Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Best non-running/walking weight bearing exercise?  (Read 14880 times)

oldsheep

Best non-running/walking weight bearing exercise?
« on: May 13, 2014, 06:11:33 PM »

I have very long standing CFS and fibromyalgia and some weird neuro symptoms (that go away in sunny, windless weather  :o). I swim a lot in the local outdoor 50m lido as it's pain free - until I get cramp!
My bone density wasn't great a few years ago when they did a scan. My mum died from complications of osteoporosis fractures.

I can't run - my ankles "lock" and it hurts too much to jog even slowly. I have really sore feet (even with orthotics) so can't walk far. I get dizzy if I walk for more than 30 mins.
I used to play tennis, but that's now too painful. I cycle around locally for transport, which is also not painful but doesn't help bones.

What would be the best weight bearing exercise please? I'm wondering if I should join the wretched gym for their resistance machines, but I hate gyms. Thanks for any ideas. x

Taz2

Re: Best non-running/walking weight bearing exercise?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 06:14:16 PM »

Walking is one of the best really oldsheep - twenty minutes each day would probably be enough if you find more than that a pain (literally). I too have fibro and have never managed to get further than two miles at a time which takes me 30 minutes so I know the frustration you are going through!!

Taz x

oldsheep

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 06:22:47 PM »

Thanks Taz. I live near a lovely park so round it I will go...so boring and slow compared to cycling though.
I just thought - it's a 20 min walk to the lido. I could do that sometimes.
Must Have More Discipline  ;D
Trouble is, I love swimming so save all my energy for that. Rest all day, then swim 2kms as it makes me feel human.
Everyone my age is at work in London, so whatever I do is going to be on my own.

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 06:41:21 PM »

I really love swimming as its a form of exercise that does not hurt my knees.  I have arthritis which complains if I walk up anything resembling a hill. Going up is ok, coming down is a challenge as my knees give way. Not very elegant.
My local pool is gross so unless I choose the sea  ::)

I just try and walk on the flat as much as I can. Gardening is good if you can. Even energetic housework. As long as it's something that gets you active and raises the heart beat then it's good for you.

Honeyb
x

KatieLiz

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 06:52:15 PM »

I have recently starting swimming and find doing lengths a great exercise.  Also perhaps you could do some sort of stretching exercise like yoga/pilates?  Or maybe get some light hand weights and do some exercise at home.  As I've got older I don't believe in too much strenuous exercise but keeping your body and joints moving to some extent is helpful.  I think if you do something you enjoy then you are more likely to stick with it.

oldsheep

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 07:52:56 PM »

Energetic housework!  ;D
Yes, I love my swimming. Especially outdoors. Pool is heated and I quite often have a lane to myself, which is brilliant. All my stress disappears.

I'll try walking. The park is hilly and if it stops raining I can walk on the grass. We have a communal garden, so gardening isn't really possible. I do potter around, jumping on slugs. Discovered that they like the local micro brewery's out of date beer!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 08:50:01 PM »

If you can afford it, how about an hour with a personal trainer for advice? 

There are balls which I see pregnant ladies using ……….  :-\ when we were kids we had orange bouncy things too but I would probably fall off one these days  ;D …. gentle, brisk walking is generally overall good exercise.  Horse riding?  Skipping would be too painful as would hoola hooping or roller skating  ::) ……..

Hoovering ………..  :-X  ;)

Linsey44

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 08:55:21 PM »

don't know if you subscribe to any tv packages or not, but if so is there nothing on any of the fitness channels that you could maybe record and do bits of at a time.  some time ago I recorded one - think it was called walking for fitness and you could do either a low intensity or a slightly higher intensity option.

or maybe a fitness dvd to do at home?

The main thing is to enjoy what you do.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 09:18:53 PM »

Do you have friends to walk with?

Your dizziness is a concern - after 30 mins. …………. do you mean light-headed feelings perhaps due to dehydration?  Again a personal trainer will give advice or maybe a dietician?

Joyce

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 10:17:16 PM »

Would aquarobics be an option oldsheep?

oldsheep

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 08:56:16 AM »

Hi, I think the light headedness is my variable blood pressure. I can't stand for long either. Part of my CFS/fibro. I drink (whether walking or swimming) that diet lucozade sport stuff, 50 cals per bottle. I find it helps with cramp.
I did nordic walking class for an hour yesterday. It's very gentle, nice people and ends up at the park coffee shop  ;D Only once a week though.

I can't do exercises at home as we are in a top flat in an old building, so downstairs would think the world was ending! I'm too embarrassed to start hopping about with weights in the communal garden too.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 03:37:33 PM »

Do you drink other liquids?  Cramp is usually lack of salt in the diet  ;) ……….

oldsheep

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 07:18:21 PM »

think my cramp is my CFS/fibro as it's pretty common I believe. Happens some days and not others.
Today was fine and brilliant with the sun out. Everyone was smiling at each other at the pool -and talking to each other (in London! gasp).
this is it
http://charltonchampion.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/20140324-074352.jpg

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 07:38:53 PM »

A proper lido! we used to go to one in Dunstable ………. now concreted over  ::)

I've walked miles between kitchen sink and dishwasher; kitchen sink, dishwasher: down the garden to the compost and back; weeds to the bin, up and down a ladder with pruners in hand  ::)

oldsheep

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 01:04:20 PM »

Travelling tomorrow and all the swimming has caused nasty pain when I pee. I used a barrier cream today and had a shorter swim than usual, but ouch, burning. Going to see the trainee duty GP later on as I'm in France for the long weekend (no swimming there and forecast is cool and rainy!)
I can't stop my swimming so any ideas on how to stop irritation? The cream I have been using is a barrier cream. I could try a healing cream?
Pages: [1] 2 3