:22 PM »

It was reported in the press that "Menopause symptoms like hot flushes can last 14 years".
See: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/nhs/11417975/Menopause-symptoms-like-hot-flushes-can-last-14-years.html

This is the response from Dr.Currie:
While it has been known for some time that the severity and duration of menopausal symptoms varies hugely and that the consequences of menopausal estrogen deficiency are unique to each woman, this report highlights the fact that the average duration of symptoms may well be longer than previously described. Therefore, when considering treatments for menopausal symptoms, there should be no arbitrary limits, the type and duration of treatment should be individualised.

Regarding the use of HRT, women can choose to take this for as long or as little a time as they feel the benefits outweigh the risks. When used appropriately, the benefits outweigh the risks for the majority of women up to the age of 60, and for many beyond that age, particularly for those who continue to have symptoms. The duration of symptoms cannot be predicted and hence neither can the duration for which treatment is required.

Joyce

Re: Response to the paper RE: Duration of Menopause
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 04:12:54 PM »

Thank you Emma.  :)

Limpy

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 04:42:06 PM »

Thanks Emma.

When talking about the duration of menopause, which bit of menopause are we talking about?
Looking back, I now know I was getting symptoms of the menopause way before I knew it had happened.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 04:46:24 PM »

That's peri ?  :-\ menopause kicks in proper once we have been 12 months completely period free.  Then symptoms begin  ;) - or not …… waxing and waning ………. all or nothing ………… how long is that piece of string  :-\    ::)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 05:02:15 PM »

Thank you for the response Emma - really helpful.

CKLD - symptoms like flushes etc often start a few years before the periods stop so I am hoping that this study is based on the whole of the menopause including the peri stage?
DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 05:17:56 PM »

I have been lucky then …….