Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: amitriptyline and weight gain  (Read 28448 times)

Hattie

Re: amitriptyline and weight gain
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2014, 11:59:08 AM »

Hi moonbeam

I find nortriptyline is less sedating especially in the mornings.

Is there any other route besides the physio that you are having to find the cause of your headaches and neck pain ? as these drugs are just masking the symptoms.

I have gained weight - probably through the drug and lack of exercise - i now think of 12 and 14 as just numbers - put a lot of clothes away out of sight and try to wear something that makes me feel good as i am now.

moonbeam121167

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2014, 06:42:54 PM »

Hattie  I have said to the GP why do I get these headaches but they just give me pills,  I have physio once a month which so far dont help, don't know what else to do xxx

Limpy

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2014, 06:59:31 PM »

Sorry Moonbeam - Drs aren't very good at sorting out headaches.
For me, regular gentle exercise helps to lessen them.

moonbeam121167

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2014, 07:31:41 PM »

Since I have reduced the Amitrypltine I am not so tried or like a zombie but I feel miserable and my headaches are back and my IBS has flared up, the 20mg dose was great for my IBS and headaches but the side effect were not nice, off to doctors tomorrow, thought to ask about Nortirptyline , so anyone have any thoughts on this medication or some thing I can ask about  :) sorry to be a pain but I feel the GP thinks I am a bit of hypochondriac, dont like the sound of Gabapentin just dont know what to do, others said I should of given the 20mg dose a bit longer but I couldnt 3 weeks were enough , I have to drive and Thursday I go back to work, I felt totally out of it x

Limpy

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2014, 07:38:47 PM »

3 weeks should have been enough to improve the headaches, don't feel bad about trying something else, Nortriptyline may work for you. Or the GP may suggest something else completely.

Don't get fobbed off, you go out to work, and need help.

moonbeam121167

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2014, 09:02:02 PM »

My headaches on the 20mg was good, none whats so ever but the zombie feeling and tiredness was too much to bear hence the reduction to 10mg , I will have too see what the doctor has to say wont I, thanks xx

moonbeam121167

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2014, 09:14:35 AM »

Hi been to doctors and he has said to try 1 and a half of the Amitriptyline and then see how it goes and if that doesnt work I got to try Gabapentin but he said they wont help with the IBS and if they dont help I maybe able to try Nortiriptyline but he wont give it to me now as it is too expensive and they have been told not to prescribe it !!!!!! so lets see what happens   ??? ???

Limpy

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2014, 09:33:15 AM »

Hope it works

moonbeam121167

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2014, 10:26:09 AM »

Limpy

lets hope, as it worked great on my IBS and headaches but the zombie feeling was horrible, I took the half this morning and I will take the whole one tonight and touch wood hope it will work :)

moonbeam121167

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2014, 06:11:22 PM »

I have decided to stop (slowly) the Amitriptyline, as I have been putting on weight with it and its making me so unhappy and this fogginess is horrible, before I started taking them I bought a new pair of jeans (size 12) but today went to put them on and  I couldn't and it made me cry. I finally got down to the size 12 after my op and the feeling was great but now  >:(.  I have a script for Gabapentin but have heard that can led to weight gain so I just dont know what to do, anyone on here can help please, my headaches and neck ache can be bad but what was good about the Amitriptyline was it helped my IBS, GP told me if the AM cant help try the GAB but he said it wont help my IBS  he also said Nortriptyline is too expensive but it could be the answer , I am so confused, I know people say if they help the pain and IBS why worry about the weight gain but it bothers me, it can consumes me , its all I think about the weight gain.
 ??? :'(

Maryjane

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2014, 06:44:04 PM »

I am on ami and have not put weight on, are you sure you are just not eating more and not exercising enough. Gabapentin will also put weight on, and be warned can be hell to get off of. Noratriptyline I am sure is not expensive, you can look up how much all these pills cost, ami is the cheapest, I then thought Nora, then it goes up and pregagablin is the most expensive.

It could also be because it has stopped your IBS you are getting more nourishment from your food.

I take it for nerve pain, but it has also stopped my IBS and constant back ground headaches. Try the Gaba but I know a lot of people struggle with the side effects of it, they all make you drowsy for the first few weeks but I have no side effects at all now.

Gaba is used for people who have seizures so works very differently on the brain, my GP offered me all of the different types and I decided on Ami.

cherylks

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2014, 07:03:10 PM »

I guess you may have to decide which is worse, the weight gain or the pain?  I was originally given Gabapentin for nerve pain but it just knocked me out, i could barely get out of bed but then I know others get on really well with it. Our bodies definitely seem to vary on how they react to different tablets.  But seriously consider if you have to choose between the weight or the pain which can you cope with better?  x

Limpy

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2014, 07:18:14 PM »

None of this is easy.
My initial dose of gabapentin cured the pain, but did put on weight and made me groggy.
Messed around with dosage and now have a maintenance dose which works mostly but still need to top with other things now and again for migraine pain, weight mostly okish.

moonbeam121167

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2014, 08:01:02 PM »

MaryJane,  I have always careful in what I eat cause of my stomach, I do have moments but mostly I careful, exercise,  well  I have been trying but with the zombie like feeling I have been having with the AM it has been hard thats why I went down to 10mg but the headaches and IBS were coming back hence I was told to creep back up, I  did ask for Nort but he wouldnt give it to me, cause of the cost, I know the pain should be the first thing I should think about but my weight is a big thing for me and there has to be something out there that can help without the zombie foggy head and weight gain but  WHAT!!

Limpy

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2014, 08:23:30 PM »

Moonbeam did you try the one and a half tabs of amitriptyline?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5