Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: coughing  (Read 9679 times)

robotwars

coughing
« on: December 23, 2014, 06:59:25 PM »

Hi! I have had a cough now for 4 months, I have been to my GP twice, the first time he said to monitor it and see if it improved, the second time he gave me a blue inhaler and told me to take two puffs every night. The cough is the same..... has anyone else had this, not sure what to do now, how long do I persist in using the blue inhaler before I go back again! it all started back at the end of August when I had a cold and I have been coughing ever since!! My voice keeps going croaky as well but doctor didn't seem concerned at all, should I be worried? you read so many things now days that you start to worry about everything, especially at the moment with all the women's problems I'm having, if you know what I mean........

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: coughing
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 07:03:44 PM »

Is it a dry cough? or are you producing phlegm?

Have a look at information about using high dose Magnesium capsules - magnesium can relax the cough reflex.  I found good results in 1991 …… however, magnesium can cause a bowel upset  ;)

robotwars

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 07:28:06 PM »

Thanks, its a dry cough, I will look it up, thanks

tiger74

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 09:12:50 PM »

has anyone else had this,

Yes, I have. My GP certainly took me seriously when I presented with persistent cough (she referred me to respiratory consultant).  However, I have had a breast cancer diagnosis in the past so she was probably being more cautious than she would perhaps have been with other patients.  Thankfully all was well, BTW.

I would have thought a GP should send a patient with persistent unexplained cough (more than 3 weeks) for further investigations.  IMHO you are being fobbed off with an inhaler and should insist on a chest x-ray at the very least. 

All the best.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 06:49:26 PM by tiger74 »

bramble

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 09:19:18 PM »

Up here we are sent for a chest xray if cough is longer than 3-4 weeks. Despite knowing that, I had mine for over 6 weeks before I went and she gave me a prescription cough bottle containing codeine. Went in 3 days! Magic!
I think you should go back to the doctor.
Bramble

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 09:37:39 PM »

The trouble with a cough that goes on for so long is it becomes a habit. My daughter used to be very chesty and coughed through most winters. My GP told me it had become a habit for her and he was right.

He gave me Pholocodeine for her which suppresses the cough reflex. As long as the cough is not productive you are safe to use it.
Another thing I found very helpful for her was to use Vicks on her chest at night along with a hot water bottle. It opens the tubes and makes things easier. Also steam helps a lot. Boiling water in a bowl with some menthol and a towel over your head.
Your tubes are irritated and all these things will sooth them.

Take care.

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 09:42:17 PM »

I was told mine was post nasal drip. Got antihistamines and nasal spray. I also have asthma, so hard to differentiate between causes.

tiger74

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 09:54:03 PM »

Re: Pholcodine linctus....NHS UK website suggests: 

"Always get advice from a healthcare professional before having this medicine if:
•you are allergic or sensitive to or have had a reaction to any of the ingredients in the medicine
•this medicine is for a child under six years of age
•you have liver problems
•you have or are at risk of developing respiratory failure
•you have chronic bronchitis, bronchiolitis, bronchiectasis or COPD
•you have asthma
•you have kidney problems
•you have a persistent cough or have been coughing for a long time"

http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/MedicineOverview.aspx?medicine=Pholcodine%20linctus

I would have thought that coughing for 4 months constitutes "a long time".

Obviously entirely up to you whether you try an over-the-counter remedy or seek further guidance/treatment from the medical profession. 

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 10:11:02 PM »

Totally agree you should check, but my daughter had it from about age three, prescribed by our GP.
Maybe have a word with a pharmacist to see if it's suitable or not.

Failing that the Vicks might help a lot.

Honeyb
x

tiger74

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 10:21:08 PM »

Given that the Pholcodine Patient Information Leaflet states "talk to your doctor if you have a long-term cough", surely a conscientious pharmacist should ascertain that you have a long-term cough and suggest you talk to a doctor?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 10:29:47 PM by tiger74 »

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 10:28:59 PM »

Undoubtedly.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 02:42:50 PM »

However  ::) ……… I think the advert for lung cancer suggested a cough that lasts more than 3 weeks should be taken to a GP

Tabbycat

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2014, 04:28:59 PM »

How long have you been using the blue inhaler? If it's more than a week, I'd go back to your GP. Do you take any other medication?

I had a dry cough for about four months - it nearly drove me insane! I was coughing so much it made me vomit. I had two chest x-rays, which showed nothing, and various prescriptions, none of which helped. I also tried every over-the-counter cough remedy available.

In the end I found some anecdotal evidence that citalopram might be the cause so I started weaning myself off it. About a week later, the cough went. I have no idea if it was coincidence.

SueRoe

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 05:16:00 PM »

I remember reading once that a croaky voice with a cough can mean that there's acid from your stomach escaping and irritating your windpipe and voicebox. Maybe try Gaviscon to block its path or Zantac to reduce stomach acid production... I'd speak to your GP or pharmacist and ask what they think and see if these are safe for you to try.

Mrs January

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2014, 11:36:39 PM »

Hi Robot wars

I have just seen my GP a week ago for a sore throat and cough....I'm a nurse so thought I had laryngitis...imagine my surprise to be told I have  a chest infection !!! I was slightly breathless but no so to worry...just the sore throat was the start ( same symptoms I had in june too ) had a chest infection that time too. Now I am on my second course of antibiotics to clear this one and also using a blue inhaler......

A colleague had a cough for 4 months once and I suggested back to the GP.....she was allergic to eggs.......but was unaware of it just has  a lingering cough

Hope it helps
Mrs January xxx
Pages: [1] 2