Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Blister - keeps on growing  (Read 25995 times)

Limpy

Blister - keeps on growing
« on: August 23, 2014, 03:09:31 PM »

I don't know what to do.

I noticed an insect bite on the inner ankle the other day, this developed into a blister.
Initially it was the size of a pea, now it's like half a grape.
It's itchy and stings a bit, the foot below is sore to touch.
I am taking antihistamines and keeping the foot up when possible, tried to get TCP as recommended by Honeyb but no success.

Should I put a dressing on it, I'me worried about knocking it.
Also, do I leave it, or **** it and let it drain?

Rowan

Re: Blister - keeps on growing
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 03:13:18 PM »

I would **** it let it drain and dry it  and then use HB's Dettol cream Limpy.

Limpy

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 03:15:05 PM »

Thanks SL

Rowan

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 03:16:33 PM »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 03:36:52 PM »

You need to ring the A&E or your GP.  A spreading blister particularly if there is any redness or spreading of apparent infection may require ABs!  Some insects can cause Lyme's disease so if you develop flu like symptoms you need to go to A&E AT ONCE!

ellie

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 03:49:16 PM »

I agree, take a trip to A&E.......today....

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 03:52:29 PM »

If you use a needle to pop the blister make sure you run the needle through a hot match first. Wipe with a clean tissue before use.  Make sure that the surrounding skin around the 'wound' is cleansed before popping. 

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 04:20:42 PM »

It's not really a blister though - it's a reaction to something that's been injected into the skin. NHS advice here http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Bites-insect/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

Taz x  :hug:

Limpy

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 04:31:07 PM »

Thanks Ladies
Still dithering as to what to do.
Feel ok, no flu symptoms so will wait till tomorrow before piercing, probably.....
Why can't I just decide what to  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 04:35:07 PM »

Limpy - important information from the link I posted above

"Blisters
If you develop blisters after being bitten by an insect, don't burst them because they may become infected.
Blisters don't usually cause pain unless they rupture (burst) and expose the new skin underneath. If possible, use an adhesive bandage (plaster) to protect the blistered area.
Infected bites
See your GP if the bite or sting fills with pus and feels tender to touch, your glands swell up and you feel unwell with flu-like symptoms.
Your GP may prescribe oral antibiotics (medicines to treat infections caused by bacteria). You'll need to take these as instructed, usually two to four times a day for seven days"

Dont burst it!!

Taz x

Limpy

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 05:54:08 PM »

Taz that really does help.

I have had a similar blister before, it burst. I think that had a lot to do with the fact I was doing regular horse riding and the blister was on the inner calf, exactly where the leg met the horse. It was difficult keeping the area sterile / clean, especially as I was also doing quite a lot of swimming at the time.

I will leave the blister as it is, will probably cover it at night, difficult to avoid biffing it in bed. Happily I have a lot of dressings left over from when I had a mole removed from my back earlier this year, also antibiotic ointment. The latter being exactly the same as prescribed when the earlier blister burst. So if the current one starts leaking I  hopefully can cope till after the Bank Holiday, when Drs Nurses etc should be easier to get at.

Thank you.

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 07:54:51 PM »

I think the difference between your two blisters is that one was caused by friction and the other caused by a reaction to a bite. With the friction one there will just be ordinary fluid but with an insect bite there could be more than just fluid so bursting it could lead to infection? Not sure. Hopefully it will just go down on it's own!

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 08:00:47 PM »

I had much the same thing a couple of years ago. It was a horse fly bite, well actually two. It was on my arm and according to my daughter was so big it cast it's own shadow.
I did burst mine but it kept filling up again. It was not like any blister I have ever had. The .....Sorry...contents of the blister was dirty brown fluid. It did feel better when I popped it but you would be better to check this out.

One other thought is to bathe it in warm salty water to see if it will go on its own. Maybe fill a basin and soak your foot.
I maybe completely wrong but I think this kind of bite is better out than in. Can you call NHS24 for advice.

Honeyb
x

Limpy

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 09:34:48 AM »

I think the difference between your two blisters is that one was caused by friction and the other caused by a reaction to a bite.

Sorry Taz I wasn't being very clear.
The first blister was an insect one as well. The difference was that it was getting physical aggravation which caused it to burst.

The blister is sill there, I put a very loose dressing on it last night which protected it in bed, we'll see what happens today

I maybe completely wrong but I think this kind of bite is better out than in. Can you call NHS24 for advice.

Honeyb I had a similar blister a couple of years ago, the advice from medics was to leave it alone.
After it burst it was just like an open wound, really difficult to protect. Assuming it doesn't get infected I will leave it till Tuesday when Drs are open. It is so tempting to **** it though   ::)

Limpy

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 02:21:01 PM »

Honeyb - You were SO RIGHT I should have ****ed it.

This morning it had grown to 1.3" diameter, so went to Drs who had discussion with nurse who then ****ed it. Feels a lot better, seeing nurse tomorrow to get it dressed and checked.

Don't think I'me going to be able to go swimming for a while, lots of raw skin covered by a very thin layer of skin.   :-\
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5