Menopause Discussion > Other Health Discussion

BMI v waist size

(1/2) > >>

Joyce:
For years they've told us a normal BMI is around 25. Ok, mine is a bit higher, but not excessively so. GP was ok with it, but said weight loss would be beneficial. This I understand.

Now they want to to base what is healthy on our waist size, 31.5 inches for us ladies. Now due to 2 x C section & other ops on my tummy area, muscles are all to pot & I have a very noticeable incisional hernia which makes my total waist size much larger.  In order to fulfil the waist size criteria I would have to lose a ridiculous amount of weight. Yes exercise helps. Even when I was much thinner & younger, before babies, I was always thick waisted. They showed them measuring people in the street. Some were over the measurement, but looked perfectly slim.  Now this might be true for Apple shapes, but Pears can be very slim waisted.  If my GP gets out a measuring tape, he/she may well get it wrapped around their necks!

CLKD:
Your waist measurement is loss of muscle!  shouldn't affect the BMI which I believe criteria has altered on recently ........ I go by whether my jeans fit/not  ;)

My BP is slightly raised but I 'do' everything I ought to, perhaps I should exercise a bit more but  :bed: - is that exercise  :-X

Rowan:
I had a tiny waist until after my hysterectomy, even though my surgeon cut very low, eventually I began to put on weight below the belly button and my waist has increased :'(

The one things that made it disappear and I got my waist back a few years ago was the Atkins diet, but I could not keep it up.

Before menopause my waist was 23- 25, after menopause we do lose the definition, so using the waist measurement for older women is not ideal.

Eating sensibly, watching portions and getting exercise is the sensible way what ever your body shape.

ariadne:
I am reasonably slim for my height - 10 stones 5lbs and 5 feet 6 inches tall but I have a fat waist and tummy which refuses to budge. Its my most hated part of my body  :(

Ariadne xx

littleminnie:
My BMI is only 22 but still have a tummy.  :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version