Menopause Discussion > Personal Experiences

Struggling to Cope with Big Events.

(1/2) > >>

Kathleen:
Hello ladies.
I am still fiddling with my Evoral patch and Utrogestan tablet, trying to get the balance right and not really succeeding atm! My worry is that I have a big event coming up in July and I'm so worried that I won't feel well enough to attend, or that I feel okay for some of the time but then have to cope with a funny turn in public.  Even thinking about it makes me feel wobbly and what is extra annoying is that before the menopause I managed these events just fine. Any advice ladies? How do you cope when there is a deadline looming and your hormones are making you feel insecure?
As ever thank you for reading and wishing you all well. 

K.

CLKD:
 Been there, sold the T-shirts  ::) - eventually my GP gave me Valium for short-term use.  I took 5mg at night before an event and depending on how important it was, another 5mg in the morning.  It made me feel woozy but that was far better than that awful anxiety or possible anxiety attack which would spoil the event. 

In 2002 he gave me Beta-blockas because my brain didn't like Valium any more  :-\ ……… which keeps me going on a daily basis - 40mg at night before bed.  If I have something really important: or if the anxiety takes over, I have an emergency drug to take.  The GPs don't like prescribing it but mine is aware that I self medicate as necessary, not on a 'just incase' basis.  It really does take away that awful lurch that I get in my gut which makes me dizzy, nauseous, shaky, deeply afraid ……..

Have a word with a Pharamacist to see what is on the market and then have a chat with your GP!  I find that if I have the meds. to hand, I rarely need to take 1!

coolatlast:
CLKD,  sometimes you find that 'just having it to hand' can make you feel calmer.

How do the beta blockers work?   Do you still feel anxious, only it doesn't show as much? (no shakiness).

Hurdity:
Hi Kathleen

Can you explain in more detail - what you are taking and how much? What problems are you experiencing?

I know exactly what you mean about big events - and I have carefully worked out my (long cycle) Utrogestan so that I am neither taking progesterone nor bleeding when I am away ( which I am doing a lot this year). I got the calendar out (in Jan/February!) and changed the length of my cycle so it's sometimes 6 weeks, sometimes 7,  or even 8. I've marked on the calendar so I don't forget. Now I'm 61 I can't be doing with bleeding while I'm away or risking a migraine!

If you are on a 4 week cycle, depending on your utrogestan and oestrogen dose and how you take the Utro - maybe you can vary it a bit leading up to July - for example by extending your cycle if you have one - by a few days each month (if necessary) until you are free from likely problems during the big event.

Do you see what I mean? A few days here or there for the sake of an important event won't do you any harm long term.

Hurdity x

Edit - sorry Kathleen have just seen your other post and realise I've replied re the Utrogestan - the above reply is probably not useful in the circumstances if you are not having a cycle so hope it settles down. Maybe think of having a cycle temporarily so you don't have problems maybe?

CLKD:
Beta-blockas calm the heart rate and helps me long-term.  Stops that awful morning dread we've been talking about … but when anxiety strikes, it floors me, literally - I can't function, eat/drink/talk/sleep/sleep …….. it starts around my belly button and I get nauseous almost immediately, within 10 mins. I want to die  :-\ - I have learnt not to see if it will ease but to take the emergency tablet which helps within about 30 mins..  Knowing it works means I can sit the sensations out …………

The more important an event is to me, the more likely I am to have intense anxiety for weeks/days before and on the day …….. sods Law I'll be OK but I can't risk it.  A lot of anxiety for me is having been told as a child "If you don't go you will let people down", "If you are ill and off school, you can't go out tonight/tomorrow", "If you are ill you'll spoil it for everyone else" and those ingrained statements and responses wont' go away  :'(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version