Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Trouble with Patches  (Read 5265 times)

Anjia

Trouble with Patches
« on: March 04, 2014, 09:39:03 AM »

I started using a patch three weeks ago after being on a pill for a year its estrogen only.I have to change it twice a week and have noticed that the night before I am due to change I have flushes and nightsweats also since yesterday my breasts are getting sore whats going on ?

Hurdity

Re: Trouble with Patches
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 08:17:31 PM »

It will take your body a while to adjust to the very different mode of delivery of patches compared to pills, and also it depends on the type and dosage of each. What make and dose of pill were you on and what is the patch? I preusme if it's oestrogen only you have a Mirena or do not have a womb, so no need of progestogen to progect the womb lining?

Hurdity x

Anjia

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 09:05:12 PM »

Hi Hurdity I had a hysterectomy fourteen months ago so since then I was on ellesste 1mg it stopped working so the gp put me on 40 patch three weeks ago I hope to get used to it.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 12:59:26 PM »

I remember now. Sorry I can't remember how old you are? However I would suggest that eventually, when the side effects (eg boobs) have settled, you may well need a higher dose than this - but good to start off low and increase gradually. The standard post-menopausal dose for women past the avergae age of menopause is 50 mcg, but many women in their 50's have higher than this eg 75 mcg or 100 mcg - so there will be a dose that's right for you that stops the sweats and flushes. I presume it is sticking properly and not coming loose say on the third day? When I remember and after shower or bath I do the warm palm thing over mine to re-stick it if it's come unstuck a bit, and I'm not due to change it yet.

Hurdity x

Anjia

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 03:10:18 PM »

Thanks Hurdity I think I will get the higher dose when the last one is used Im sure there not loose I will keep looking just in case .Im finding things a bit of a struggle at the moment and to be honest  for some reason  I think I need a lower dose because Im 54 don't no why!

Rose

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 10:35:26 AM »

I actually changed to oestrogen patches after taking tablets for ages and I feel so much better. My libido is coming back but sadly no one to try that out with  :'( I am always checking to see if the patch is still stuck as it's a weekly patch and what with showers, hot weather etc it could come off.I have been cutting the vagifem in half as I suffer from terrible insomnia with the full dose that we can still get in Oz. It has helped the VA but not to the same extent that the full dosage does. I honestly don't know what to do about that. I need to get my degree to be able to have some independence and if I'm not sleeping then no study gets done. I know someone mentioned in another post about oestrogen and sleep so I am just adding to that; for me increased oestrogen = sleeplessness.

BreadFruit

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 10:47:38 PM »

@Rose
What you need are some toys to help you with your libido. I can send you some links if you message me privately.
Since my husbands prostate cancer  :(  5 years ago I have become and "expert" in toys and self help.  ;D