Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Any regular runners?  (Read 25177 times)

Briony

Re: Any regular runners?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 05:39:59 PM »

Micky, my doctor told me it was my running that probably prevented further bone problems after my estrogen plummeted suddenly two years ago. I think there is a fair bit of evidence which says running is more likely to do you good than bad, if that makes sense?  I miss it so much and can't wait to get back

Kas

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2015, 08:13:46 PM »

Hi, I'm new to running, but go out for 10 mins every morning , 2 laps round the estate I live on. Started beginning of november and have managed to keep it up over xmas. usually rest on the weekends, but miss it if don't  get out.
Briony, do you have any tips on the breathing while running please.

Kas xx

Briony

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2015, 08:26:36 PM »

Everybody's different, but when we used to take out beginners, we always used to say aim to be able to talk , but not sing, so you have the pace right. When you're more experienced, you can add in  work which involves really hard breathing when you do fartlek (speed play) training. However, in the early days, slower is best. If you're struggling with breathing, you probably  need to go a bit slower (nothing wrong with walking to one lamppost, jogging to the next, etc).

Also, gradually add in a little variety eg one day do less distance, but a little faster. The next, go noticeably slower than before, but aim to add on a few more minutes.

I know some people found certain music tracks used to help keep their breathing steady, but it never worked for me. I found the best solution was a running buddy, as we wanted to chat and that slowed us down and kept our breathing more steady!

One of the biggest dangers when you start running is doing too much too soon and getting injured, so don't over do it. Make sure you balance your running with some form of cross training such a swimming or cycling (even a spinning class - great to improve your breathing) - and always do some form of stretching. Lots of my running friends do Pilates or Body Balance once a week just to avoid injuries. 

Good luck x

Petra

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 07:01:08 AM »

Yes, I run! Good luck with the half. I did one a couple of months ago.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2019, 07:12:08 PM »

Bump

Shadyglade

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2019, 07:25:04 PM »

Nope,  I have been known to break into a trot sometimes.

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2019, 07:25:29 PM »

We have a New Member who was asking .......

Shadyglade

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2019, 10:50:29 PM »

What about ancient runner. Not seen her lately.

squeaker99

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2019, 01:12:27 PM »

There is a new cold water swimming club just started in my town. I feel I need to do something extreme
but cold water and spiders aren't my thing. I'm too boney.

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2019, 04:11:59 PM »

Jogging isn't good for the bones  :o

Brisk walking.  Enough not to pant when talking to a companion.  We have a thread about cycling too  ;)
Pages: 1 [2]