Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: 'It's your hormones' - hello from a Newbie!  (Read 5496 times)

jorainbow

'It's your hormones' - hello from a Newbie!
« on: May 08, 2014, 07:14:40 PM »

If I hear this one more time  >:( ...... I am hoping I can get a little clarity and advice on a delicate issue that I am not sure is the start of the menopause.  I am 45 and have always had problem periods - mid-cycle pain, polycystic ovaries which led to years with no periods and now for the last 6 years or so I have regular periods which are now either light for a day or two or a full day of cramps and heavy bleeding.  I can never tell which though funnily the months I have swollen breasts and bloating are the heavy ones.  Anyway I digress.  The problem I am now experiencing is a very odd one.  Along with the disappearance of my mojo completely (pass me a brew instead!) I am getting what I can only describe as sore bits which last about a day and seem to directly relate to either when ovulating or just before my period.  I also had some spotting yesterday (I am due on next week) and hey presto!  Gone this morning along with the bleeding.  My GP says its my hormones, or my age, but doesn't suggest anything and wont look at HRT as my periods are regular.  Things do sometimes feel a bit dry as well. Is this a symptom???!!!

Maryjane

Re: 'It's your hormones' - hello from a Newbie!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 07:38:28 PM »

Hi there. I am not one of the experts on here, but it sounds to me that you have start of vaginal atrophy, get thee some vagifem a.s.a.p.

jorainbow

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 07:56:46 PM »

Ooh thats sounds grim - why cant they have more pleasant names for women's things!  Ill do some reading round this - thanks!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 09:40:12 PM »

We have lots of threads on VA! SuziQ and my own for starters ……….. (search button top left)

……….   sorry it is your age as well as hormones  ::) - have a read of the menus left of screen and browse the threads …….. we have a funny room too  ;)

:welcomemm:

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 04:27:41 PM »

Hi jorainbow

:welcomemm: from me too!

Re the name - vaginal atrophy - it does sound horrible doesn't it?

Interestingly this was discussed at the International Menopause Society's recent conference! You will find a summary of the papers in the news section.
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/newsitem.php?recordID=153/Second-day-highlights-from-the-International-Menopause-Society-conference-2014

Scroll down a bit and you will find the article. This is what they propose changing it to:

Genitourinary Syndrome of Menopause (GSM). ;D what a mouthful!!!

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 06:11:49 PM »

How awful!  Typical medical profession, give it a long name so that Med Secretarys have to make up a short form  ;D when taking dictation  ::)

VA is more appropriate  :-\

jorainbow

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 06:37:45 PM »

Thanks for for the link (and smiles!) Whichever names, and both are grim, I am just glad I'm not going bonkers. Though I guess that'll come along shortly  ;) I read on another thread a description of the feeling starting about midday, getting worse then gone by morning. I actually said out loud "that's me"! Am going to see a lady go at the practice asap to discuss armed with my info x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 07:56:40 PM »

Take a list and ask her to go through it with you so that you can prioritise  ;)

We have several threads on 'doing stupid things' and 'forgetting'  ;)