Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dr.Currie in the press: The average menopause lasts...  (Read 15505 times)

Emma

• Administrator
Dr.Currie in the press: The average menopause lasts...
« on: December 16, 2014, 11:38:05 AM »

The average menopause lasts 3 years, 8 months and 20 days – and a THIRD of women say their sex life ends afterwards.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2874534/The-average-menopause-lasts-3-years-8-months-20-days-women-say-sex-life-ends-afterwards.html

babyjane

Re: Dr.Currie in the press: The average menopause lasts...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 02:55:23 PM »

that doesn't sound very long. My hot flushes started four and a half years ago and although they are less now they are still there.  The article doesn't mention Vagifem at all just Balance Activ  ???

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 06:12:08 PM »

I was surprised by length too, but it does say average.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 08:36:02 PM »

It's great that information is being put across to raise awareness of menopause issues.

babyjane and cubagirl  - don't forget that the behind any headline like this is a study - so it dooesn't actually mean that this is the definitive average length of the menopause - but these are the results of a study of 2000 women carried out by the Balance Activ company that make vaginal lubricants. That will be what prompted the article - I presume they made a press release, so it was good that Dr Currie was asked to make a statement too.

The question is whether it is a representative sample - another study of a different group of women might find a different time length. Also you could argue that it is likely to be an under-estimate if it only covers those who are not on HRT and able to answer the questionnaire. For example I have no idea how long my menopause would have lasted had I not gone on HRT. No-one on HRT could take part in such a survey - it would have to be a different study. Those who have severe symptoms and which might go on longer, may well be more likely to use HRT and would be under-represented in such a survey - do you see what I mean?

The most significant thing I thought was the sex drive or lack of it - it's about time something more was done about this! ie more reserach, treatments appropriate for women etc (ie testosterone...).

Hurdity x

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 11:06:11 PM »

Very true Hurdity.

Meg

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 03:17:22 AM »

I have not read this article.  Am very suspicious of anything published in the Daily Mail. My own experience is that once you are in menopause you are in it for the rest of your natural and women's experiences seem to vary hugely.  Those who are unlucky enough can experience the symptoms long term!  We dont seem to know much about why this is.

Morwenna

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 09:37:03 AM »

It looks like a thinly veiled advertisement for Balance Activ to me. I'm surprised at Dr Currie endorsing one particular product. I too take anything the Daily Mail publishes with a big pinch of salt.

Meg

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 02:07:37 AM »

Well said Morwenna.  The Daily Mail some time ago published an article on women whose menopause just went on and on, I dont buy this paper but I read that article on line, so they publish different viewpoints all the time, perhaps it sells the paper, who knows.

Meg

Dr. Heather Currie

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 05:57:45 AM »

Just to confirm, I was misquoted here and as rightly pointed out, I do not endorse particular products. I am happy that the press publish articles to increase awareness of menopausal issues, but misquotes are annoying! Sadly we may not get to see an article before it is published. Hey ho!
Best wishes
Heather

babyjane

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 09:49:02 AM »

I dislike the Daily Mail as a paper, I think it is manipulative,  but I do buy it a couple of times a month for the puzzle section. I do like their cryptic crossword and it is good for my brain and about the level I can work at (I digress....)

Morwenna

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 09:52:28 AM »

Thank you Dr Currie for taking the time out to explain. I suspected as much! Some journalists clearly need a :kick:
 :)

charliegirl

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 01:47:45 PM »

Unfortunately, I am one of the unlucky ones whose meno just goes on and on!! 62 now and still plagued by my hormones. :(

Meg

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 03:15:52 AM »

I am in that category too and I suspect so are many other women.

Meg

MARAUDER

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 06:36:24 PM »

Hi, did I just read that some one is still going through this menopause phase at the age of 62 ?????? That can't be right.....I started at the age of 38 I am now 48 and loosing the will to live. The thought that this could go on for many more years is depressing me further. If I carry on like this I am going to loose my job as I just can't function any more.

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2015, 10:43:03 AM »

Hi Marauder - welcome to the forum.

Are you on any kind of HRT and do you mean that your periods ceased at 38 or that you began to experience symptoms?

Taz x
Pages: [1] 2