Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: hello  (Read 6395 times)

yeahrightmorris

hello
« on: October 10, 2014, 08:35:26 PM »

Hi folks,

I'm Lisa, and I'm 37. I had a total hysterectomy ten years ago. I kept both ovaries but had to have one removed in 2008 due to a large cyst. The other also had a large cyst at the time but was too buried in adhesions and was going to be too tricky to remove without damaging anything else so it was left behind.

I'm type 2 diabetic and prone to kidney infections - recently had one, did a ten day course of antibiotics...but the "fever" remained. I've been having night sweats on and off for at least a year but that can be a diabetic thing. The odd hot flush I put down to panic attacks.

I went back to the docs...she was asking about my previous ops etc. I said that it felt almost like menopause (having had zoladex in the past I know what hot flushes feel like). I am also having palpitations on a night, decreased interest in sex etc.

The doc says iIhave no signs of kidney infection and in her opinion its much more likely to be menopause. So I have had the blood tests and find out next week.

It's all a bit overwhelming. I'm in a relatively new relationship after the breakdown of my marriage (my husband has since passed away). While my new boyfriend has known all along kids are not going to happen (I have children) I am very self conscious that he may see me as an old lady. He knows about the tests and has said it doesn't bother him and I know he means it. It's probably just my confidence is still a bit crap from my marriage.

Eeh I've wittered on. Anyhoo. Thanks for letting me join. My GP recommended iI did.

Xxx

So i

yeahrightmorris

Re: hello
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 08:37:19 PM »

Please excuse all the odd typos...I'm posting via my mobile today and clearly I'm not very good at it!  ;D

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 09:24:08 PM »

Hi there. Don't worry about typos I make them all the time & I'm not using my mobile.

I had hysterectomy at 36, ovaries left. They were removed 10 years later. Like you had bad adhesions  covering one, but they managed to get it out in the end. I'm now 58.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 09:26:59 PM »

Hi and welcome yeahrightmorris
You are in the right place to get support.
Many of us have had an early menopause so understand what you are going through.
You probably need HRT and hopefully when they diagnose you the doctors will advice you appropriately.
Do read up all the info under the headings to the left of this screen and get back to us with questions.  DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 01:43:17 PM »

:welcomemm:  you whitter on Girl - there's usually someone here who can listen.

Don't assume what the new man in your Life might/not be thinking!  Tell him your concerns, tell him that 'the change' can happen at any age and that sometimes you will be 'like an old Lady' but in reality, you ain't  ;).  There are other ways of having a 'sex life' without penetration but I found that in order to prevent my guilt I had to take part and eventually my body joined in too ..........

Your GP seems clued up so keeping a 'working relationship' is important. If necessary ask for a double or end-of-session appt so that you have time to 'chat'.  Keeping a mood/food diary can be useful too!

Browse round!

yeahrightmorris

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 01:43:09 PM »

Hi ladies,

Thanks for the responses and welcome.

Just rang for my results and was told by the receptionist all three tests were "normal" or "negative". Quite shocked tbh because I've only felt like this when I was having zoladex treatment (pseudomenopause).

I'm still going to attend my gp appointment on Weds but I guess this means it's not menopause. I think I'd probably prefer it if it was because at least we could treat it!

Looks like iI'm stuck with the hot flushes, tiredness and problems down below.

Thanksanyway for your help xxx

Limpy

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 04:05:43 PM »

Hi and Welcome

I would be a bit wary of results passed on by receptionists.
The last FSH test I had done was reported by the receptionist as being "normal".
When I saw my GP she sad the result was 108 and definitely post menopausal.
Her explanation - the Dr looking at test results on that particular day thought that 108 was entirely normal  -  for a post menopausal woman! He hadn't realised I didn't know at that time  ::)

Speak to your GP to clarify things.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 04:46:54 PM »

Blood tests are notoriously unreliable as well. If you are in the peri meno stage then the tests will come up differently from one day to the next. 
Do let us know how your appointment with the GP. 
BTW - have they tested thyroid function as well?   DG x

yeahrightmorris

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 06:43:29 AM »

Yes they tested for that too and that's normal too.

Thanks for all the help - I'll update again after I'veseen the GP tomorrow xx

yeahrightmorris

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 04:13:24 PM »

Hi guys.

Saw my GP tonight and she says the blood tests arent much use as you can still be menopausal and have a normal result. With my medical history and symptoms its fairly cut and dry. I start HRT patches tomorrow.

Feeling a bit crap tbh. But I'm very lucky really.

Limpy

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 04:24:40 PM »

Hi Yeahright,

Your GP sounds brilliant, it's good to hear.
Hope the HRT patches help and you start to fell better soon.

yeahrightmorris

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 05:02:36 PM »

Thanks Limpy - she was fab, I'm fairly new to the practice but I shall definitely stick with her.

I start a 1mg oestrogen patch (Ell-something) tomorrow, twice a week. She said I'll likely need a higher dose but wants to play it safe cos I'm a "little bit overweight". Understatement!

I have to give up smoking too. Boo.

Limpy

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 05:55:43 PM »

Come along Yeahright.

Ok, you've got to give up smoking but you may lose the hot flushes and regain an interest in sex.
So it might not work but then again it might.
Sounds like a no brainer to me - but then again I'me easily pleased  ;D

yeahrightmorris

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 06:49:00 PM »

Having my sex life back would be great. I'd only just got one after an eight year abstinence (my ex husband was poorly) and then bam - hot flushes, mood swings and what I can only describe as exhaustion hit me like a train. I only see my new partner once a week, it'd be nice to make the most of it! I just thought the honeymoon period was over but it all makes sense now. I hope this patch fixes that...

It's Elleste Solo MX 40 patches I've been prescribed. Now I just have to work out a place on my lower body to put it that isn't affected by horrendous sweating LOL!

I'm thinking outer hip...

Limpy

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 07:18:47 PM »

Outer hip would work.
I often go for lower abdomen because it's easier to see for putting on.
Oh, and removing, to make sure all of old patch is fully off.
Buttocks are ok for putting patches on but they aren't easy to see.
Pages: [1] 2