Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Request to Moderator for a dedicated Alternatives Topic  (Read 33735 times)

Dancinggirl

Re: Request to Moderator for a dedicated Alternatives Topic
« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2015, 09:30:19 AM »

Brightlight - what you are advocating is a more holistic approach and I doubt this will ever be truly available on the NHS - or not until the government admits we all need to pay a lot more into the NHS to get the holistic treatment we would all like. This is why so many women are forced to seek help privately.  There are simply not the resources and GPs don't have the time to spend going into everything that is going on with our minds and bodies and then advising accordingly.  In an ideal world that is what should happen not just for the menopause but for all types of treatment.
The NHS has to concentrate on treating the front line problems, use drugs and treatments within strict guidelines (with good reason). Menopause is seen as a 'quality of life' issue - we're not going to die from this but when symptoms are severe they are obliged to give treatment or there will be consequences e.g. we might have to stop working. HRT is considered by many in the medical profession as a last resort because many GPs don't have the time or training to keep up to date with current thinking. Of course HRT or even SRRIs/ADs are not appropriate or desirable for many women - they simply doesn't suit every women. Many women are simply refused HRT once they have been on it for 5 years and then left high and dry without help with their symptoms unless they try SRRI/ADs which bring their own side effects and often don't work. The need for alternative ways to treat our symptoms is very great and again what works for one woman may not work for another.  This highlights the need for Well Women Centres that can provide a more holistic and informed approach.
My GP suggested I use Mindful Meditation (which I highlighted earlier on this thread) and she did suggest I increase my Phytoestrogen intake, which did nothing for me - I also tried Red Clover which is very expensive with no beneficial effect.
Too many women end up on a cocktail of drugs do deal with what must be meno symptoms and a more holistic approach is badly needed.  This is why so many women turn to so called 'alternative' ways to help them - sadly many of these are very expensive and as yet there is very little evidence that they all work.  If they did work then drug companies would be producing them commercially and they would be available on the NHS. I speak as someone who has tried sooooo many things and I really wish I had saved my money - I could have had a lovely holiday instead which would probably have done me more good.
I do think educating women about what to expect at the menopause and offering better advice about how to deal with it should be a priority; I fear this will not happen quickly as the more women know and understand the more they will demand treatment - this is why this site is so special. Yes, this site needs to concentrate on more conventional treatments as it empowers women to ask for what they need. 
Should we discuss alternative treatments on this site - absolutely - but it must be done within perimeters and we must be careful what we put forward. Many websites offering treatments will feature testimonials praising what is being sold - they are not going to feature the negative comments so we should be sceptical.
This is a reputable site that the medical profession and women can trust.
Please - lets keep supporting each other in a positive way.
DG x

honeybun

« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2015, 09:52:57 AM »

Thank you all.

I still have had no response. Perhaps if a good few of us messaged Dr Currie and Emma it might put over the message that we think there is a place for this on the forum.

At the moment I don't think that a couple of messages from one member, despite this topic, is going to carry much weight.

Just a thought.

Honeyb
x

Hurdity

« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2015, 10:58:51 AM »

:thankyou: Dancinggirl - brilliant post.

I sincerely hope that a "good few" of you do not send messages to Dr Currie or Emma. For goodness sake - think about what they have to do in their lives especially Dr Currie! Do you really want to clog up their inboxes? Honeybun has made the request through the proper channels and it will be considered at the appropriate time. Whether there is a section or not is neither here nor there to me, but please do not distract professionals from more important stuff. Although I can see some of you feel strongly about this, it really is a trivial issue (ie whether or not there is a separate section of the forum) in the grand scale of things - and as I said - if anyone wants to post about alternative treatements there is plenty of opportunity to do so, and there is a lot of information on this site already which I highlighted in a new thread.

Hurdity

rosebud57

« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »

Hurdity, if this topic is of no concern to you, that's fine. However as you can see from the posts it is of deep concern to many of us.

I don't think it would be right to 'drop it', just because you don't approve.

A little more respect for others views please.

rosebud57

« Reply #94 on: February 21, 2015, 12:00:25 PM »

My post is STILL there Hurdity (see page 5).

Why would you assume it has been delete????

What a strange thing to say.  Please explain yourself.

honorsmum

« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2015, 12:20:04 PM »

Wow.
I'm becoming increasingly uncomfortable with the tone of some of the posts on here.
There's a sense of gate keeping, which is not what I thought the forum was about.  :o

Emma

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2015, 12:33:08 PM »

I'm locking this topic for the weekend.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]