Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Another newbie  (Read 4350 times)

Lolly58

Another newbie
« on: February 12, 2014, 06:04:38 PM »

Hi all. I'm a 56 yr old going through hell at the moment with my menopause. I am currently signed off my work as a mental health nurse because of work related stress and depression.  My GP has started me on HRT tablets after no relief from a patch. I am also on anti depressant. Never in my life have I felt like this. I've always coped well with life's problems and I've had many. My sweats happen so suddenly and drench me from head to foot to such an excess that I have massive sweat patches showing through my uniform on my back and my hair looks like I've just got out of the shower. This can happen for no apparent reason but always when I'm concentrating so it's very embarrassing at work.  I'm anxious and feel myself getting almost on the verge of a full blown panic attack.  I'm not sleeping and I'm so very tired and weepy. My work is stressful but I've done my job for 13 years and always coped well with whatever has been thrown at me. I wonder if I would be off sick with stress if I wasn't going thru the menopause. I know it sounds ridiculous but is anyone else in the same situation as me?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Another newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 06:53:51 PM »

YEP!  :hug: :welcomemm:

Read the menus left of screen.  Your job is stressful under 'normal' conditions, add hormonal surges to the mix and you need to take time for you. 

How long have you been on an AD? I don't need to tell you that it can take time before the patient feels benefit but often it does.  When did you begin the HRT tablets?

Browse round.  Rest as much as you can because hot flushes in the night can interrupt good quality sleep.

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 06:56:19 PM »

:welcomemm:

I had an HRT break a few years back so know what you mean by drenching sweats. I'd have a fan in my bag & a cool scarf for round my neck. Was always wiped out.

I imagine your job is very stressful. My daughter is a stroke nurse & suffers terribly with stress sometimes. Certainly going through meno isn't helping you.  Try & rest when you can, though doubt it's easy when you're working.

I hope you feel some relief soon!

Lolly58

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 07:19:42 PM »

Thank you for your quick response scuba girl and CLKD. I started Elleste  Duet 2mg yesterday and Sertraline 1 month ago. I know it's early days but I feel so guilty and ashamed not being at work because of the Menopause! I'm lucky that my husband is fantastic and understands what is happening to me. I have a fan in the bedroom and have to be conscious what I wear because some materials just exacerbate the sweating. I've had the sweats for about 2 years now without a break so I'm very hopeful that the HRT helps. I was prescribed Femseven patch prior to this and felt no different.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 07:30:29 PM »

Lolly58 and welcome
DO NOT FEEL GUILTY - you are not alone and certainly not unusual to have such horrid symptoms.  You are addressing the problem and I'm sure you will get relief.  Just remember, many of us have to kiss a few HRT frogs before we find the HRT Prince.
Good luck.  DG x

dkidd

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 04:20:33 PM »

Hello  lolly58  im clutching at straws but I hope you will answer me....was wondering if you are ok now three years on and the femseven issue was it absorbtion problems ..?  Dont think mine is working either 10 weeks on feeling dredful.

Megamind

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 07:10:22 PM »

Hi skidded, I doubt lolly will reply as she hasn't logged in for nearly a year. Perhaps start a new thread with your problem which others may help you with.