Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Which B vitamin prevents mosie bites  (Read 14862 times)

peri

Re: Which B vitamin prevents mosie bites
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 07:57:36 PM »

I've just arrived home from Kefalonia, the mozzies have feasted on me (studpidly thought I could manage without repellant as was only there for a week) and I take a good multi b vit supplement! Some other family members got bit too but no-one as much as me  :(

Linsey44

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 08:48:45 PM »

Hi CG when i went to caribbean we all used patches called dont bite me by a company called diva even my daughter who,was 4 at the time. Very effective the contain the necessary b vit

If you do get bitten i used a zapper that you can buy out of boots that encoutprages your body to release its own histamine to reduce itch and swelling.  Loads of people round the pool were fascinated in it and kept asking to try it. Really good

Joyce

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 09:42:11 PM »

Hi thanks for ideas ladies. I've bought plug in for room, jungle formula tropical strength gel & spray.  Plus I've got skin so soft.  I've also bought a special stuff to put on if either of us gets nibbled.  First time in Caribbean I was breakfast, lunch, dinner & snacks for mosquito population. Hubby never got one bite. In Bahamas 2 years ago, I was bitten about 6 times, but hubby was on the menu instead.

Can't find the zapper thingy though Linsey.

Nothing to do HB. Mainly stay away from places where mosies like to congregate. That's why nurse suggested Vit B to prepare ourselves.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 09:44:06 PM by cubagirl »

Linsey44

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 09:51:54 PM »

Hi CG called boots bite and sting relief click it. Just bought 2 today they were doing a deal on them.

When you use them you feel a tiny electric shock sensation, but really good. Who wants to be popping anti histamine tabs which then limit the quantity of rum punch you can have. ;D

ariadne

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 10:02:51 PM »

Brerwers yeast. I've taken them in the past along with other preventative measures. Its supposed to make your skin given off a scent that is unpleasant to mosquitos. They're cheap enough and can't do you any harm so worth a try.

Ariadne xx

« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 12:18:00 PM by ariadne »

Joyce

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2014, 07:39:02 AM »

Thanks Linsey, out of stock on website, but will keep checking.  Will look in our wee local store too as, but if not big boots next time I'm in town.

Linsey44

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2014, 08:13:02 AM »

Let me know if you cant get one, i will send you one from our local store if you like.

Joyce

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2014, 10:44:49 AM »

AW thanks Linsey. Plenty of time to find it, but will keep your offer in mind.  :thankyou:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2014, 02:11:50 PM »

VitB 12 must be used carefully, if one is taking certain Anti-depressant medication they can be dangerous.

Those 'zapper' things apparently work well.  Try Lakeland or one of the trekking/out-door companies ?

Covering up particularly at night with complete mozzie nets is important.  DEET can be the best and for short-term use is OK.

Joyce

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2014, 02:34:18 PM »

After lots of researching, it's B1 that I'm supposed to take. Not happy about Deet, but will take it anyway, better than being bitten for sure. But will only use if Skin so Soft doesn't work. 

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2014, 04:30:48 PM »

DEET I think has to be built up  :-\ ……… and is known to work!  That's what it's designed for and short-term use should do what it says on the tin by giving you protection and the chemical should not be a long-term problem  ;)

What foods have B1 in - not chocolate by any chance?  ;)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2014, 05:18:58 PM »

There is a DEET free natural alternative called Incognito anti mosquito.  I got mine in Waitrose but I think you can Amazon it.
I tried the DEET repellent it really irritated my skin so I had to quickly shower it off !!
DG x

Joyce

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2014, 10:21:15 PM »

CLKD I wish!  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2014, 04:40:25 PM »

Lots of minerals in chocolate, just wondered that's all  ;D

Limpy

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2014, 06:11:06 PM »

Chocolate could always be used, to hit the little monsters over the head, honest   ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4