Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: 1st invitation to have mammogram  (Read 22651 times)

LindyLouLou

Re: 1st invitation to have mammogram
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2015, 11:26:39 PM »

4pm tomorrow - not sure I will sleep tonight! Adding to the anxiety is the fact that I am travelling abroad next week to visit my daughter.  If it is not good news don't know how I will cope.  Not sure what they will do tomorrow at the breast clinic or if I will get any answers - do you have any idea?  I wish I was more stoic!!

Big hug back
L xx

dahliagirl

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2015, 02:27:14 PM »

Hi

My follow up at the breast clinic (having failed mammogram) consisted of:

Talk with the breast nurse and viewing of the pictures from the screening mammogram.

More mammograms, trying to find what was on the original mammograms (about 6 shots - it was right against the chest wall, so difficult to get at.  The machine was more sophisticated and they could do a variety of different shots by changing the plates.)

Examination by the consultant radiographer and ultra sound with the nice mammography lady present.

In my case, they went off together and looked at the x-rays again, then came back  did another ultrsound, very carefully, because they couldn't find what was on the original mammogram.

If they are not sure, after doing the above, they will do a biopsy to make absolutely sure, or investigate further.  I didn't get this far and from what I can find out, only a small proportion of the recalls do.

In my case, they found nothing.  They have a meeting at the end of the week where they look at all the cases where they are going to sign off, and make sure there really is nothing that they should have done better.  Then you get signed off.  There are really, really careful  ;)

dahliagirl

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2015, 02:49:29 PM »

I hope that yours works out as well.

There was a lady ahead of me.  I don't thinks she was from the screening programme.  She was expecting bad news and had a friend (who had already had treatment) with her.  Unfortunately, it was not good news.  They spent quite a lot of time checking her out and with the consultant.  I had about an hour's falling asleep time whilst they did this, but I am glad they had plenty of time for her.

There was an old lady too, who seemed to be a regular.  They made her a cup of tea before she left.  I was very impressed with their care, and that they still had time for me, even though there was nothing there in the end.  It was just before Christmas, so maybe a quiet time.

Sarai

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2015, 07:08:27 PM »

Well I'm not going to say don't do it, but my 1st mammo led to 3 months of hell. I was recalled, had core biopsy, well 20 actually, they failed to get the tissue they wanted. I waited 4 weeks for bruising to go to have a mammotome, it was done twice again failed to get the tissue. On the 14th January I had full surgery. I am disfigured now. I got the all clear. I am depressed and anxious the stress has driven me to the edge. I know it was necessary but right now I feel destroyed.

Hurdity

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2015, 08:45:45 PM »

So sorry to hear this Sarai but probably better to have it done than for potential cancer to be missed? I hope you will heal gradually and completely so be gentle on yourself.

I wanted to give some good news from my point of view after my 4th (5th because of re-call) mammogram I recived the all-clear today which I am so relieved about. I was worried about my boobs as have a few issues, and as I've mentioned before have lumpy breasts, had had two lumps in the past and recurrent mastitis when I breast-fed my 4 children, as well as having been on HRT for 8 years.

I do hope the rest of you have good news following your investigations.

:hug: for everyone who is anxious about this - I have been secretly worried myself over the last couple of weeks too.

Hurdity x

LindyLouLou

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2015, 08:59:56 PM »

Hello Ladies and especially Sparkle, I hope everything went well for you today.  Unfortunately for me not such good news.  Cancer diagnosed and struggling to get my head round this at the moment obviously Just want to get on with treatment now.
 :'(

Rhubarb

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2015, 02:03:21 AM »

LindyLouLou, I wish you all the best.  I'll be going for my mammogram next week.  Here in the US it's recommended we get yearly mammograms starting at age 40 but I haven't had one in over two years.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 02:18:59 AM by Rhubarb »

LindyLouLou

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2015, 10:18:02 AM »

Thanks everyone.  Back to see report wed and hopefully oncologist Thursday. Not coping just seeing all the doom and gloom at the moment.
xx

Sarai

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2015, 11:46:45 AM »

LindyLouLou I really feel for you. I am ashamed that I'm depressed with the all clear but you must be doubly depressed. Did you have any results of the grade before surgery, do you know what you are up against yet?

LindyLouLou

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2015, 02:05:12 PM »

Not yet Sarai, Wednesday I suppose.  Anyone else been through this - any reassurances of coming out the other end woiuld be good  :'(

honeybun

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2015, 02:35:03 PM »

I have two friends who have had and fully recovered. One of them now runs a support group in my town. ....might be worth looking to see if there is anything like that near you.

My sister in law has also had breast cancer and has just had her five year check and is great. She became a Bhudist during her treatment and said her helped her a lot. She still meditates twice a day and is probably healthier now than she has ever been.

It must be so hard to get your head round what is happening to you.

If you start a new topic it won't be lost here as there are a few other women on the forum who have been where you are and who will want to help.

Honeyb
X

tiger74

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2015, 05:25:18 PM »

Hi LindyLouLou - I had the "full house" of treatment for breast cancer 5 years ago (endocrine therapy and genetic-related investigations both still ongoing).  No detectable recurrences, pleased to say.  You will know more once you've had your meeting at the hospital.  I know how horrible this 'limbo' time is. 

PM me if you want any info.  Also the Breast Cancer Care website is very good and they have forum too.   

Sarai

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2015, 07:05:35 PM »

I do know many people who have gone through it and are clear now. One a woman now on 70's who had it over 20 years ago. I also knew a lady who had it and thyroid cancer but died in her 80's of old age.

Rhubarb

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2015, 08:56:18 PM »

LindyLouLou, I have a friend who was diagnosed last August (just after losing her dad to brain cancer) and has been undergoing treatment. Just a few weeks ago she announced that she is cancer-free! I know it's overwhelming right now but there are so many women who have come through it healthy and strong.

Thanks Sparkle. Most health insurance plans will fully cover yearly mammograms for women over 40. Some states require it by law. My insurance covers them so I can have a mammogram every year and pay nothing.

Katejo

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2015, 11:05:45 AM »

Hello Ladies and especially Sparkle, I hope everything went well for you today.  Unfortunately for me not such good news.  Cancer diagnosed and struggling to get my head round this at the moment obviously Just want to get on with treatment now.
 :'(

Have only just remembered my original question and checked for replies. Really sorry to hear that you have had bad news. I went ahead and confirmed my appointment but it hasn't happened yet. Mine is on Tuesday 3rd. I am crossing my fingers. i haven't noticed anything so can only hope.  One friend of mine opted not to have it done. She is a couple of years older but I remember her telling me.
i am slightly surprised at some peoples comments re. periods. I haven't had any for a whole year now but this is my first invitation to have a mammogram. I had expected to get one when I was just 50 but I am now nearly 52. I was also surprised to read that it could be very painful. I was expecting discomfort but not real pain.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4