Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: My Dear Gran  (Read 9827 times)

Machair

My Dear Gran
« on: September 11, 2014, 01:39:29 PM »

My Gran Emily lived to be 102. She had her entire life to live all over again after the age many of us are now. She came from a large family of 14 and she had very little in life but was happy.

I don't know when she hit meno but I do know my Great Gran had her last child at 49.

Emily ate trifles and cakes every day and she was far from slim, in fact she looked like those knitted dolls that you put over toilet rolls years ago. She told tales of flooding settees and the pangs of childbirth!

Still she always made me smile and I wish I could bring her back just for a day to ask her about her menopause. I hope we all have 50 more years to enjoy like she did - wouldn't that be amazing?

Milamam

Re: My Dear Gran
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 01:57:43 PM »

That's trully amazing, Machair! I wish I knew the secret....

You know that longevity is inherited, so you may as well live up to a similar age!

Milamam xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 02:06:19 PM »

:o

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 02:09:30 PM »

That's lovely.

If you can live to that age and still have all your faculties then great but otherwise it's not for me.
My mother is 92 and my aunt is 90 and neither of them have any great quality of life now.
Only problem is you don't get to choose.

Women of that generation are tough though.

Honeyb
x

Machair

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 02:12:24 PM »

Yes I couldn't agree more. My mum is 82 and a cabbage. She suffered a severe stroke at the age of 75 and is not living - just existing. My Gran though was in good health until she died at 102.

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 02:17:31 PM »

That's the way to do it if you can.

My mother in law died in her late 80s. She went to bed one night and that was it. She was living a full active life up until that point.

Honeyb
x

Milamam

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 02:27:59 PM »

My grandma-in-law is 95 now and lives by herself in a village, maintaining a full blown garden by herself, including veggs. When I asked her what meds she is on, she told me "occasionally valeriana, and ginko when my head spins off .... :o

His son, my father-in-law, takes pills by the handful, for various conditions..and doesn't look healthy at all. Can barely walk , not further that the grocery across the street, heart problems, etc. So one never knows.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 04:37:55 PM »

My Gran walked 4 miles to school and back taking a slab of bread with some'it on i.e. jam, or dripping
Was in Service from aged 14 - blacking the grate at 5.00 a.m.
Brung up tuff they was  ;) - she died of a stroke aged 82

My other Gran was the same.  In Service.  Raised 4 children.  Not as in such good health as above.  Died aged 80-something - her daughter is now nearly 88

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 05:14:48 PM »

My gran died at 82. She died from bowel cancer, but was still arguing politics with my brother a couple of days before she passed. Sharp as a button til the end.

My other gran was gone before I was born. Not sure what age she was. She had my father quite late in life.

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 07:06:45 PM »

I never knew either of my grans. One had 13 children all who survived to adulthood.
The other died of septacemia after child birth.

I did have a grandpa. I hated him as he was horrible. Cold and hard and grumpy.

Honeyb
x

Ju Ju

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 06:02:45 AM »

Many members of my dad's family lived to a great age. His cousin died last year aged 102. I visited her a lot. She opted to go into a home at age 90, as she started to struggle physically, but her mind was as sharp as ever until a couple of years before she died.  She only had glasses for long distance, not for reading. I think longevity is down to a mixture of genetics and life experience. My mum's parents and siblings died relatively young. She is 87, but was the only one has had a stable marriage and financial situation. She did have a stroke 20 years ago and suffers poor health now, but she has my dad.

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 09:30:09 PM »

My nan died when she was forty-two from TB. She had eight children and my mum was the second youngest and aged nine. My other nan (dad's mum) died at the age of eighty when I was six. I can remember her as a very strict and cross woman. She didn't get on with my mum as she didn't marry my dad until he was thirty-four and my nan really thought that she'd have him with her for life I think. My mum could never do anything right.

Taz x