Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Dexa scan  (Read 2509 times)

sue23

Dexa scan
« on: April 08, 2014, 10:04:59 PM »

HI  has anyone been for a Dexa scan,  private and how much did it cost thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Dexa scan
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 07:59:55 PM »

I had scans of my heels for years but I believe that a Dexa should be available on the NHS?  If this is for osteoporosis a pelvic scan is the best. You could look at the Osteoporosis website for advice too  ;)

tiger74

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 08:23:48 PM »

I agree with CKLD, a DEXA scan should be available on the NHS if there is a concern about your bone density.  I have had several done over the years, private and NHS, always at the same hospital on the same equipment.  Currently on a programme of 2-yearly DEXA scans.

If you want to go down the private route... I don't know whether many private hospitals have DEXA scanners but they should be able to quote for a private scan and relevant reporting as they may have a contract to have these done privately at the local NHS hospital.  It's easy to ring around private providers and get quotes - I did this for some off-label cancer treatment that I was considering a couple of years ago.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 09:50:36 PM by tiger74 »

Sarah2

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 09:15:12 PM »

Yes, I've had 4, over around 10 years. they X-ray your spine and thigh/hip- you lie flat on the bed, fully clothed ( or with a gown sometimes.)

I found the cost varied depending where you have them.  There is always an increase each year ( inflation) and it's now coming up to 2 years since my last one.

It' s important to try and have them done at the same place on the same machine so that you don't get a variation due to equipment. The last 3 I've had were all the same place in London and cost me around £160.

It might be cheaper outside of London.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 07:10:19 AM by Sarah2 »

valiantkate

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 06:02:10 PM »

Not sure how much they cost as I had mine on the wonderful NHS. Had a scan of my spine/ pelvis. It was great- quiet-and very speedy, didnt need to get undressd. It was a little like having a photocopier going to and fro over your pelvis. I am a huge chicken and found it no problem. Please do not worry. As for cost, sorry no idea- wouldnt your GP refer you for one. x