Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: 1st invitation to have mammogram  (Read 22648 times)

libby1

Re: 1st invitation to have mammogram
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2015, 12:02:04 PM »

I had one a couple of weeks ago and it didn't hurt at all, not even mild discomfort.

Libby
x

Hurdity

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2015, 12:38:40 PM »

Hi katejo - I was nearly 53 when I had mine. You are supposed to be offered them every 3 years once you reach 50 but it depends on when the mobile unit does the rounds I think (ie every 3 years ours comes). I'd obviously just missed the one which came just before I was 50 (you would think they would ask people who were near 50 a bit early!). Hope it goes well.

Hurdity x

Katejo

« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2015, 03:16:22 PM »

I had one a couple of weeks ago and it didn't hurt at all, not even mild discomfort.

Libby
x

How long did you have to wait for the result? Are you in the UK? I have just completed a form to take with me and they ask if  they can email me re. follow up if required.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2015, 03:55:05 PM »

I usually get a letter within 10 days.  I ought to have a look-see to make sure when the mobile truck is in our area during 2015 - but only remember in the early hours  ::)

purplenanny

« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2015, 03:59:33 PM »

Mine wazn't painful, just a little uncomfortable. My letter came in 10 days (south-east). PN x x

Katejo

« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2015, 10:41:39 PM »

Today was my birthday and i really didn't want to get the letter (unless it was good news). Of course fate worked against me. the letter had come and I have to go to another appointment at Barts in London on Friday. I am now really scared. When i had the first one done, the lady seemed to have some trouble doing it, perhaps because my breasts are really fairly small. i am hoping that she didn't get an adequate picture. I haven't seen any changes or felt any lumps. i just have the muscular discomfort under my left arm. :'(

purplenanny

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2015, 10:58:59 PM »

Oh katejo, I am so sorry. I can understand how worried you must be, we all dread getting that letter. If she had trouble then that's probably what is wrong and they just need to do a double check.

Friday will soon be here, do you have someone who can go with you for support?

I will be thinking of you and hope everything is ok. Please let us know how you get on. :hug:

Hard for you not to worry, but try to remain positive.

Did you do anything nice for your Birthday. Rotten timing with the letter

Sending a big hug with lots of strength inside.   PN x x

Katejo

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2015, 02:54:31 AM »

Thanks for your replies. Birthday was ok. Had meal with friends. Now can't sleep.trying to tell myself that I have found no lumps or nipple changes but worried because they have called me back so quickly. 

rosebud57

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2015, 08:32:24 AM »

katejo, I too had a call back after my first mammogram.  It turned out that one of the images was blurry.

All they did was take another one and a doctor checked it there and then, and gave me the all clear.

Try not to worry, it's hopefully a similar technical blip.

Katejo

« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2015, 11:26:20 AM »

Thanks Sparkle and Rosebud57

I was partly reassured to read that 8-9% of first timers get called back. Their letter had the line 'We need to do this for some women before we give a definite result'. I am hoping that this indicates a likely result in my favour.  It also said that a letter had been sent to my GP about it. Does that suggest that they might have found something to check?

I rang the nurse at Barts today. Wanted to see if they would give me any indication at all. Asked whether results weren't clear or whether they suspected a possible problem. Was told not to worry too much. Said it was because i am a first timer so they couldn't compare with previous record. They want to check a small area of tissue on the left. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 05:12:23 PM by katejo »

Katejo

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2015, 05:10:36 PM »

Katejo - I'll be thinking of you, with everything crossed!  Mine turned out to be calcium deposits on the left when the pain I'd been worrying about was on the right.  When they compared it with my one 3 years ago apparently they could see that they had been there then but because technology has improved in that time they could see it better and that it hadn't changed in the three years.  It was a case of making sure they weren't missing anything.  Glad the chat with the nurse was reassuring for you.

S x

All is ok!  :)  But I had a really stressful morning. They were running late and i was there for 3 whole hours. Didn't see anyone for 45 mins after appt. time. They showed me the original mammogram. They thought there was something on the left breast  but it didn't show up on today's mammogram. They also did an ultrasound just in case but it was ok. Just pleased that i didn't need a biopsy because I would have had to wait another 2 weeks for the results.

purplenanny

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2015, 05:47:34 PM »

Well done katejo! Really pleased for you.
Must have been horrible waiting but good you had the news you wanted.
Sending hugs
PN x x

rosebud57

« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2015, 05:54:18 PM »

Result :cheer:

I said it would be ok.  Most of the time its a technical blip.

Now you can relax. :)

Katejo

« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2015, 03:04:24 PM »

I am going for post birthday drinks this eve with a friend who couldn't make it on wednesday.  :)

Annie0710

« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2015, 11:36:46 PM »

Glad everything was ok for you

I was called for my first one last year, almost age 48 then, they are trialling 47/48 yr olds for their first mammograms, I think they are doing the same with younger women for smears too
Xx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]