Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Any regular runners?  (Read 25178 times)

Lescoleen

Any regular runners?
« on: November 25, 2014, 02:38:16 PM »

Hi, are there any regular runners on here? I run on average around 4 times a week (though I intend to try the December Advent Streak and run every day from 1 - 25 December). I'm a regular parkrunner and am chasing the 100 black t-shirt and training for my first half-marathon starts in earnest in the new year.  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Any regular runners?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 02:47:21 PM »

:welcomemm:  we have an exercise/several thread/s on here  :D

babyjane

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 02:58:16 PM »

my goodness, well done you and all the best for your half marathon. No I don't run but I do walk when I can.  I used to be a cyclist but those days have gone due to health issues. But my little dog keeps me moving.

Good luck for Advent too

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 04:41:30 PM »

I have bounced  :bounce: a couple of threads  ;)

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 05:18:01 PM »

Why ?

;D

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 05:18:27 PM »

To remind us that we don't do enough  :-\ - couldn't find the one about cycling though  ::)

cherylks

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 06:00:53 PM »

Hi, yeah try and run three times a week.  About 2 years ago just felt so unfit and unhealthy decided needed to do something about it (aged 48 then).  Was beginning to stiffen up and felt like an old lady when getting off sofa!  So brought a treadmill.  Did some running when early 30s but didn't last but love walking so thought treadmill would be good.  Anyway, I now run either outside or on treadmill 3 times a week but never got past running a couple of miles.  Trying to break through to longer distances.  Have now got my husband into it too which helps. 

Briony

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 06:32:47 PM »

Envy you all being able to run. I used to run at least 40 miles a week for years, but since I have become peri menopausal, leg and back ache, combined with severe fatigue, have prevented me. I miss it so much. I now regret not enjoying it more when I could do it, so next time it's a wet Sunday morning and you'd rather have a lie in than do your planned run, go out, hit the paths and enjoy yourselves for me  ;) x

Lescoleen

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 08:30:08 PM »

Aw that's a shame Briony. I've had a couple of injuries that sidelined me for weeks at a time and know how frustrating it is when you just want to get out there.

cherylks

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 09:43:41 PM »

Briony, when I started trying to run two years ago I found I couldn't cos I felt so tired and achey.  So eventually decided to start with fast walking for a few weeks then tried running again.  Still had problems so went back to walking again and eventually speed walking.  Then tried running again just for a minute or two and then walking for 5 mins or so and gradually managed to build it up but it did take a long time.  Two years on I still have times when I can only actually run for about 5 mins before having to walk for a couple mins and then run again etc.  Have given up trying to do long distance!  40 miles a week though!!  You must have been so fit!!!  As for enjoying it???   :o  I do afterwards when you get that high feeling but not so much during it!! 

Briony

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 10:35:49 PM »

Really hoping I can get back to it Cherylks, and will use your method when I do  :) Just got to be patient and wait for the HRT to kick in! X

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 01:25:41 PM »

I did try running earlier in the year to add to my fitness regime and although I quite enjoyed it it didn't do my back any good so I had to stop :(

Micky

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 09:10:26 AM »

Unfortunately I have never been able to run any any great distance ( apart from a bus)...  I do however walk a couple of miles every day and also use my cross trainer for up hill and fast walking .....I have always been conscious also that running is not so kind to the bones and joints, with the pounding - but I am not sure there is any evidence of that ...

ancient runner

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 01:53:51 PM »

I do - started in late 40s, have regularly run 3 or 4 times a week, usually around 3 miles a time. But I haven't been able to run far for a few months - until I was put on iron tablets six weeks ago because I was found to be anaemic. I can run again and it's marvellous.  ;D

hanging.on.in.there

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 04:55:15 PM »

Hi yes I run 5 days a week minimum a week, for about 30 mins ( min 20 mins, max 60 mins).
Most often at the gym, sometimes street running, before I start work at 9.30.
Vary the gradient and speed at the gym,  and like uphill running ( meant to be especially good as you get older for your stride or something I forget !) But I look after my knees and they dictate the speed !

I'm mostly computer- bound for work, so I really need that exercise to keep sane and healthy.

Also like indoor rowing

Pages: [1] 2