Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Your experiences please  (Read 3681 times)

Pauline

Your experiences please
« on: January 14, 2015, 09:08:11 AM »

Hello all you lovely ladies. Well, it is now three and a half weeks since I went into hospital with lobar pneumonia. I am eating much better now and the temperature, whilst still a bit AWOL, is much more as it should be. GP says lungs are clear and the second lot of Amoxicillin stopped last Friday.
However, and this is a big problem for me as an active outdoor person, I still have very little energy. Andrew has been very good taking the dog for walks but I WANT TO! Still haven't tackled my euphonium - know I won't have the stamina for it but I WANT TO! You get the idea.
Those of you who have had pneumonia, and I hope there won't be many, it's a ghastly experience: what were your recollections on getting strength and stamina back for day to day living? I'm beginning to think those days will never return, and it is having quite a psychological effect on me. I am taking Floradix liquid iron formula and hope this will help but I only started yesterday.
Going for the routine 4 week after infection chest XRay next week but would appreciate your thoughts. A friend, who is a nurse, says it could take another three weeks to feel right. I will be chewing the carpet (if I have the energy!) by then.
Thanks.

Ju Ju

Re: Your experiences please
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 10:15:44 AM »

I haven't had pneumonia, but this time last year I was recovering from a chest infection and asthma, which required hospitalisation. It took a while to recover and regain energy (though I had to have copious amounts of ABs and steroids for a while). It is a good sign that you are impatient to get better; you are on the way. But be patient and pamper yourself, accepting any help offered. Housework was beyond me for a while, but I did do a lot of sorting paperwork, files and streamlining things. You will get better, stage by stage. When you feel up to it short walks, then rest.  A chance to read, watch rubbish on TV and not feel guilty!  Best wishes, Ju Ju xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 10:16:14 AM »

HI Pauline - so pleased to hear you are better. I think you need to be patient.  I have definitely fallen down the hole of doing too much too soon after having any nasty virus or infection and paid the price of having quite long term post viral fatigue.  When I had a root canal infection with a big dose of antibiotics I was shattered for some weeks afterwards.
Recovering from the ABs, never mind the actual pneumonia, takes time. I'm sure you will be walking the dog and playing your euphonium soon but you will need to ease into it gently and gradually.
Floradix is fab, I would also eat plenty of live plain yogurt to get the flora balance back in your gut after the ABs. The energy will return but 'be kind to yourself' in the short term or your recovery could take longer.
DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 10:39:00 AM »

Little steps.  These bugs affect the whole body so don't try to do too much too soon. Can't add any more than already suggested so have  :tulips:

Millykin

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 11:15:13 AM »

My daughter had to build up slowly short walks plenty rest between eating good it can be long but take it easy
X

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 11:21:42 AM »

Hello Pauline.

I'm glad you are recovering but I feel I must reply to you as I have actually had pneumonia. This happened a long time ago when I was fifteen and I was treated at home with oral antibiotics. What I remember most about that time is feeling weak even after the infection had gone and I missed a lot of school.

It is a good sign that you are eager to get going again but you must take adequate rest. My mother used to tell people that "we nearly lost her" and as pneumonia is a serious illness maybe she wasn't far wrong.

Take care and take it easy.

K.

Pauline

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 11:31:20 AM »

Thanks to you all. Yes, it seems as though patience will have to be the watchword for a while yet. At least we work from home so I can do little bits to help Andrew on computer in the warm kitchen and just stop when I feel I need to.
I don't think I realised just what a hammering the body takes with pneumonia - and I only had it in the lower lobe of the left lung (how's that for alliteration?!) so am very sorry for those who have a more severe form.
I will just have to accept that "this too will pass" and take comfort from little improvements.
You're very kind. These forums are a godsend to us all.

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 11:38:31 AM »

I had pneumonia about 18 years ago. Oral ABs didn't touch it, so was put in hospital for IV ABs. I felt pretty rough when I got home, but because it was almost Christmas I pushed myself, even went to Glasgow with daughter as I'd promised her a lovely dress for a prom. Just about killed me. Recovered a bit & went back to work. I just thought I had to fight it, but turned out to be bad idea & ended up back in hospital.

So take it easy! I cannot stress the need to be kind to yourself enough.  Your energy will come back, but it takes time.

rosebud57

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 02:24:22 PM »

Be careful with the iron supplement.  Too much is as bad a too little.