Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: 1st invitation to have mammogram  (Read 22645 times)

purplenanny

Re: 1st invitation to have mammogram
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 10:12:36 PM »

I think I will do the same dahliagirl, good advice. PN x x

LizeeeH

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 02:03:57 PM »

Had mine last November, its was my 3rd and I must admit I didn't know whether to go or not? but I did and was very nervous waiting for the results :-\

Hurdity

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 03:31:01 PM »

Just had mine (4th - actually 5th because had an extra due to recall on one of them) this morning - not a twinge or anything that could remotely be described as pain or even discomfort. Just a slight feeling of being squashed... I am post-menopausal though, and on HRT.

Just wanted to re-assure others that it doesn't have to be painful!  :)

Hurdity x

tiger74

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 10:22:10 PM »

Had mine last November, its was my 3rd and I must admit I didn't know whether to go or not? but I did and was very nervous waiting for the results :-\

At the end of the day, if the prospect of feeling very nervous waiting for the results is worse than the prospect of picking up cancer at an advanced stage, then don't go for screening.

Just had mine (4th - actually 5th because had an extra due to recall on one of them) this morning - not a twinge or anything that could remotely be described as pain or even discomfort. Just a slight feeling of being squashed... I am post-menopausal though, and on HRT.

Just wanted to re-assure others that it doesn't have to be painful!  :)

Hurdity x

Ah, the voice of reason, thank you Hurdity.  I hear and read so much about mammograms being painful.  I've had quite a few and have also felt nothing worse than the feeling of being squashed and slight discomfort leaning against the machine as I am slim and don't have a protective covering of fat.   

honeybun

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 10:31:26 PM »

For me it's uncomfortable but in no way painful. I am slim too and the most uncomfortable part was being jammed up against the machine. It's over and done with so quickly.

I am due for one this year I think and I shall turn up like a good girl just the same as I turn up for a smear. Don't like doing it but I think we are very lucky to be offered this kind of screening.

Honeyb
X

dahliagirl

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 09:36:44 AM »

For me, my first mammogram really was painful.  It was like a Chinese burn, that got more painful the longer I was squashed and with each repeated squash.  I was sore for several days after and had two sore, itchy patches that came back each month.  Once I realised it was the beginnings of mastitis, I took some ibuprofen for a few days and it settled.  Unfortunately, as this was my first time, I knew nothing different.

The second time couldn't have been more different.  I didn't feel a thing, partly because of the painkillers and partly because the operator was careful, lined everything up properly took only the two shots each side, was quicker, and did not leave me hanging on tip-toes.  Even after the follow-up, where I had multiple mammograms with different attachments, I was only mildly sore afterwards for a couple of days, if I poked it.

dahliagirl

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2015, 12:21:50 PM »

My second one was a week after my breasts had started to go down after a rogue month and still a bit sore, and it was still better  :)

LindyLouLou

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2015, 01:57:47 PM »

Me too sparkle. Thursday afternoon. Dr has given me some diazepam as so anxious  :'(

Hurdity

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2015, 05:20:15 PM »

Sorry to hear that - what did the letter say? When I had a recall the time before last they said sometimes the results aren't clear enough so they need to do them again but no mention of any abnormalities so I wasn't worried. Perhaps if you move slightly during the mammogram or your breasts were denser at that particular point? Fingers crossed that is the reason and all will be well. Do try not to worry but I can see it is hard not to do so.

Hurdity x

Evenstar

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2015, 10:02:42 PM »

I think I must be due to have another mammogram this year and I have to say I'm dreading it. The last one was uncomfortable rather painful, but I fainted last time and I'm terrified it'll happen again. :(

LindyLouLou

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2015, 03:26:11 PM »

Hi Sparkle I haven't had a period for over a year now.  My mammogram in July 2013 was fine.  I suffer such bad health anxiety anyway and panic etc, but I wasn't actually worrying about breast cancer, then wham a couple of weeks ago I noticed my left nipple wasn't as erect anymore like my right and I can feel more density behind it. GP said she couldn't feel a lump as such but agreed that more dense and nipple different so referred me to breast clinic.  Feel ill with worry.  Hope all is well for you on Friday.
Lindyloulou xx

LindyLouLou

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2015, 04:39:15 PM »

And I am constantly aware of my left!!!

:hug:

xx

dahliagirl

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2015, 12:11:48 PM »

Dear Evenstar

Do make sure you are standing comfortably when you have your mammogram. 

And make sure you are not holding your breath.  It is easy to do when you are concentrating on standing in an uncomfortable position and anxious.

Best of luck everyone.

dahliagirl

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2015, 04:51:05 PM »

I breathed throughout mine - perhaps that's where I went wrong ;D  However, not told not to breathe in any of the follow-up shots either, and they were ok  :)

When I went last time, with the lovely lady, I was comfortable and could breathe with no problems. (also drugged up to the eyballs - see above)  I hope I get her next time. ::)  The lady at the breast clinic for the recall was a real expert  ;)

LindyLouLou

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2015, 07:19:55 PM »

Hi Sparkle, been thinking of you too.  Not too long to wait now though.  Feeling physically ill though with the anxiety.  How are you? xx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4