Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Weird lump on foot at base of big toe  (Read 16371 times)

catdude

Weird lump on foot at base of big toe
« on: December 16, 2014, 09:38:43 PM »

Bit of a log shot but does anyone have any idea what could cause a hard lump - feels like bone hard - to suddenly (by which I mean overnight) appear on the top of my foot just at the base of my big toe? One day it wasn't there and the next it was.

I have no recollection of injuring it, and it isn't sore or bruised and the skin isn't damaged. It isn't painful to the touch but the general area aches slightly when I walk on it for any length of time.

It seems too insignificant to go to the GP about but it is a bit odd..... I wondered if it could be linked to my arthritis?
 ???

karin

Re: Weird lump on foot at base of big toe
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 10:13:37 PM »

I had something similar years ago on my hand, a pea like really hard fixed lump- turned out to be a giant cell ( harmless) tumour it was unslightly so i had it removed. Could also be an arthritic node or even a bunion, worth seeing a gp just do you know

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 10:18:16 PM »

I think if it was arthritis it would build gradually. I know my arthritic lumps and bumps have taken a long while to grow. Do you have any swelling in your foot.
I would give it a week or so and then visit your GP

Honeyb
x

rosebud57

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 10:21:07 PM »

If it was painful I would have said it was gout, but as it's not it's a bit of a mistery.  Probably worth a trip to the docs just in case it cause problems over Xmas.

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 11:20:41 PM »

I have had one episode of gout and it hurts....a lot. Toe is also very swollen.

Can't think what you have got to be honest although you can have bunion type things where you describe.

Honeyb
x

Nata

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 02:58:55 AM »

I would check for gout anyway - The level of uric acid

Rowan

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 08:54:37 AM »

Its called a ganglion and it can disappear just as soon as it came.

http://www.footvitals.com/skin/ganglion-cyst-foot.html

They usually appear just above the wrist, I had one that appeared over night was there for a while and I realised one day it had gone.

The old-fashioned way was to hit a ganglion with a bible, wouldn't advise that though.

I would check with your GP catdude just to put your mind at rest.

ellie

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 09:28:46 AM »

I had a lump like a pea that seemed to appear on my knuckle overnight, (not painful), my doctor said it was Arthritus and it would go eventually.....and it did after a few months.....just glad it wasn't at the end of my nose.......

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 10:19:08 AM »

I had a really big ganglion on my wrist and my GP told me to get hubby to whack it. He did and I nearly fell over with the pain. It did the job though. It did grow back a few times and was whacked again. Seems to be gone for good now.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 01:10:40 PM »

Ganglion was my first thought and yep, apparently the Family Bible is a good way of dispersing the fluid filled cyst.  It can be caused by continual movement of the tendon ……… they can be removed surgically if they rub and cause problems.

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 01:13:36 PM »

Or a burser (sp?) perhaps?  I had one on the top of my foot a while ago and it ached a lot until it went away again.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 01:14:11 PM »

Bursisitis is painful.  A different condition  ;) usually painful and often hot to touch.  'isitis' means inflammation …..

catdude

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 06:51:46 PM »

Thanks all - I did wonder about a bunion but it doesn't se to be in the right place (everything I've red say they appear on the side of the big toe not on the top).

Could be a ganglion although I had always thought of them as soft not hard but it's a possibility. I don't think I'll whack it with a book as it isn't painful whereas that treatment sounds as if it might be ;D

As you rightly say the only way to know is to get it looked at by the GP, it just seems a silly little thing to go for.

honeybun

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 07:15:49 PM »

My ganglion was soft ish and moveable. It was only painful when I pressed on it really hard.
Weirdest sensation when hubby whacked it. It was a rush of cold fluid just below the skin. It was a relief though as it had started to interfere with how much I could move my wrist.

Get it checked out, it might be something else entirely.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 08:02:04 PM »

Ganglia can be easily diagnosed.  Slightly mobile under the skin …….. it's a cyst.
Pages: [1] 2