Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Radial shockwave percussion therapy (ProBack clinics)  (Read 6483 times)

Katejo

Radial shockwave percussion therapy (ProBack clinics)
« on: December 04, 2014, 06:24:50 PM »

I would really like to hear from anyone who has tried the above, particularly if you did it with ProBack clinics. I have a longstanding problem with neck/top of back/shoulder tension. I have seen an osteopath on an occasional basis over a long period. I have also tried muscle stretching in the gym but can never be sure what has been effective. This technique claims to be specially designed to relieve muscle/joint tension.
I am considering having an assessment but it isn't cheap so want to know if it is worth it.  Thanks    :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Radial shockwave percussion therapy (ProBack clinics)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 07:57:56 PM »

Why pay for something you can get on the NHS?  I am going to spout my usual 'make sure that who ever plans to manipulate your spine/neck sees a recent X-ray'.  Many people who have been manipulated without anaesthetic have been paralysed  :o ………

Chronic pain needs managing.  So what exercises does your physio advise?  Who referred you 2 the osteopath?

Katejo

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 08:40:38 PM »

To be honest I don't have much faith in GP's re back problems. They tend to just tell you to take painkillers.  I went to the osteopath myself on recommendation from a family member. I did once get a physio referral but it was only available during working hours.
The ProBack place says that they use x rays if needed.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 08:41:58 PM »

That's a start!  Many don't ask for recent films.  How are you currently managing your pain levels and what does the osteopath suggest?

He/she should advise on daily exercise to improve muscle.  How to lift. How to use the iron to avoid stress on muscles.  Standing correct height at the sink is important.  How low the bed is from the floor can make a difference.  It's often little issues that can improve posture and ease stiffness and reduce pain levels.

Swimming crawl stroke can stretch the spine and water can ease pain.  Can't be bothered to get undressed though  ::)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 08:44:00 PM by CLKD »

Katejo

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 10:23:31 PM »

I think I am going to try your suggestion of a physio local to me first. The osteopath whom i used to see is on the other side of London (quite a trek). She suggested swimming but crawl only which I don't like doing much. I did go a few times but not often enough as it was tedious. Also my local pool has just closed for refurbishment. I now go to the gym and do stretching exercises.  i have just looked up a recognised physio within walking distance of my house.
re. pain: I take ibuprofen but only if really needed and use a cold pack. I also know some exercises but need a refresher

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 09:30:05 AM »

I actually love the heat patches when I have tension and strains in my neck, shoulders or back.  Posture is very important.  Advice about how to walk, sit and even lie down will be good. Having the right mattress and pillows is also very important. When did you last have a new mattress? This year I got a fab mattress in the John Lewis sale - a proper pocket sprung in a medium tension and I've had far fewer aches and tension headaches since. What you are describing sounds very much as though you need to get the right support for your body when you sleep and the right pillow to support your neck.  An orthopaedic mattress often isn't a good idea as it doesn't allow the body to relax into the right position. 
I also find some of the anti-inflammatory gels quite good e.g. Voltarol or Ibuleve.  Dg x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 01:50:30 PM »

Orthopaedic mattresses seemed a good idea but so many were too hard  ::) - when I was a medical secretary in the 1980s they were often suggested …..

I suggest that an hour before you do anything strenuous, you take your regular pain relief medication.  This morning I thought of you  8) [oh Santa hats are here!] …… I bent down to stroke the  :cat scratch: ….. and went 'oh!' - should have bent my knees!  [note to self  ::)].  I also suggest that swinging legs over the bed before trying to get out might help.

Forward planning helps.   If my sciatica is bad I take 2 Neurofen and go for a brisk walk.  I wonder why the 'crawl' stroke was advised?  :-\ ……… breast stroke is so much more gentle - but it's a phaff for me to get to the town, find parking, pay for swimming, get undressed …… so haven't been for oh, 12 years.  Does the gym have a physio for advise, some do?

DH uses the gels with good effect.  I find pre-planning actions ……. i.e. how to lift, bend, I even crawl round to tuck sheets into the bed and kneel to load the various laundry machines in the utility room - when I remember  ::) ……… it's usually the 'oh!' effect that jogs my memory though.

Let us know how you get on!